The only thing they can't do is watch you sleep - for now. The Government's eye is on you.

Textbook Bobcat

Sep 9, 2009
Today, in the UK, a law was passed that allows the government to monitor (we know they did this anyway) and store for a year all electric transactions you participate in. By this I mean, text messaging, e-mailing, even me; posting on this forum, is now to be collected and stored to "protect" me against apparent terrorist threats or other such political bullshit reasoning.

Never has something had such a profound affect on me, and at the time of writing this I have no desire to live. This isn't a cry for help or something idiotic like that, it's the potential, long reaching consequences such an item can have on our society.

The government now have free reign to collate data from the public, to gauge their reaction to anything they now do, no matter how personal the method of exchange is.

It can be argued that if you type on a forum it is free knowledge, everyone has every right to do what they will with it. However, what about e-mails and other one-to-one communications, do third parties have a right to this as well?

I'll give you a scenario. A child at school has a risk of being bullied. The school has a proposal; all conversations, interests, habits and interactions of this child are to be recorded under the promise it may help to reduce the threat of bullying.

Would this be an acceptable arrangement? So why the hell is something that is a lot more serious just allowed to exist?

The amusing thing is, the headlines of the Sun (a British tabloid, i.e. news for idiots) today has the front page emblazoned with Gordon Brown's satanic (read: sarcasm) act of misspelling a troop's name. I'm not taking away from the fact that it is indeed a tragedy, but it is merely being used as a screen to cover something far more serious.

If you're watching the pinstripes, you won't be paying attention to the bat.

Going further into this, where is our "freedom"? Isn't it meant to be protected? Or is it only meant to be protected from certain people? Parents can know what makes you tick, as long as they promise to keep the front door locked, so to speak.

What happens when the government deems this as not enough? "We need cameras in people's houses to make sure there are no terrorists in people's houses" and the public will lap it up, as they've been groomed to do so.

Its times like this I genuinely can understand why people believe governments attack their own soil, their own people. People crave safety, and it seems are more than willing to give up other basic rights to attain it. I discussed this at work, and the response: "As long as it helps them prevent terrorism". A well educated colleague no less, but completely brain washed, and completely accepting of something that is quite clearly wrong.

Attack someone with a knife, and they'll desire "knife protection", as sure as the Sun will set tonight. "If you want to make an omelette, you have to break some eggs"; if you want to create a big brother society, you have to make some sacrifices.

The Iron Fist has tightened at an alarming rate over the last few years, and I fear where we will be in twenty years. And the best thing about this? This post will be collected as data, under the topic "Reaction to Big Brother: Phase 1"

Ciarang

Elite Member
Dec 4, 2008
Oh you are kidding me, they already made the decision to do this?

I thought it wouldn't be in action until next year...

Sassafrass

This is a placeholder
Legacy
Aug 24, 2009
Country
United Kingdom
Oh my God!
Must post something in white text just because I want to.

Mr Brown, if you're reading this, can you leave please? Pwetty please? Also, I'm planning to blow up Scotland using haggis and cows.

Eldarion

Sep 30, 2009
I live in America.

*points at you* HA HA HA HA HA

But no seriously, I love freedom.

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
Orwell's greatest dystopian novel is slowly becoming a reality,har har har!

And it's a shame,since two of my good friends are in England. I can't imagine how people are not flipping out over it. 1984 should be made a mandatory read in schools,i say.

cossos said:
Oh Comon, is there no Privacy in the world now
Nah,there still is. A lil' bit. But i'd like to keep it. Just for the novelty value.

tucci

Jul 9, 2008
I'm sure the government will find such useful knowledge in monitoring everybody's stupid posts.
OMG Randell just tweeted he went outside. OH NOES! Someone just posted another lolcat on 4chan

Truly good government spending for ya

Ciarang

Elite Member
Dec 4, 2008
sasquatch99 said:
Oh my God!

Mr Brown, if you're reading this, can you leave please? Pwetty please? Also, I'm planning to blow up Scotland using haggis and cows.
Oh wow, that was a good one.

Stop watching me type! :eek:

Sassafrass

This is a placeholder
Legacy
Aug 24, 2009
Country
United Kingdom
Ciarang said:
sasquatch99 said:
Oh my God!

NEVAH!!!!

Wanna join me in blowing up Scotland using haggis and cows?

EDIT: Well, I failed then.

Johnn Johnston

May 4, 2008
sasquatch99 said:
Oh my God!

What white text? There was clearly nothing there, WINK. And there is nothing below this text, nosiree.

I supply the haggis, you supply the cows.

Ciarang

Elite Member
Dec 4, 2008
sasquatch99 said:
Ciarang said:
sasquatch99 said:
Oh my God!

NEVAH!!!!

Wanna join me in blowing up Scotland using haggis and cows?
So you're the one who's been stalking me!

Good, we attack at midnight, unless you have other plans? =P

Textbook Bobcat

Sep 9, 2009
Dark Templar said:
I live in America.

America is already subject to actions of this nature.
tucci said:
I'm sure the government will find such useful knowledge in monitoring everybody's stupid posts.
OMG Randell just tweeted he went outside. OH NOES! Someone just posted another lolcat on 4chan

Truly good government spending for ya
That then alleviates eerything objectionable about this doesn't it? I wish to put a camera in your house, there's nothing interesting you do, but it's perfectly acceptable for that reason.

And it is good government spending. Knowing what your citizens think is priceless, it allows for a great deal many things.

vampirekid.13

May 8, 2009
Textbook Bobcat said:
Today, in the UK, a law was passed that allows the government to monitor (we know they did this anyway) and store for a year all electric transactions you participate in. By this I mean, text messaging, e-mailing, even me; posting on this forum, is now to be collected and stored to "protect" me against apparent terrorist threats or other such political bullshit reasoning.

Never has something had such a profound affect on me, and at the time of writing this I have no desire to live. This isn't a cry for help or something idiotic like that, it's the potential, long reaching consequences such an item can have on our society.

The government now have free reign to collate data from the public, to gauge their reaction to anything they now do, no matter how personal the method of exchange is.

It can be argued that if you type on a forum it is free knowledge, everyone has every right to do what they will with it. However, what about e-mails and other one-to-one communications, do third parties have a right to this as well?

I'll give you a scenario. A child at school has a risk of being bullied. The school has a proposal; all conversations, interests, habits and interactions of this child are to be recorded under the promise it may help to reduce the threat of bullying.

Would this be an acceptable arrangement? So why the hell is something that is a lot more serious just allowed to exist?

The amusing thing is, the headlines of the Sun (a British tabloid, i.e. news for idiots) today has the front page emblazoned with Gordon Brown's satanic (read: sarcasm) act of misspelling a troop's name. I'm not taking away from the fact that it is indeed a tragedy, but it is merely being used as a screen to cover something far more serious.

If you're watching the pinstripes, you won't be paying attention to the bat.

Going further into this, where is our "freedom"? Isn't it meant to be protected? Or is it only meant to be protected from certain people? Parents can know what makes you tick, as long as they promise to keep the front door locked, so to speak.

What happens when the government deems this as not enough? "We need cameras in people's houses to make sure there are no terrorists in people's houses" and the public will lap it up, as they've been groomed to do so.

Its times like this I genuinely can understand why people believe governments attack their own soil, their own people. People crave safety, and it seems are more than willing to give up other basic rights to attain it. I discussed this at work, and the response: "As long as it helps them prevent terrorism". A well educated colleague no less, but completely brain washed, and completely accepting of something that is quite clearly wrong.

Attack someone with a knife, and they'll desire "knife protection", as sure as the Sun will set tonight. "If you want to make an omelette, you have to break some eggs"; if you want to create a big brother society, you have to make some sacrifices.

The Iron Fist has tightened at an alarming rate over the last few years, and I fear where we will be in twenty years. And the best thing about this? This post will be collected as data, under the topic "Reaction to Big Brother: Phase 1"
the better question is why does that upset you so much? it pretty much only affects you if you take part in illegal activities on the internet and over the phone. so providing you are a fine upstanding brit this really shouldnt matter to you at all.

Jun 13, 2009
I have a sudden urge to use every possible terror threat keyword I can think of in one sentence. I'm sure their computer's will love it.

But really. This is..bullshit taken to a whole new level.

Hey! You there! Yeah you, you nosey bastard reading my texts. Yeah, that is your wife's number. Perhaps you should spend more time surveying her, not me, you cretin.
EDIT:
vampirekid.13 said:
the better question is why does that upset you so much? it pretty much only affects you if you take part in illegal activities on the internet and over the phone. so providing you are a fine upstanding brit this really shouldnt matter to you at all.
I have nothing to hide, but that doesn't mean the thought of being monitored and having every action I do stored for 12 months is any less repulsive. Other than if I break the law, the government shouldn't be allowed to have any control over my life, and yet now they can monitor all of us?

Eldarion

Sep 30, 2009
Textbook Bobcat said:
Dark Templar said:
I live in America.

America is already subject to actions of this nature.
Not as much as the media claims. The wiretapping thing has been over for a long time.

Sassafrass

This is a placeholder
Legacy
Aug 24, 2009
Country
United Kingdom
Johnn Johnston said:
What white text? There was clearly nothing there, WINK. And there is nothing below this text, nosiree.

I supply the haggis, you supply the cows.
Ciarang said:
SNIPPED! OH NOES!
Good, we attack at midnight, unless you have other plans? =P
Good. The plan is coming together.

We attack at midnight, gentlemen.

GodsAndFishes

Mar 22, 2009
One step closer to the revolution.
Come on Govvies you're digging your own grave doing this.

Textbook Bobcat said:
All I can say to this is, they better get used to being insulted every minute, every hour, every day. It'll be like a 24/7 showing of Have I got news for you.