The Official Selection for the Extra Credit Innovation Awards

Marudas

Jul 8, 2010
I'll mention one other thing here- Being innovative, does not necessarily make a game fun. There is a reason the AAA game still exists, and its because they're fun. They're not always the most original or interesting games in the world, but there are plenty that deliver good solid hours of enjoyment.

To put it another way:

http://files.sharenator.com/unique_DeMotivational_Posters-s500x375-20165-580.jpg

Axelhander

Feb 3, 2011
MovieBob is secretly angry at all the "Western" games, for whatever that's worth.

X = whatever that's worth = 0.

Misaek

Oct 28, 2008
Hmm, great games that were nominated but I was kind of wishing for a Gregory Weir game to be nominated. How to Raise a Dragon and The Majesty of Color are both amazing and Looming is my favorite game on Kongregate. Nevertheless I think Magicka will definitely take the throne for the fun award.

uguito-93

This space for rent
Jul 16, 2009
UrKnightErrant said:
uguito-93 said:
UrKnightErrant said:
uguito-93 said:
Kakashi on crack said:
plugav said:
uguito-93 said:
Still surprised by the complete absence of AAA games
I'm not, given how often someone at The Escapist points out how AAA titles too expensive to afford the risk of serious innovation. (Which is an observation I agree with, by the way.)
I would have to agree with this. Occasionally you get a good AAA game, but a lot of them are kinda... meh.
gotta say that thats almost always true, but i thought we would at least get one in the fun category (obviously not in the others)
AAA is all crap. Consoles are crap. If you're looking for real innovation in game design (as opposed to gimmicks like motion control and 3D) it's all PC, and it's all indy. That's why I find it so funny when XBox 360 fanboys lock horns with PS3 lovers. New gen console fanboys are a bunch of munchkins and twits IMO. It's like watching people arguing about the relative superiority of brown crap vs. green crap.
i smell a troll trying to start a flame war
Ten hours and still no flame war. :)

If I sound bitter, well... that's because I am. I feel completely disenfranchised by the mainstream game industry, and even betrayed when Nintendo execs start bad-mouthing garage devs. Screw Nintendo. Screw Sony. Screw M$oft's console division. LONG LIVE THE PC! LONG LIVE THE INDIE
DEVS!
In all honesty i agree with the fact that most mainstream games are becoming a brown homogenous paste but every once in a while you can find a very fun expereance. And i admit im also a bit bitter seeing as minecraft didnt even get a mention

justnotcricket

Echappe, retire, sous sus PANIC!
Apr 24, 2008
Extracredits said:
Also, as a note:

We could only include games that were submitted, so if a AAA company didn't submit we couldn't consider their game no matter how deserving it was.
I was thinking about this as I read the list actually - I thought the field seemed a bit narrow generally (regardless of AAA/indie/whatever nature), and I wished that more games had been submitted. However, I guess since I didn't submit anything *blushes* I can't really criticise =P

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
Selvec said:
Magicka made the list? That games complete crap. Its nothing new at all.

More proof that Extra Credit needs to be taken very lightly.
I thought these were voted for by the Escapist community. In that case: GODDAMNIT.

Moeez

May 28, 2009
Wait, they changed the name for Hazard: Journey of Life?! Now it's the less pretentious-sounding Antichamber. Great game, you all should try it out.