The Old Republic Offers Free Weekend

Dandark

Sep 2, 2011
Usaully i'd expect it to go free to play but as someone here said, this is EA who will probably see the word "free" and bury their head in the sand while screaming "No!".

I still expect it will eventully go F2P though so im going to wait untill it does then I may try it if it can even run on my computer.

halobolola

Mar 3, 2011
If i didnt need origin i might have thought about it.

I just renewed my WoW subscription, i would rather play that tbh.

DeMorquist

Dec 15, 2011
Thats not a good sign kids... If you watch ANY MMO you will see when FREE WEEKEND! it usually means youre taking on a large amount of water....

I played to 50 with a friend...didnt spacebar thru my storyline as Sith Warrior but Christ in the Golden Halls of the Allah himself are all the morale choices shitty...and being leveled capped is boring since the worlds are merely just really larges instances and have little to NO freedom.

Did ya hear WoW is offering a free 80 and a 7 day + free Cata....just saying...if ya know...feel like wasting your time...Also RIFT Lite is pretty neat w/ 1-20 for free.

Andrew_C

Mar 1, 2011
Brad Shepard said:
It starts, Im calling it now, It will go F2P within a year.
DeMorquist said:
Thats not a good sign kids... If you watch ANY MMO you will see when FREE WEEKEND! it usually means youre taking on a large amount of water....
Free trials are a standard mechanism to draw subscribers in. I've had them to Eve Online and WoW, neither of which have gone Free to Play. What they do have is engaging gameplay and a fanatical fanbase.

And City of Heroes has only recently gone F2P even though they've been going crazy with the free trials for years (and quite possibly only because all other NCSoft MMO's are F2P).

An important point to note is that Eve and CoH came out before WoW became the defining force in MMO's.

Now Old Republic (TOR is a publisher) is in a different situation. I haven't played it so I can't say anything about the gameplay but it seems to me that while there is a potential fanatical fanbase in Star Wars fans, they are not guaranteed, as witnessed by Star Trek Online and LOTRO going F2P.

I don't quite understand LOTRO going F2P myself. I don't play MMO's any more but was my favourite MMO - as grindy as WoW but superior most other respects, IMHO, and it seemed to have a good community on the US servers. Perhaps they expected too much, these days it seems every MMO is a failure if it doesn't kill WoW.

And that's what will cause Old Republic to go F2P, not the quality of the game, but not achieving the ridiculous goals EA has set for it.

LiquidGrape

Sep 10, 2008
halobolola said:
If i didnt need origin i might have thought about it.

I just renewed my WoW subscription, i would rather play that tbh.
You don't need Origin. At least not for the client, as far as I'm aware.

Anyway, count me as someone who never really warmed to the MMO format earlier, but is actually quite enjoying the game so far. The emphasis on story content over grind (although there is some of the latter to be had if you so wish) is what keeps my interest up.
- That and the kick-ass space combat missions.

Although I only started playing recently, and although the class stories at a first glance seem kinda hit and miss in terms of quality, the Imperial Agent and Sith Inquisitor stories are actually kinda fantastic. Especially the latter allows you to shape your character into one of the most rewardingly ambiguous ones I've seen in a game.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
MrBrightside919 said:
My Old Republic is a little fuzzy, but didn't Taris get blown up in KOTOR?
Nope, just bombarded, this isn't Alderaan. Pretty much everything was destroyed and everyone killed, in TOR, the Republic is leading a recolonization effort to rebuild Taris as a sort of symbol of Republic perseverance, while the Empire is obviously sabotaging the effort to prove otherwise.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Hmmm, I may give this a go over the weekend. Even if I do have to install origin I can always uninstall afterwards.

MrBrightside919

Oct 2, 2008
Vrach said:
MrBrightside919 said:
My Old Republic is a little fuzzy, but didn't Taris get blown up in KOTOR?
Nope, just bombarded, this isn't Alderaan. Pretty much everything was destroyed and everyone killed, in TOR, the Republic is leading a recolonization effort to rebuild Taris as a sort of symbol of Republic perseverance, while the Empire is obviously sabotaging the effort to prove otherwise.
Ah gotcha...

Maxtro

Feb 13, 2011
Wow, took all day to download and get setup with the game.

After watching two movies I got to play.

Go talk to this guy. Along the way, kill X number of monsters. Three battles later and I logged off.

It's WoW in Space.