The Paperphone Shows Off Smartphones' (Literal) Flexibility

willsham45

Apr 14, 2009
Flexible screens are not new, the tech has been out for a while just not really been viabl for wide spread use. where as it sounds interesting I doing think folding gestures would work too well, think of all the ways you could make the board bend when you don't want it to, or even the simple act of giving the device to someone elce.
I would also mention the e-ink being quite cool stuff but it also has its flaws with low refresh speeds and its prone to ghosting. good for the battery though.
either way i dowt it is the way of the future.

Sep 30, 2010
henritje said:
looks interesting but the bend gestures look like they could get annoying after a while.
i agree. through out the video i was wondering how one would type on it and looking at the delay between the bend and the action.

Azaraxzealot

Dec 1, 2009
well.... it looks durable and cool and all, but i think this technology would be better applied to iPhone competitors.

you know how many iPhones and iTouches i've seen with cracked screens or that break every day? applying this to a competitor would allow one to say "yeah, maybe we don't have all the apps of the app store, but at least it won't break when you step on it."

call me when they basically make it an EXTREMELY durable touchscreen... with color... and without that awkward black plastic side thing

chif-ii

Aug 31, 2010
I can't imaging that bending the screen is going to be any more accurate than a touch screen. Picture a bendable qwerty keyboard. Yeah.

Wharrgarble

Jun 22, 2010
It looks really cool, but I just don't think I'd ever get comfortable with the whole "bending" concept. For some reason it just seems... slower. More awkward.

wax88

Sep 10, 2009
seems awfully un-intuitive...like your're going to need to spend half a day getting the thing to register the proper command taht you want it to. i'll pass thx.

Azmael Silverlance

Pirate Warlord!
Oct 20, 2009
[quote="vansau" post="7.282815.11101135". Last time I checked, flinging paper airplanes at coworkers was too much fun to stop doing.[/quote]

With each airplane you make you make a tree cry...and die :O
Rofl seriously now...what kind of a job allows you to do that X_X

JamesBr

Nov 4, 2010
Carbon nanotubes are the future. I've been keeping on eye on tech like this for a little while now, I seem to remember a magazine cover (Times I think, could be something else equally big) a couple of years ago that was made of carbon nanotubes. They were a limited print run, but the cover was a paper-thin screen and was animated. Basically this, but without the ability to interface with it. It was pretty sick.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
vansau said:
Last time I checked, flinging paper airplanes at coworkers was too much fun to stop doing.
Dude, imagine making paper planes out of this. You could fling at co-workers and have it play ride of the Valkyries as it soars across the office.

punipunipyo

Jan 20, 2011
And to play air-sim games, you just need to fold it in to a paper jet, and control as you would to a toy jet... each App comes with it's own origami shape, thus, making each app appeal to it's own control style, and look! to play "angry birds", users must fold the paper phone in to a crane!

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Yeah, I think this falls under the heading of "it's cool that we can do that, but it doesn't mean we should." To use the ability to make thin circuit panels and increase the power and flexibility of working designs: awesome. To make a phone that's that little bit easier to misplace, accidentally launder, or mistakenly dial someone by sitting on? Not so much.