The Only Person Alive Who Has Intentionally Avoided The Walking Dead

Elizabeth Grunewald

The Pope of Chilitown
Oct 4, 2010
The Only Person Alive Who Has Intentionally Avoided The Walking Dead

The Escapist has located this mythical beast, and she was hiding in plain sight.

Read Full Article

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
Considering the fact that books are almost always better than movies/tv, I always try to watch the movie or whatever first. I won't be disappointed that way.

Krion_Vark

Mar 25, 2010
Those who have not yet seen The Walking Dead must ban together from the hordes of people who wish for them to see it.

WE MUST UNITE or we fall.

zelda2fanboy

Oct 6, 2009
You're not the only one avoiding it. I'm just sick of zombie stuff. It's been done to death and there aren't many more places one can go creatively. Oh, your family died. Oh, your friends are zombies. Oh, unlikely people are violent gun toting killers. Oh, you all died at the end. Oh, it's political allegory. It's not scary anymore, at least for me. The original 1979 Dawn of the Dead said it all and everything else was just redundant. The fact that the genre is going into self parody means its days are numbered. Genre trends seem to always come in cycles, like a special I saw on Italian Westerns.

1. Sincerity
2. Allegory
3. Self parody

Here's how the first wave of zombie flicks went.
Night of the Living Dead - horror
Dawn of the Dead - allegory
Return of the Living Dead - comedy

Risingblade

Mar 15, 2010
Krion_Vark said:
Those who have not yet seen The Walking Dead must ban together from the hordes of people who wish for them to see it.

WE MUST UNITE or we fall.
We shall defeat our foes likes the mindless zombies they are! :D

toomuchnothing

Jul 5, 2010
I've never gotten the argument that someone wants to read the book/comics first because all it ever leads to is them thinking the source material is better because of how much is left to the viewers imagination. In a book they may give you descriptions on how a character/location looks, sounds, smells and such but that's still all filled in by the readers imagination. Take for example a description that contains "ruggedly handsome" and I'm quite sure that varies from person to person by a great amount. Even in comics where visual representations are given things like a character's voice are still left up to the reader so of course written source material is almost always "better" because the scene you painted in your head was exactly what you would have wanted to see within the boundaries laid out in text and ink.

IMO entertainment should be graded on its own merits/faults and not against those of others. I don't know too many people who read a movie's script first before seeing the movie only to say "well the script was better than what came out on film".

Also I never got why people cared so much about the deviation between the comic and the movie ending of Watchmen. So what? Its not a Vagina/Shoggoth hybrid that brings people together. If anything I was more annoyed at Dr. Manhattan's lack of cryptic message before he leaves Veidt as I felt it carried far more weight than what exactly killed all those people.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
The Walking Dead is...well, the Comic is basically pure puppy strangling clinical depression fuel. The show is probably better.

Havn't seen either, don't intend to.

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
I live in Australia, and don't have cable, so I haven't seen it either. Does that make me a bad person?

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
I honestly couldn't stand the comics and I really tried my best to get into them but no luck. It was just depressing for the sake of it and the characters were just unlikeable as hell to me. I think the comics ruined any chance of me liking this series which is a shame... D:

Stevey M

Technobabbler
Feb 11, 2009
I'm not a huge comic fan but I too try to always read/watch the original content before the new stuff. Good read.

Welcome aboard, by the way, Elizabeth! :)

teknoarcanist

Jun 9, 2008
There's a huge paperback compendium of the first 48 issues of the comic series that I picked up a couple months ago. It makes for a great 2-3 day read, and I can't possibly see how they're going to cram that material in anything less than the first season or two, so that ought to set you for a while.

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
I have been digging the walking dead from the first trade. It's well worth getting the compendium as it is bastard cheap for how much is in it. It's not the best ever comic ever made ever. but it's entertaining and oddly appeals to a wide audience since it is basically a zombie soap opera. The t.v. show does seem to differ in some areas but the main plot seems the same so far. I say hold off on the comic if you want to stop spoilers, I love depressing comics and unlikable characters. (as my avatar proves) As a great man once quoted of another great man "The world is a good place and worth fighting for...I agree with the second part"

I honestly cannot wait for Rick's speech. THE speech with THAT line. match grade bullets for anyone who can quote it. (spoiler tags obviously)

zelda2fanboy said:
Quite true but I think that no-one has done it well until now. Romero is hugely over-rated in my opinion. Zombies have never been taken seriously I believe. Give it a try it could suprise you. It really is one of the first times slow zombies have been portrayed well. The speech I mentioned sums up WHY I think the walking dead is great.