The Order: 1886 Sheds Light on New Details

Cognimancer

Imperial Intelligence
Jun 13, 2012
The Order: 1886 Sheds Light on New Details

We can rest easy knowing that developers are already using next-gen technology to bring dirt and grime to all new levels of fidelity.

Ready at Dawn revealed their first original IP, the steampunk-style The Order: 1886, with a dramatic trailer at E3 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/124818-The-Order-1886-Fights-Monsters-With-Steampunk]. Details since then have been scarce, but now they're marginally less scarce thanks to a recent interview with the studio's co-founder, Ru Weerasuriya. The first official comments we've heard about the game are pointing to a cinematic action-adventure experience, with a few surprises in the gameplay department.

"The Order is a third person action adventure with shooting mechanics," Weerasuriva says. "It's very much story-based ... it's what we call a filmic experience." From the sound of it, the game will be mostly linear, sticking to its anachronistic guns and moving through a pre-determined plot. It's probably worth noting that Ru didn't define it as a shooter, so there could be more dialogue and exploration than chained setpieces littered with chest-high walls.

The "filmic" part of the description is no joke. Weerasuriva is enthusiastic about the visual experience the team is crafting with the PS4's technology; the game's camera has "physical lenses" built into the engine to capture true lens distortion and light effects. This is in contrast to most modern games, which he thinks can break immersion with unrealistically clean images. The Order aims to simulate grit and filth on an unprecedented scale - hopefully, it'll be so realistically dirty that you'll actually believe you're in London.

Source: PlayStation Blog [http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/06/25/the-order-1886-ready-at-dawn-divulges-new-details/]

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Well, I must say that this news is rather disappointing. I certainly wasn't necessarily hoping for a balls to the wall shooter experience, but any time a game is described as "filmic" I get really worried. It's not the linear aspect that frightens me, it's more gameplay being overtaken by a developers desire to basically make a movie instead of a game.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
I think this is the first I've heard of anything resembling gameplay details in this game. I'll keep an eye on it. Might be a new IP worth picking up. All I could say before was that I liked the basic setting. I'd like to see some gameplay and know what the enemy is, though.

s_h_a_d_o

Mr Propellerhead
Jun 15, 2010
Cognimancer said:
...hopefully, it'll be so realistically dirty that you'll actually believe you're in London.
I doubt very much whether anyone will ever achieve that much visual fidelity.
:p

Seriously though, the points made (lenses, grime, etc) are extremely salient to breaking through that CG barrier of sterility alluded to.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
well, that doesn't exactly sound like a game everyone is going to get hot over when the gameplay previews start rolling out. Seriously, I'm getting a feeling that this ISN'T going to have anything gameplay-wise that would require next-gen tech.

Arawn

Dec 18, 2003
Mixed feelings. I like the setting; the steampunk like weapons and dreary city. But it is possible to make it bland as much as it can become something awesome. I do hope it's not linear. So much potential. I don't care how pretty it may look, but it can't hurt. Shoot for the moon, don't settle for the boring "cover based shooter" middle ground. They have the chance to make one of the first unique games for PS4. Break the mold, make gold.

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
I was hoping for something cool, but i'm so tired of games being filmic experiences that i'll probably pass this one. If i want to watch a bad movie, i'll watch a bad movie thank you very much!And it will be significantly shorter :p.
a

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
I'm starting to get more of a Hunter: The Reckoning vibe from this than Left 4 Dead.

Busard

Nov 17, 2009
Ehh....I'll wait and see. I hate the words "cinematic" and "filmic" for games. It can be translated to "Play 5 minutes and then look at this long scripted cutscene where you do nothing, and then shitload of QTEs ARE YOU MASHING THESE BUTTONS SON ?"

Valanthe

Sep 24, 2009
Busard said:
Ehh....I'll wait and see. I hate the words "cinematic" and "filmic" for games. It can be translated to "Play 5 minutes and then look at this long scripted cutscene where you do nothing, and then shitload of QTEs ARE YOU MASHING THESE BUTTONS SON ?"
HAMMER THE BUTTONS AND WIGGLE THE STICKS!

I'm sorry, that was all I could think of when I read your post, so I had to share the love. On the topic at hand though, I'm cautiously optimistic for this game. "Filmic" is a pretty vague term, but I don't like the sound of it, however his choice to define it as an "action adventure with shooting mechanics" makes me think it'll have a decent enough focus on story and character to make for a few shortcomings.

So like I said, cautiously optimistic, I want this one to do well, there are so few games that do Steampunk well, but I'm not letting my hopes get too high, lest they be crushed.

Dark Knifer

May 12, 2009
For the second time, sounds kinda shit.

I'll give it a chance but 'filmic' is always a terrible thing to say about a game unless you elaborate ALOT into what that means.

Like if it was meant to be based in a film or something that could be cool like that.

Ishigami

Sep 1, 2011
I think they did a fine job thus far. I didn't realize the trailer was in engine until the screenshots arrived. If that is what is they are going for: Yes please.
As for the gameplay we will see. Not every game can reinvent the wheel.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
This game and the new Killzone are the only reasons I want a PS4, I don't care for the rest of 8th gen of consoles.

velcthulhu

Feb 14, 2009
Uh, if I were actually there, there wouldn't be a camera lens between me and what I was looking at. So they're not so much trying to immerse me in the game, as trying to make me feel like I'm in a movie theater, watching the game.
Note to game developers: if I wanted to go to the movie theater, I would do that. That is a possible thing. I don't need a game about it, indeed I have chosen to play a game instead. What is your goal here? And what head trauma caused you to believe the phrase "filmic experience" is something that should ever be used by anyone?

...and to think I got excited about this game from the trailer. That'll teach me to get my hopes up.

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
Slightly less hopeful that I was before for this. Hrm. Oh well. Guess I'll just wait and see.