The PC Master Race Appears to Have a New Anthem

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
The PC Master Race Appears to Have a New Anthem

May our framerates be high and our temperatures low.

YouTuber Dan Bull [https://www.youtube.com/user/douglby] has posted an anthem for the PC gamers among us, sarcastically pitting the master race against console pea... gamers. And according to Bull, the master race will "faq your face."

Mic drop, anyone?

As a PC-Console hybrid gamer, I've managed to avoid a majority of the spats regarding the superiority of one form of gaming over another - although I do often find myself tragically dependent on controllers, but that's another story. That doesn't change my appreciation for cute satirical raps about gaming. Especially when a nod is given to Zero Punctuation [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/zero%20punctuation?from_search=1&&os=zero+punctuation] as the inspiration for the art style.

The comment section didn't contain the brawl I expected, rather it was comprised of people saying "We're all gamers at heart" and "Promoting pre-ordering? Really?"

Version 2 of the song, below, features minor changes. If you ask me, it was better than the first.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
How did an insult created by ZP become the banner for PC gamers?

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
09philj said:
Basic cycle of using an insult as an "ironic" self-descriptor until it sticks.

See also: neo-pagans calling themselves "heathens".

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
09philj said:
Archon said:
Good question. If I could predict the course of memes, I'd be much richer.
It's simple: the insult wasn't taken as an insult but instead a statement of fact that the PC gaming race is inherently superior to the peasants who play on console. Or something like that.

Either way it's a pretty decent tong and cheek phrase for the console wars and consoles vs PC debate that will rage so long as both continue to exist.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Naqel said:
If that's supposed to be the "anthem", I'm going console.
Heh.

OT: Sooo...the statement that people harping on about the whole master race thing aren't full of themselves is...false, then? Yeah, thought so.

SKBPinkie

Oct 6, 2013
Yay for defining ourselves based on what we own!!

And no, I'm not what these sacks of shit refer to as a console "peasant". I have a gaming PC, too.

And yes, I'm mad. I understand that many folks use the term ironically. It doesn't change the fact that the phrase needs to die a painful death. It's not funny, never was, and based on how frequently it's brought up, it never will be.

It's just cringe-inducing, dim-witted, moronic garbage.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
I don't know what made me chuckle more: That the song had some surprisingly clever lyrics or that so many people are actually taking the video seriously.

I guess it's true. The internet is no place for satire and sarcasm, because that song is swimming in satire, yet so many seemed to have missed it.

People need to lighten the fuck up. Christ, they're just media entertainment devices. Getting insulted by someone making a joke about a "PC Master Race" is beyond pathetic.

Ugh...

But whatever. I have a new phrase to utter whenever someone tries to drag me into a console-vs-PC debate.[footnote]For the record: I game on numerous platforms and systems, including consoles, but with my primary gaming platform being PC, people tend to drag me into the debate by lumping me in with "PC".[/footnote]

"My Oculus Rift wears an Oculus Rift with an Oculus Rift on its Oculus Rift!"

09philj said:
The same way (at the risk of offending someone) 'nigga' became a term of endearment between friends and associates. "PC Master Race" was an insult bandied about against PC gamers, so PC gamers adopted the term ironically between themselves, and the rest is history.

DonTsetsi said:
I think Flashgitz did it better:

For the record, I game on a PC...
Tried watching that, but it started out with a blatant rip off of the opening sequence to the Honest Trailer videos, and a fake fart noise.

Just couldn't do it.

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
Wow. That song is not just funny, but actually really good. You know, I like that whole rap lyrics against a dubstep or some other EDM background motif. Can anyone recommend more songs like that? Mash ups doing that work too.

09philj said:
The same reason the Nazi-satirizing joke "gingers have no souls" from South Park or the "America Fuck Yeah" song is taken earnestly by people now: humans are dumb.

ron1n

Jan 28, 2013
SKBPinkie said:
Yay for defining ourselves based on what we own!!

And no, I'm not what these sacks of shit refer to as a console "peasant". I have a gaming PC, too.

And yes, I'm mad. I understand that many folks use the term ironically. It doesn't change the fact that the phrase needs to die a painful death. It's not funny, never was, and based on how frequently it's brought up, it never will be.

It's just cringe-inducing, dim-witted, moronic garbage.
For anyone wondering why PC Master Race is still a thing, this ^ right here. Between rational people, it's a fun bit of banter. When you come across overly sensitive people like this, it's even more hilarious on account of the level of salt.

Although I will say that while I've never known anyone that actually thinks less of people because of what gaming device they use, there is a very real disdain amongst PC gamers toward the consoles themselves and the companies behind them. Mostly due to the horrid ports, the holding back of game quality and certain negative features that have become commonplace due to console circulation.

edit: Oh and that song is hilarious. Second version is definitely the winner.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
09philj said:
For the same reason nerdy people call themselves nerds and black people call each other ****** these days. Taking an insult and making it your own is a slap in the face of the people that use it as an insult and can feel quite empowering.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
1080 too small? That's my standard and I'm a PC gamer, guess with my bad eyes resolution doesn't matter much to me.

WonkyWarmaiden

Jun 15, 2010
This is yet another awesome Dan Bull rap. How can some of you not see the obvious joking tone of this whole thing?

jklinders

Sep 21, 2010
09philj said:
Very simple. the best way to pull the teeth out of an insult is to own it and make your own thing out of it. Complaining about it just makes people use it more. Owning it is very empowering and reduces it's original intended impact. There are a lot of people out there who could take lessons from that.

RedRockRun

sneaky sneaky
Jul 23, 2009
This is one of those videos I have to watch a few times while staring at different parts of the screen.

As far as the ZP label goes, I think most people who use the term "Glorious PC Gaming Master Race" are being just as facetious as Yahtzee was in the original video. It's a silly little bit of ball busting.