"The Old Republic will be the biggest failure in MMO history," says EA developer

Googenstien

Jul 6, 2010
I believe it.. hasnt been a good MMO since 2004ish.. so odds say Old Republic will also be crappy. Luckily all they have to do is prove it wrong and they win, but I have major doubts.

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
Meh, he probably holds a big of hatred to the company who let him go and everything they produce, but there are much worse MMOs out there, so Star Wars would have to fuck up big time and with the writing team of Bioware behind it, I don't see the story being as lackluster.

Silver Patriot

Aug 9, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
I said that two years and $30 million ago.

All the signs are already there. Jedi/Sith from start, huge trailers with no gameplay, roughshod use of canon.

Sorry Star Wars fans, this is gonna crash like the Death Star.
Which is BS considering KotOR 2 was left on a Cliffhanger. Why couldn't they just make a KotOR 3? It would have been safer, less costly, and it wouldn't have divided the community.

My name is Fiction

Sep 27, 2010
Straying Bullet said:
One part tells me he should be right because I know I will lose my Japanese girlfriend to this game but on the other hand I want BioWare to succeed what they are doing and I am opting for the latter option because sooner or later I will play the game myself as well!
"Wait you have a Japanese girlfiend [Must not punch face]?"

Wait of topic but any way even if the game mechanics don't work well the fully voiced acting
would give it a competitive edge against the soul stealer WOW.
[plez don't hate me for that WOW comment "(

May 28, 2009
kman123 said:
It's Bioware+Star Wars. It's going to sell regardless. The only question remains is if it'll survive long term.
not long with Guild Wars 2 round the corner

Boxi

Oct 13, 2010
Aw, I've been looking forward to this, but it seems that everyone's picking it apart before it has even been released. I'm still sticking by it, though, at least until it proves this hypothetical shittiness to me.

Super Toast

Supreme Overlord of the Basement
Dec 10, 2009
The guy is getting fired. I don't think he's the right person to talk to about it.

Aphex Demon

Aug 23, 2010
I saw the preview of this at E3 and was like WOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAH.

But woah, £300,000,000. F*ck.

Il still buy it no doubt.

Eagle Est1986

That One Guy
Nov 21, 2007
This guy does sound more than a little bitter, like he's just on a massive rant.

I'm hoping TOR is a huge success, I'm a big KOTOR fan and a Bioware fan but on top of that, some one needs to make an effort to dent Activision's massive hold on the games industry, if EA fail then I get the feeling we might see a crash in the industry.

Ldude893

Apr 2, 2010
He's just bitter because he got sacked.

I'm not a player of Bioware games myself (mainly playing games by Valve), but knowing their experience with RPGs, their being the second place winner in the last March Mayhem, their positive reputation among RPG fans and the length it's taking to develop this Online Game, not to mention their work with KOTOR, I'm going to guess that TOR will end up to be a rather successful MMO.

WittyInfidel

Aug 30, 2010
I said that two years and $30 million ago.

All the signs are already there. Jedi/Sith from start, huge trailers with no gameplay, roughshod use of canon.

Sorry Star Wars fans, this is gonna crash like the Death Star.
I have been under the same impressions, and it saddens me. It could have been something nice, but 'ol Lucasarts is gonna screw the pooch on this one, too.

I've been following the news of it since its start, and this seems pretty much par for the course when it come to TOR. I want to disbelieve and think it's just venom from somebody getting laid off, but too many others have all said the same, from beta testers to inside leaks.

Looks like another nail in the coffin for TOR. I hope they can pull a rabbit out of their hat, because thing's are looking grim, indeed.

OT: All incarnations of the Death Star have blown up, not crashed.

Sven und EIN HUND

Sep 23, 2009
I doubt anything could fail as hard as Warhammer Online and Age of Conan did. Both had so much damn potential and gah.

MrHero17

Jul 11, 2008
Xzi said:
Xzi said:
Impossible. Age of Conan was already released.
AoC is still going, still being supported and still drawing money.
That just makes it an even bigger failure. The fact that they would soullessly continue to take peoples' money knowing full well how much trash their "game" is...disgraceful.
Given that the game came out two years ago part of me thinks it might have gotten a bit better then it was around launch.

iLikeHippos

Jan 19, 2010
And who said men couldn't get emotional? :S

Don't listen to that unreasonable man - Listen to me! They will ALL fall under the might of WoW.

It is the will of Blizzard. And you don't fuck with Blizzard if you know what's good.

Calum_M

Nov 20, 2009
I really hope not. Not that I'll ever play it, but I don't want Bioware to lose enough money to affect any of their other games. Specifically Dragon Age 2.