"The Old Republic will be the biggest failure in MMO history," says EA developer

Feb 13, 2008
Xzi said:
That just makes it an even bigger failure. The fact that they would soullessly continue to take peoples' money knowing full well how much trash their "game" is...disgraceful.
Not really a failure though. Immoral perhaps.

Nmil-ek

Dec 16, 2008
Biggest failure I doubt, will it fail possibly wont attract any new people to MMOs thats for sure so it's going to need to syphon from the existing base and it wont attract WoW's base if it's released too early in that field I'll be amazed if it beats out AoC for a launch day even, that was about perfect timing for a release even if the game tanked.

Personaly I dont care for swtor most definently wont pick it up however one thing you cant do for a MMO is release it without information it's not like a single player game if your MMO dosent suck why no public beta, why no info? You cant fly blind into MMOs they are a significant time investment which leads me to beleive much like APB the game is either bad or they have little confidence in it. And from the tiny bit of gameplay shown animations/movement look stiff, it looks linear, combat is nothing new basic unpolished trinity stuff, space flight is just an onrails shooter, and if that 20 gig number is right then thats worrysome wows about 27 gigs nearer 40 with cata and very little of that is poured into resources or sound.

The whole dynamic of swtor just looks wrong why is there so much focus on single player stuff, and how chaleging can the game be if you have an army of npcs you can bring at your beck and call not to mention how would you do end-game content sureley fighting humanoids all the time would get damned boring real fast.

Not to mention the fanbase, there are few people on earth I would rather spend time with than diehard Star Wars fans the occasional kid on wow I can handle the 30 year old manchild nooooooooo.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
It's EA Louise again. Take with a dumpster's worth of salt.

Seriously, "Biggest failure in MMO history" is currently APB, and it's going to take a hell of a bad game to top that (although FF 14 is certainly trying).

Meggiepants

Not a pigeon roost
Jan 19, 2010
Maybe he's just lowering expectations...

In any case, I probably won't be getting it because I don't currently have a PC that I can play it on. Though if by some miracle it came out on console, I suppose I might play it for a month. But I don't really want to get into a game subscription service, not even for Bioware. I've made up my mind on that.

harv3034

Sep 23, 2010
Vuljatar said:
Dude's bitter, stupid, and utterly full of shit.
seriously.

As Yatzee said
"Star wars is the one thing over which nerds get even weirder" than WoW.

how can that fail?

Vuljatar

Sep 7, 2008
harv3034 said:
Vuljatar said:
Dude's bitter, stupid, and utterly full of shit.
seriously.

As Yatzee said
"Star wars is the one thing over which nerds get even weirder" than WoW.

how can that fail?
And it's Bioware! Not only are they a developer with, essentially, a perfect record, but one of their best games is a Star Wars game.

brodie21

Apr 6, 2009
i smell a rant. i think this guy is pissed about losing his job and is exaggerating in his fury. we shall see whether the game is good or not.

Sep 14, 2009
hmm well i am a huge fan of the kotor series and bioware, but from the start i didn't want them to make the mmo...but i'll wait and play the game before i make any final judgements. even if its just like a single player game with buttloads of content im sure ill like it, as normally i hate mmo's and dont play them because of the fact they are mmo's

nadesico33

It's tragically delicious!
Mar 10, 2010
Played at PAX. I'll give BioWare the benefit of the doubt for the story and morality system things, but in terms of overall gameplay, it should be renamed from "Star Wars: The Old Republic" to "World of Warcraft: Star Wars Edition".

EightGaugeHippo

Apr 6, 2010
Anything star wars related cannot fail, its a physical impossiblity. The fans could find fault after fault and just accept them. Like Star Wars galaxies.

Note: Star Wars is posssibly the one thing other than Morrowind that brings out the geek in me. ^^^^ the above is not hate speak

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
I said that two years and $30 million ago.

All the signs are already there. Jedi/Sith from start, huge trailers with no gameplay, roughshod use of canon.
lolwut?

There's gameplay all over the place, and in 2 years there's only been 2 CGI trailers to fill in some backstory.

Bonecrusher

Nov 20, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
I said that two years and $30 million ago.

All the signs are already there. Jedi/Sith from start, huge trailers with no gameplay, roughshod use of canon.

Sorry Star Wars fans, this is gonna crash like the Death Star.
it is interesting to see most of the people think old republic mmo will be a great success.
but in fact it looks like a very crappy game.

i was a kotor 1-2 fan myself, i also love the jedi knight series.
however this game lacks tons of aspects in it.

- lightsabers was looking like a toy, after design changes, it still is.
- art design is not based on games like kotor or jk, instead based on clone wars animation games.
- the gameplay is closed and restricted like the other mmorpgs, not so much variety for the players.
- they say ship combat will be something like a minigame. however there should be a fully developed space combat.
- i don't hear anything about player created contents, housing or sandboxing.

i will not be surprised if this game crashes quickly.

other than that, SWG was a very good game. i liked the rebel vs the empire clashes in cities that can be happen randomly. i also liked the teras kasi / bounty hunter classes. however they spoiled the game.

Thunderhorse31

Apr 22, 2009
When I first read his rant I thought he lost any credibility when he started whining about the sound, and how much effort they put into it and how proud they were of dialogue and whatnot.

A) Dialogue/Sound takes a ton of time and space to do properly, and
B) Dialogue is what Bioware does, it's what sets them apart from other devs. Why cry when they end up being focused on doing that right?

Seriously, any legitimate concerns he has are buried under a fair amount of tears and bullshit.

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
-Zen- said:
EightGaugeHippo said:
Anything star wars related cannot fail, its a physical impossiblity.
O rly? [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars:_Masters_of_Ter%C3%A4s_K%C3%A4si]
I thought we agreed never to speak of that again. Looks like we didn't bury it deep enough.

OT: This from the EA Louse again? He's very biased at the moment, so I wouldn't put much stock in what he says.