"The Old Republic will be the biggest failure in MMO history," says EA developer

The Austin

Jul 20, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
The Austin said:
Dude.. It's Bioware. You can't be serious.
/shield_up. Bioware does some bad games.

/draw_ballisong. Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood
Well, yeah, but that was an off-shot project.....

*Cry*

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I said that two years and $30 million ago.

All the signs are already there. Jedi/Sith from start, huge trailers with no gameplay, roughshod use of canon.

Sorry Star Wars fans, this is gonna crash like the Death Star.
cannon went out the window long ago for the starwars universe

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
WittyInfidel said:
OT: All incarnations of the Death Star have blown up, not crashed.
Except for the Maw Installation Prototype. That one was sucked into a black hole.

May 28, 2009
xXDeMoNiCXx said:
kman123 said:
It's Bioware+Star Wars. It's going to sell regardless. The only question remains is if it'll survive long term.
not long with Guild Wars 2 round the corner
But that could end up a failure instead and people will go back to TOR. You never know.
Yeah I suppose but to be far the 1st one is still goin strong, not to mention they said they wanna make GW2 playable on pc's that are not top of the line. In addition to no subscription fees.

Tbh my money is on Guild Wars but I suppose only time will tell.

ntnimara

Oct 3, 2008
Super Toast said:
The guy is getting fired. I don't think he's the right person to talk to about it.
I'm surprised he's even allowed to talk about it..

:/

acosn

Sep 11, 2008
Xzi said:
Irridium said:
If its gameplay is similar to WoW's, it will fail. Because people will try it, say "why am I doing this, I've already played this, I don't need to do it all again" and just leave.

Hopefully thats not the case, but since we haven't seen much gameplay save for special occasions. And even then the gameplay wasn't really described or touched on.

Most people say it played like WoW, but with lightsabers.

That is not good. At all.
It's not WoW. There is no auto-attack. That being said, there's only so much you can do with MMO combat due to potential latency issues. Luckily that's where Bioware's improved story-telling and impactful conversation wheel come in. Not to mention full voice-acting. Adds a whole other dimension to this MMO that no other has.
Right.

Voice Acting. Taking a look at my WoW folder, which doesn't include the Cataclysm patch, but has literally everything else it's still not 20 gigs of hard drive space. The Old Republic exceeds that while lacking the 4+ years worth of updates WoW has enjoyed. That's a lot of sound.

If a game could be sold on that when few others have it everyone wouldn't be playing WoW right now because that's actually one of the few things that is strongly lacking.

TOR looks like the status quo from EA as usual. Sound isn't genuinely something people care about unless it's absolutely atrocious, and only gets props for being good when the underpinning game is good itself.

There's an utter black out on actual game play. No trailers for the game play, nothing. Lots of text, but it point's towards something else. Especially when we're only getting CGI trailers.

The game really does feel too much like WoW. Based on what little is presented at any rate. That poses a problem just because perception kills games.

I don't think the game will crash- there's too many mouth breathing star wars fans who'll buy it on the name as well as people who'll buy it on bioware's name, as well as the back lashing community that thrive on the, "Its not WoW!" factor that helped prop Warhammer Online and Age of Conan to post-5-digit sales only to see more than half the community cancel subscriptions within a matter of months.

There's no way in hell it'll match or even begin to approach Blizzard's behemoth of a game, but I find it hard to believe that it'll actually cancel. Most MMOs stay afloat so long as the core game is redeemable.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Rantings from an near-ex-employee aside, I'm more interested in this:
Things aren?t looking good for Star Wars: The Old Republic. From the tepid rumors leaking out from people in the limited closed beta tests
Excuse me but, can anyone please enlighten me about those rumours? That's a lot more interesting and an angry person's venting.

I must also say that that website is extremely pessimistic about this game. The space combat isn't in the style they'd like it to be, and they simply say it sucks? That's weak.
acosn said:
There's an utter black out on actual game play. No trailers for the game play, nothing. Lots of text, but it point's towards something else. Especially when we're only getting CGI trailers.
What the hell? What kind of BS is that?! I heard it more often but it makes zero sense. Way back in 2009 they already did a 4-part walkthrough through the actual game [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1a8mlxCaRAI], including gameplay on various classes. That has only increased over the last year, just do a simple Youtube search.

JensenBlayloc

Apr 7, 2010
The future of TOR in my opinion is tied to one factor alone. Gameplay. If they don't divest themselves of the holy trinity (heals, tanks, dps), which at first I thought they had, but now I have my doubts, then they will fail or at the very least, do no better than Conan, Warhammer, and the long list of other wanna-bees. EQ started it, WoW perfected it. We don't need another WoW, no matter how you dress it up, we already have one. Until someone learns that, we are going to be stuck with mediocre big name titles and indy titles that don't have the proper funding to make work technically.

Arachon

Jun 23, 2008
I said that two years and $30 million ago.

All the signs are already there. Jedi/Sith from start, huge trailers with no gameplay, roughshod use of canon.

Sorry Star Wars fans, this is gonna crash like the Death Star.
Couldn't agree more... They seem to be doing WoW, with a Star Wars skin, and voice acting. We all know how damn well that worked for Star Wars: Galaxies, right?

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
Grilled Cheesus said:
Bullshit. No matter how many donkeys it blows it can not possibly be worse than APB or FF XIV.
Not that I have any hope itll be good but it can't blow any harder than those two.
It would actually require a lot of time, effort and money all aimed at deliberately making it suck to be a bigger failure than those.

Dudes just pissed off that hes getting fired for doing a shit job.

On a personal note I could not possibly care less. As long as the 40k MMO is good that is all I care about.
I think you mean ff XIIV, cuz im pretty sure ff 14 hasn't come out yet, nor is it a mmo. maybe you shouldn't use the FF acronym to describe whatever game ur talking about cuz i think most will interperet it as final fantasy, which isn't an mmo.

AcacianLeaves

Sep 28, 2009
Worst failure ever? No.

Well, maybe you can argue that if the $300 million they reportedly spent on development ends up being true.

I still think Asheron's Call 2 or APB will be the biggest failures. You don't go from 'next best thing' to 'doesn't exist any more' that quickly without doing something very, very wrong.

The developers don't seem to realize that while voice overs and complex stories are nice, we would maybe like to hear something interesting about the gameplay. You know, the thing we pay them for.

The best MMO coming out in the next few years won't be TOR or WH40K, it will surprise everyone when Guild Wars 2 turns out to be a runaway hit.

AcacianLeaves

Sep 28, 2009
spartan231490 said:
Grilled Cheesus said:
Bullshit. No matter how many donkeys it blows it can not possibly be worse than APB or FF XIV.
Not that I have any hope itll be good but it can't blow any harder than those two.
It would actually require a lot of time, effort and money all aimed at deliberately making it suck to be a bigger failure than those.

Dudes just pissed off that hes getting fired for doing a shit job.

On a personal note I could not possibly care less. As long as the 40k MMO is good that is all I care about.
I think you mean ff XIIV, cuz im pretty sure ff 14 hasn't come out yet, nor is it a mmo. maybe you shouldn't use the FF acronym to describe whatever game ur talking about cuz i think most will interperet it as final fantasy, which isn't an mmo.
Since XIIV isn't an actual roman numeral, I'm going to assume that you have a very poor understanding of the topic on hand. Final Fantasy 14 (or XIV) is an MMO that recently released worldwide. It has been universally panned as terrible.

Here, let me help you: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_Fantasy_XIV

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
If it does fail I seriously doubt it will be a bigger failure than APB (which is a pity because the game was actually pretty fun). Bioware haven't let me down yet I still have faith they can pull this off.

wammnebu

Sep 25, 2010
I really hope it doesnt as it is the most expensive game EA ever made. And if it fails it could be absolutely devastating for BioWare. If bioware goes, then one of the last shining hopes for RPG's will fall with it

xXDeMoNiCXx

Mar 10, 2010
xXDeMoNiCXx said:
kman123 said:
It's Bioware+Star Wars. It's going to sell regardless. The only question remains is if it'll survive long term.
not long with Guild Wars 2 round the corner
But that could end up a failure instead and people will go back to TOR. You never know.
Yeah I suppose but to be far the 1st one is still goin strong, not to mention they said they wanna make GW2 playable on pc's that are not top of the line. In addition to no subscription fees.

Tbh my money is on Guild Wars but I suppose only time will tell.
You also bring up a good point but let us remember FF 14. I'm sure the people who enjoyed FF 11 went to play it thinking it would be awesome (as 14 can be thought of as a spiritual sequel since they're the only 2 MMO FF games), saw that it was a mess and went back to FF 11.

NOTE: I pretty much used this as an example, I highly doubt what I said actually took place.

ZodiacBraves

Jun 26, 2008
00slash00 said:
i was on digg last night and came across this article

http://furiousfanboys.com/2010/10/ea-developer-old-republic-will-be-one-of-the-greatest-failures-in-the-history-of-mmos/

i really want a star wars mmo (and dont mention galaxies, because i try to pretend that game never happened).
To be honest, I thought galaxies was a relatively decent MMO (back before they completely changed it). I will admit those memories might be tainted with nostalgia, for it was the first MMO I ever really played, outside of free ones like runescape *shudder*