The only thing they can't do is watch you sleep - for now. The Government's eye is on you.

SnootyEnglishman

May 26, 2009
Well more extremely paranoid government tactics i see.i can see the situation now I'm posting on a forum expressing my interest in a video game that has some violence and explosions in it next thing i know i have an entire task force of heavily armored marine bashing down my doors and destroying my living space looking for an item some old codger thinks i have.

spuddyt

Nov 22, 2008
I don't care.
Why?
I'll leave the country if it gets too bad, and not look back.

The_Echo

Mar 18, 2009
Kollega said:
Orwell's greatest dystopian novel is slowly becoming a reality,har har har!

And it's a shame,since two of my good friends are in England. I can't imagine how people are not flipping out over it. 1984 should be made a mandatory read in schools,i say.
It is in my school. I'm reading it later this year.

Tiny116

The Cheerful Pessimist
May 6, 2009
asinann said:
That's what we in the U.S. told you was going to start happening when you were ok with your guns being taken, then you were ok with the cameras everywhere public.

Soon you won't be able to take a leak without the government analyzing it for drugs as it comes out.
True enough, but at least I can walk down the street and have a misunderstanding in the street with the police and talk it out rashionally without having a handgun cocked in my face.
I mean seriously, every arrest i've seen involving American police includes a hastily drawn side-arm and a "get the fuck on the ground"
{Yes I watch American cop shows, so what they make good early morning TV ;-)}

Kevvers

Sep 14, 2008
firedfns13 said:
Although I will hand it to you, we've never made a holiday for someone trying to blow up congress.
Err the holiday is to celebrate the fact that we caught and executed him before he was able to pull it off, so its more of a 'never forget' kind've thing (though I'm sure you're aware of that). We still used throw a 'guy' on the bonfire when I was a kiddy, which when you think about it is actually the residual memory of the tradition of burning an effigy of Guy Fawkes though it never occurred to me at the time! I don't think people do that these days although I think some people do burn effigies of annoying celebs or MPs in a sort of tongue in cheek way.

dietpeachsnapple

May 27, 2009
I mean no offense, but if there is a true need for privacy, do not seek it on the internet. None of this process is exactly 'secure.'

Might I recommend enjoying a face to face conversation with a friend while on a walk?

So long as you trust them not to wear a recording device (and as a 'friend,' I would like to think they wouldn't,) you will be able to bask in an ever expanding pool of privacy with no qualms as to whom may be intruding into the private and intimate affair.

Gmano

Apr 3, 2009
Dark Templar said:
I live in America.

*points at you* HA HA HA HA HA

But no seriously, I love freedom.
Yeah, because the patriot act is protecting you real well. *eyeroll*

pelopelopelo

Sep 4, 2009
The real problem isn't now, it's what may happen with this law in the future.

Sure, most people have 'nothing to hide' (usually wrong, most people only follow the laws that it suits them to obey), but what happens if the government changes, as it is wont to do, to a far more sinister one?

The BNP have been gaining momentum, and while it may ultimately lead nowhere, you must remember that Labour got into power without a majority of the votes last time around. A government may decide that what is now merely innocuous banter about how silly they're being is actually dissent, and there are many places today where political dissent carries a far higher penalty than it does in Britain.

Same problem with I.D. cards. Far as I remember, in the Identity Cards Act 2006 specifies a whole range of information that can be stored in the database, and it doesn't take much for someone to change it so it says, for instance, your sexuality. If we find ourselves in the clutches of a considerably more fascist regime than we are now, one can imagine the uses to which they would put them.

But hey, as long as we're stopping those bloody terrorists, right?

Carboncrown

Oct 17, 2009
"Strength trough purity - purity trough faith! England prevails!"

jk

Tough i am feeling a bit paranoid.

Textbook Bobcat

Sep 9, 2009
Avykins said:
I am just curious why your "well educated colleague" is so clearly wrong and brain washed. Because he approves of something you do not? That is stupid. Quite clearly stupid. Maybe he just sees some benefits that you, obviously less well educated, do not.
Because anything the government is done so after massive considerations. I keep things from my inferiors all the time, and I'm comparitively unimportant and so is my business (I'm a pensions actuary), so what makes you think the highest seat of power will reveal all their intentions?

It was intended as an example, even the most learned of us can be easily swayed by the wool. I'll ignore your sleights as immaturity.

Avykins said:
Buuuut eh, I don't care. It happens in the UK, its been happening in the US for years (yes, it has, the US govt does not bother telling you) so chances are any emails or shit I send to people in either country will be intercepted.
I do nothing illegal enough to be charged by either country and what little I do say that could be considered illegal they are unable (and would not even bother) to do shit about as I am not in either country.
This is why it occurs, so many people roll over and accept it. The human race is a shadow of what it once was.

Textbook Bobcat

Sep 9, 2009
Lebynthos said:
The real problem isn't now, it's what may happen with this law in the future.

Sure, most people have 'nothing to hide' (usually wrong, most people only follow the laws that it suits them to obey), but what happens if the government changes, as it is wont to do, to a far more sinister one?

The BNP have been gaining momentum, and while it may ultimately lead nowhere, you must remember that Labour got into power without a majority of the votes last time around. A government may decide that what is now merely innocuous banter about how silly they're being is actually dissent, and there are many places today where political dissent carries a far higher penalty than it does in Britain.

Same problem with I.D. cards. Far as I remember, in the Identity Cards Act 2006 specifies a whole range of information that can be stored in the database, and it doesn't take much for someone to change it so it says, for instance, your sexuality. If we find ourselves in the clutches of a considerably more fascist regime than we are now, one can imagine the uses to which they would put them.

But hey, as long as we're stopping those bloody terrorists, right?
Thank you

Sebenko

Dec 23, 2008
Maybe I should vote BNP. They might be fascist dicks, but at least they're not trying to hide it (well, they try, but everyone knows).

TheGreatCoolEnergy

Aug 30, 2009
Well, as far as I'm aware, the U.K. is still a democracy right? Rally support for your cause, and then vote in a party that values freedom over this bullshit. If there isn't a party like that, then earn enough support to start your own party. Tis the beauty of democracy: if you don't like it, you can change it in a few years.

Or, if it comes to it, you could start a riot.

firedfns13

Jun 4, 2009
Kevvers said:
firedfns13 said:
Although I will hand it to you, we've never made a holiday for someone trying to blow up congress.
Err the holiday is to celebrate the fact that we caught and executed him before he was able to pull it off, so its more of a 'never forget' kind've thing (though I'm sure you're aware of that). We still used throw a 'guy' on the bonfire when I was a kiddy, which when you think about it is actually the residual memory of the tradition of burning an effigy of Guy Fawkes though it never occurred to me at the time! I don't think people do that these days although I think some people do burn effigies of annoying celebs or MPs in a sort of tongue in cheek way.
XD
oops...
I thought it was something else.

StarStruckStrumpets

Jan 17, 2009
Perhaps the government are getting ready to make everything shiny like Mirror's Edge?

I honestly don't care. They can do what they want. They will only bring about a civil uprising if they go too far. Even the armed forces will rebel eventually. Every man has their price.

Textbook Bobcat

Sep 9, 2009
TheGreatCoolEnergy said:
Well, as far as I'm aware, the U.K. is still a democracy right? Rally support for your cause, and then vote in a party that values freedom over this bullshit. If there isn't a party like that, then earn enough support to start your own party. Tis the beauty of democracy: if you don't like it, you can change it in a few years.

Or, if it comes to it, you could start a riot.
If only it was... My cynicism has reached new heights here. I've never thought something could be paraphrased as "choice of the people" when all you vote on is a face, 75% of MPs remain the same at change of house anyway.

StarStruckStrumpets said:
Perhaps the government are getting ready to make everything shiny like Mirror's Edge?

I honestly don't care. They can do what they want. They will only bring about a civil uprising if they go too far. Even the armed forces will rebel eventually. Every man has their price.
Not if it's gradual.

Add 1xN (N being day number) grain(s) of salt to a person of you'r choosing's tea a day and tell me that they'll notice.

Sombra Negra

Nov 4, 2008
Not that I'm defending this or anything, but we haven't quite moved to 1984 levels yet. We can still think what we like, and have enough free speech left to complain about this shit.

[color= white]OsamabombplotdirtybombLondonJihad. Now I have your attention, mister filterer person, YOU ARE KILLING FREEDOM YOU MEANIE.[/color]