The oldest game you still play to this day?

Nantucket_v1legacy

acting on my best behaviour
Mar 6, 2012
Arcanum.

I am a sucker for this game despite the glitchiness and easy to manipulate state system. I love it - I was never allowed to play it when I was young as it was my brother's and he never lets me touch his stuff. I used to pretend to be sick so I could stay home from school, pinch it and then play it for a few hours before he came home.

Thank heavens for GOG.com because I now have my own copy and play it to my hearts content. :)

OldDirtyCrusty

Mar 12, 2012
This old piece of a pc can still handle Manhunt and Max Pane 1 and 2 but i have to admit i haven`t touched those games for a while now (4months ago it was time for manhunt again). If the new editions of Monkey Island 1 and 2 do count, they are the oldest games i play once a year.

Otherwise i play games of the current gen, some of them are 5-6 years old now (Heavenly Sword).

debra_ beretta

Sep 8, 2010
I've been working my way through the Half Life series recently, but also have been playing Pharoah and Emperor a bit. I've been wanting to power up my old CD32 for a game of Liberation but sadly the old girl's laser isn't what it used to be and refuses to read discs :-(

Austin Howe

Dec 5, 2010
That I still play regularly would probably be the original Ninja Gaiden, but if we're talking games I personally own, it's Final Fantasy VII that I just beat again yesterday.

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
er
Fallout, Doom and Heretic =P
Fallout is giving me problems though, running out of days to deliver the water chip and I'm stuck in the Hub because I don't have enough to send them water from the water merchants, and I'm too low level to fight the Deathclaw

deathzero021

Feb 3, 2012
Every now and than i still pop in the old Tetris for the Game Boy. Still can't break a million points...

As for console games, i collect retro games so i still play some classics from time to time. Ninja Gaiden is one i still can't complete so i give it a try every once in a while. The original Zelda is a good one as well but i don't play it often. I play some Genesis games rarely.

I'm more of a PC gamer now-a-days, on Steam all the time. Oldest games on here i play are DOS games like DOOM and HeXen. Why I still play them, i don't know but i'm a huge fan of the classic FPS games. Even the Duke and Blood are awesome.

kyogen

Feb 22, 2011
Chess?

Since you probably mean video games, OP, I still play a little bit of Zork and a little bit of Rogue. Both of them saw general release around 1980.

Mistilteinn

Jul 14, 2012
That's a toughie. My brother now has our SNES, but every three or four years I'd pop in some oldies like Super Mario World, Super Mario RPG, and Megaman X.

Adeptus Aspartem

Jul 25, 2011
All classic Lucas Arts games. Monkey Island, Maniac Mansion, Loom, Grim Fandango etc. etc.

Transport Tycoon Deluxe - there's this awesome freeware online version nowadays.

SNES: Rock n' Roll Racing. Best Game Ever. Period.

N64: Goldeneye + Mario Kart. There's nothing to discuss. Just accept it.

Captcha: Pleased as punch.
What?

Vkmies

Oct 8, 2009
As a retro gamer/collector, all of them. Only a few nights ago, I completed Gunstar Heroes with a friend, after playing some Donkey Kong Country, Super Bomberman, random hockey game and other fantastical retro titles. Last night, I had a session of Bushido Blade, best fighting game ever, in my opinion. I guess those were the last ones that I played, but like I said, I am a retro collector, so I game all eras, it doesn't matter to me. Age does not matter to me.

The Wykydtron said:
I don't really hold any real love for the games of last gen besides the obvious Persona 4.
Not trying to start a flamewar, but can I ask why? I mean, why limit yourself to only recent games? Are you planning to ditch this era, when the next one rolls around? Remember, asking purely out of interest, not against people's preferences. :)

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Vkmies said:
As a retro gamer/collector, all of them. Only a few nights ago, I completed Gunstar Heroes with a friend, after playing some Donkey Kong Country, Super Bomberman, random hockey game and other fantastical retro titles. Last night, I had a session of Bushido Blade, best fighting game ever, in my opinion. I guess those were the last ones that I played, but like I said, I am a retro collector, so I game all eras, it doesn't matter to me. Age does not matter to me.

The Wykydtron said:
I don't really hold any real love for the games of last gen besides the obvious Persona 4.
Not trying to start a flamewar, but can I ask why? I mean, why limit yourself to only recent games? Are you planning to ditch this era, when the next one rolls around? Remember, asking purely out of interest, not against people's preferences. :)
I just never had any attachment to the games of last gen cuz i'm pretty sure my un-informed idiot younger self had no idea what good games were and somehow missed near every great game that was on the Xbox. (Didn't have a PS2)

I'm essentially cherry-picking all those really good games that were on the PS2 to this day. I'm still going through Okami and ICO for example. They aren't "old" to me if you get my meaning

I don't go back to those old games because they're old. I don't go back because I was never really there in the first place if you can understand that...

And i'm not going to randomly ditch all of this gens games just because some new thing comes out. That would be silly. XD

Anget Colslaw

Jul 26, 2012
The oldest games I still play are all on my SNES.
Star Fox, Super Mario All-Stars and World, Mega Man X, Robocop vs Terminator to name a few.

pilouuuu

Aug 18, 2009
Sniffdog said:
Chessmaster 10th for me.
I also used to play The Secret of Monkey Island, Monkey Island 2 and Curse of Monkey Island once every year.

Marvel Super Heroes and Street Fighter II sometimes, but I stopped playing much of them after Super Street Fighter IV.

I don't play much older games and I'm afraid I'm becoming less and less tolerant for old games, but I probably should try to play them once in a while.

Vkmies

Oct 8, 2009
The Wykydtron said:
Vkmies said:

The Wykydtron said:
I just never had any attachment to the games of last gen cuz i'm pretty sure my un-informed idiot younger self had no idea what good games were and somehow missed near every great game that was on the Xbox. (Didn't have a PS2)

I'm essentially cherry-picking all those really good games that were on the PS2 to this day. I'm still going through Okami and ICO for example. They aren't "old" to me if you get my meaning

I don't go back to those old games because they're old. I don't go back because I was never really there in the first place if you can understand that...

And i'm not going to randomly ditch all of this gens games just because some new thing comes out. That would be silly. XD
Oh yes, then I completelly get you. Big part of me collecting mes from experiencing these games I never could before, playing games that are older than me. It's great fun.