The Other Mrs. Doctor Who

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
The Other Mrs. Doctor Who

If Romana could've gotten busy in the TARDIS, she might've stuck around longer.

Read Full Article

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
You said that this article had spoilers for the Wedding of River song but I can't actually see any.

Another good article, it is nice to see someone writing Doctor Who content (and the fact that you are a Doctor Who fan does make you that much cooler). I've always been a fan of River Song and the fact that she can (and does) show him up is my favourite part of her character. The best example of this is in the episode when he keeps getting annoyed that she is making corrections to his flying of the Tardis.

Feb 13, 2008
It's well known that Mr. Baker...rather liked the ladies. There's serious hints that there was a relationship between him and Leela, for example.

And then there's Tegan Jovanka and 5, Perpugilliam Brown and 6, and very obviously Sarah Jane/4, Rose/10-11.

But given Fred was President of Gallifrey before the war, I think she did rather well away from the Renegade. Especially as it's the same post that the Doctor turned down in The Deadly Assassin.

And Susan? The original Doctor's grand-daughter?

I don't think he's ever been chaste, more chased.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Vault Citizen said:
You said that this article had spoilers for the Wedding of River song but I can't actually see any.

Another good article, it is nice to see someone writing Doctor Who content (and the fact that you are a Doctor Who fan does make you that much cooler). I've always been a fan of River Song and the fact that she can (and does) show him up is my favourite part of her character. The best example of this is in the episode when he keeps getting annoyed that she is making corrections to his flying of the Tardis.
There's one at the very end. Minor, and kind of obvious, given the title of the episode, but still. I hate to catch people unawares and diminish their enjoyment of the show at all.

The_root_of_all_evil said:
It's well known that Mr. Baker...rather liked the ladies. There's serious hints that there was a relationship between him and Leela, for example.

And then there's Tegan Jovanka and 5, Perpugilliam Brown and 6, and very obviously Sarah Jane/4, Rose/10-11.

But given Fred was President of Gallifrey before the war, I think she did rather well away from the Renegade. Especially as it's the same post that the Doctor turned down in The Deadly Assassin.

Susan may have called him "grandfather," but it wasn't taken as being literal.

Also, are you saying that the actor had a way with the ladies, or the character? Because if it's the latter, I have to completely disagree.

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
Vault Citizen said:

There's one at the very end. Minor, and kind of obvious, given the title of the episode, but still. I hate to catch people unawares and diminish their enjoyment of the show at all.
I just saw the sentence in question. I somehow missed it when reading the article, sorry.

newwiseman

Aug 27, 2010
River Song / Melody Pond is interesting but now that we know how her story starts & ends and why she is allowed to walk out of prison without being put into a higher security area; I just don't see how Moffat will make her a more interesting character. Especially while maintaining the "they meet in reverse order" story structure.

I'm more interested in what Jenny, the Doctor's Daughter, has been up to. She wasn't thought up by Moffat, Stephen Greenhorn has that honor, but he has said that he would be interested in her getting her own spin-off or at the very least making a reappearance in the show. Considering how the Doctor is supposed to be dead and all it would make a great launching point next season for him to happen across her, whom he believes is dead. Especially when you consider how he's left Rory and Amy on their own for so long.

Feb 13, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
Also, are you saying that the actor had a way with the ladies, or the character? Because if it's the latter, I have to completely disagree.
A bit from column A, a bit from column B. And I forgot about Dr. Grace Holloway and 8. Certainly something going on there.

1,2,7 were more paternal. 3...I think there was a May/December with Jo Grant - that's certainly hinted at in the acting.
Tom Baker was certain there was something going on with Leela ("That fur bikini, you know"), and the rest haven't been as forthcoming.

Given Romana 2 IRL ended up with Richard "I am the Lord of Atheism" Dawkins though, I think Romana got the better deal.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
newwiseman said:
River Song / Melody Pond is interesting but now that we know how her story starts & ends and why she is allowed to walk out of prison without being put into a higher security area; I just don't see how Moffat will make her a more interesting character. Especially while maintaining the "they meet in reverse order" story structure.

I'm more interested in what Jenny, the Doctor's Daughter, has been up to. She wasn't thought up by Moffat, Stephen Greenhorn has that honor, but he has said that he would be interested in her getting her own spin-off or at the very least making a reappearance in the show. Considering how the Doctor is supposed to be dead and all it would make a great launching point next season for him to happen across her, whom he believes is dead. Especially when you consider how he's left Rory and Amy on their own for so long.
Speaking of story arcs getting brushed aside, that's an absolutely sterling example.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Susan Arendt said:
A bit from column A, a bit from column B. And I forgot about Dr. Grace Holloway and 8. Certainly something going on there.

1,2,7 were more paternal. 3...I think there was a May/December with Jo Grant - that's certainly hinted at in the acting.
Tom Baker was certain there was something going on with Leela ("That fur bikini, you know"), and the rest haven't been as forthcoming.

Given Romana 2 IRL ended up with Richard "I am the Lord of Atheism" Dawkins though, I think Romana got the better deal.
Sorry, but I simply don't agree on that at all. (Well, the Doc shagging the help, not the Richard Dawkins thing. Don't even know who that is. :))

Perhaps other folks can chime in on whether or not they see the Classic Docs as chaste or not?

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
"7, really?"
"8 for you honey"
"Stop it"
"Make me"
"Yeah well maybe I will!"

*from the other side of the room*
"Is this really important flirting?"

Yeah, I enjoy River's flirting with Smith mainly because he flirts back. And since we still don't know the full story of their true relationship with each other, it makes it all the more fun.

Edit: I agree with root that there was something going on between Grace Holloway and 8 on screen. I haven't seen enough old Who episodes to make a informed opinion on anything else but Leela running around in a leather skin tight clothing is asking for trouble from a male designated driver!

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Since I've only watched since Christopher Ecclestone, and since Billie Piper is smoking hot (hellooo Secret Diary...), it rather irks me when he gets flirty with someone else.

And River is really quite annoying.

Feb 13, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
Sorry, but I simply don't agree on that at all. (Well, the Doc shagging the help,
This is where I think there's a real problem with the whole "unreality" situation.

I don't think he "shagged" them.

I do think he was "intimate" with them.

Given alien physiology, there's still quite a distinction.

And certainly not all...but if he can "love", then he can surely "lust".

And 4 was certainly lusty.

But, of course, then we're into the 9/Jack/Rose triangle...because 9 was definitely flirting with both. Or the 10/Master 'ship.

It'd be honestly easier looking at whether Homer Simpson and Maude Flanders ever thought about it.
Yes, they did imho. Homer especially - but he's thought about Ned as well.

Edit: Editing Y U NO WORK QUICK?

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
Susan Arendt said:

Sorry, but I simply don't agree on that at all. (Well, the Doc shagging the help, not the Richard Dawkins thing. Don't even know who that is. :))

Perhaps other folks can chime in on whether or not they see the Classic Docs as chaste or not?
I've seen a fair amount of Classic Who and I can't say any of the Doctor's previous incarnations ever showed any form of sexual/romantic interest towards the companions until David Tennant and Rose. It's probably more to do with our own perceptions of the characters, given the fact that the females were there simply as eye candy for the viewers.

Or maybe I just watch these things with a fair too innocent eye. Either way, I think so long as the Doctor continues to be bemused by the prospect of romantic relationships, this particular theme will be fine ("She wants to take you out for texting and scones" is a perfect example of how the Doctor just doesn't get it.) I have no problem with other characters trying to force themselves upon him, to a certain extent, but should he respond in kind, I think my childhood shall be ruined forever. Something about it just feels wrong, like a trusted guardian abusing the children...

artanis_neravar

Apr 18, 2011
Susan Arendt said:
Vault Citizen said:

I think she was supposed to be his Granddaughter, If only because she mentions to rose that he was a dad once and later clarifies that it was all taken away from him in the Time War. Along with refusing to answer Amy's questions about him having children.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Proverbial Jon said:
Susan Arendt said:
Susan Arendt said:

I've seen a fair amount of Classic Who and I can't say any of the Doctor's previous incarnations ever showed any form of sexual/romantic interest towards the companions until David Tennant and Rose. It's probably more to do with our own perceptions of the characters, given the fact that the females were there simply as eye candy for the viewers.

Or maybe I just watch these things with a fair too innocent eye. Either way, I think so long as the Doctor continues to be bemused by the prospect of romantic relationships, this particular theme will be fine ("She wants to take you out for texting and scones" is a perfect example of how the Doctor just doesn't get it.) I have no problem with other characters trying to force themselves upon him, to a certain extent, but should he respond in kind, I think my childhood shall be ruined forever. Something about it just feels wrong, like a trusted guardian abusing the children...
That's why I quite like the notion of him and River. Him and one of the other companions? No, because he's in a superior position to them. They need him to save their lives, so him pushing his affections on them would be a bit...ick. But River can take care of herself quite well, thank you very much, so if they do come together, it's on equal footing. Quite fun, that.

I'm with you, though - I don't think the Doctor was ever portrayed as a sexual (or romantic) being until Tennant.

Feb 13, 2008
Proverbial Jon said:
I've seen a fair amount of Classic Who and I can't say any of the Doctor's previous incarnations ever showed any form of sexual/romantic interest towards the companions until David Tennant and Rose.
In my defence:

No sexual tension there?

(It's a subjective thing, so I won't go off on one if you say no :) )

Equally,

or,

Tegan's is especially poignant, given Amy's departure as well. "No more bloodshed"

newwiseman

Aug 27, 2010
Susan Arendt said:
newwiseman said:

Speaking of story arcs getting brushed aside, that's an absolutely sterling example.
Yep,

I also would have liked it to be explained in The End of Time that the Time Lord/Lady who keeps appearing to Wilfred Mott, Donna's Grandfather, is Susan the doctors Grand Daughter and first companion. But noticing stuff like that is what being a nerd is for.

JohnDoey

Jun 30, 2009
TimeLord said:
"7, really?"
"8 for you honey"
"Stop it"
"Make me"
"Yeah well maybe I will!"

*from the other side of the room*
"Is this really important flirting?"

Yeah, I enjoy River's flirting with Smith mainly because he flirts back. And since we still don't know the full story of their true relationship with each other, it makes it all the more fun.
It kinda hampers the effectiveness of the character that we already know how she dies.

newwiseman

Aug 27, 2010
artanis_neravar said:
Susan Arendt said:
Vault Citizen said:

I think she was supposed to be his Granddaughter, If only because she mentions to rose that he was a dad once and later clarifies that it was all taken away from him in the Time War. Along with refusing to answer Amy's questions about him having children.
Originally she wasn't going to be his grand daughter but the writers didn't think it was appropriate for an old guy and a young woman to be living together if they weren't related.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Well, I've only seen a few here and there of the old series, and getting better bit by bit, but I think I would attribute what I've seen mostly to the actor flirting with the girls rather than the Doctor flirting with them. And considering the change in times, where nowadays we're not as afraid to show a more committed character onscreen, the potential for intimacy is much higher. But then, that's a character thing. A character like Rose would be more content with the intimacy factor, being a much more emotional character than, let's say River Song. River is a much more physical and carefree character, and wouldn't let something like a little biology or rules stand in the way of her fun.

From what I've seen of Romana and Sarah Jane, however (and it's not much, I'll admit), both of them either seek to be the Doctor's equal rather than his love, in any form. And while yeah, they might seek a physical relationship once the emotional is present (which they probably would), the logical side of them might get in the way. Trying to be the Doctor's equal means having to fight with that ego, and that's no small thing.

And while he might avoid it, the Doctor certainly knows what to do--even if it's been awhile.