The PC Version of Dark Souls 2 is lazy as hell

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
snipped for space and scrolling past it is a ***** and I already read it and I'm lazy -.-
RealRT said:
Yes it does change a lot in Batman, especially in Arkham City and Origins' combat. Quick using gadgets is double tapping the number keys, so it's easy-peasy to use batarangs, or the claw or the ice/glue grenade and all that jazz right when you need it. That's useful as all hell.
Number keys were just an example of a clever developer replacing a gamepad-specific interface with a keyboard-specific interface. I'm not saying Dark Souls should have had those.
Funny, that's exactly what it sounded like you where saying in regards to Dark Souls.

As for Batman *shrugs* I never found the need to get that fancy, more moving parts, more things to go wrong and such, save a quick Batarang to the face for certain enemy's where it was a bad idea to attack them head on, I kept my shit to the rafters much as I could and relied on counters to get through the game. Nothing makes you feel like a bad ass like stomping a mob flat with just your bare hands and nothing else ya know.

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
Lunar Templar said:
Funny, that's exactly what it sounded like you where saying in regards to Dark Souls.

As for Batman *shrugs* I never found the need to get that fancy, more moving parts, more things to go wrong and such, save a quick Batarang to the face for certain enemy's where it was a bad idea to attack them head on, I kept my shit to the rafters much as I could and relied on counters to get through the game. Nothing makes you feel like a bad ass like stomping a mob flat with just your bare hands and nothing else ya know.
I play challenge modes in City and Asylum a lot - I'm not any good at it, I just enjoy the gameplay - and I gotta tell you, there's no better fight starter than the claw, followed by a punch.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
RealRT said:
Lunar Templar said:

I play challenge modes in City and Asylum a lot - I'm not any good at it, I just enjoy the gameplay - and I gotta tell you, there's no better fight starter than the claw, followed by a punch.
Ah, challenge modes, that explains that then. I didn't touch them really, since they where just for achievements and leader board related stuff I skipped em, but I understand that those would require a different approach to be successful at.

ninja666

May 17, 2014
ToastiestZombie said:
Whilst I don't agree with the controls being bad I've got to say that From allowing 60fps and then tying the game's animations and even the durability to the FPS is incredibly lazy. It's basically putting PC players at a disadvantages unless they play at an inferior framerate. Don't believe me? Watch this:

No wonder it's only PC DS2 players that complain all the time, to the console players' surprise, who had absolutely no problem with the game. That shit is just lazy and a clear sign of bad design and knowing nothing about programming for PC.

ExileNZ

Dec 15, 2007
My perspective on it is very simple, made more or less concrete by the original PC port of Halo:

If you start up a PC game and it says "Press Start", don't expect much. At all.

I've played some good ports, some bad ports and some downright miserable ports, but this rule pretty much holds up hard and fast as a demonstration of how much effort the dev is willing to put in.

Tayh

Apr 6, 2009
ExileNZ said:
My perspective on it is very simple, made more or less concrete by the original PC port of Halo:

If you start up a PC game and it says "Press Start", don't expect much. At all.
Agreed.
I was so disappointed to see that in the Mass Effect games, which were made by a studio otherwise known for its high quality products.

I'm willing to bet that there is no console-to-PC game that couldn't be salvaged simply by allowing completely free keybinding.
Such a small thing, yet such a huge difference.

terraNivium

Apr 15, 2009
if anyones looking for a cheaper version of the game by the way, you can grab it here for £22 :) https://www.g2a.com/r/darksouls2promodiscount enjoy!

ninja666

May 17, 2014
terraNivium said:
if anyones looking for a cheaper version of the game by the way, you can grab it here for £22 :) https://www.g2a.com/r/darksouls2promodiscount enjoy!
After seeing all the issues the PC version has, I wouldn't want to buy it at all, even on the cheap. Too bad I got too excited and already did.

Chris Tian

May 5, 2012
Lunar Templar said:
So while you can cry 'it's just an excuse for lazy porting' doesn't change which control scheme the game was built around, and which controller is BETTER for this game, or are you gonna try and say oh, Metal Gear Rising has a 'lazy port' to cause playing that with the KB/M is a good way to get your ass kicked to.
This is what annoys me most here, the crazy assumption the "controler users" make that, just because they don't like playing with KB+M, nobody can like it and that nobody could ever like to play a game "that was designed with the controler in mind" with KB+M nonetheless.

I played Metal Gear Rising on PC with KB+M, just as I have played everything so far, and belive it or not its plays perfectly. You are abe to use every move, everything works, everything is usable, the game is crazy fun even with KB+M.

You really need to get some perspective and accept that some people might like things you don't.

Childe said:
I've tried to rebind. the changes keep reverting when i laeve the menu
It seems that you have to click the green A button where it says "accept" under the screen to exit the menu and accept changes.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
Chris Tian said:
This is what annoys me most here, the crazy assumption the "controler users" make that, just because they don't like playing with KB+M, nobody can like it and that nobody could ever like to play a game "that was designed with the controler in mind" with KB+M nonetheless.

I played Metal Gear Rising on PC with KB+M, just as I have played everything so far, and belive it or not its plays perfectly. You are abe to use every move, everything works, everything is usable, the game is crazy fun even with KB+M.

You really need to get some perspective and accept that some people might like things you don't.
it's not a matter of preference.

it's a matter of what works better.

Games like Dark Souls, Metal Gear Rising, or the Arkham games might work just fine with KB/M, but it doesn't change the fact that those games handle better with a controller.

just like how the RTS, FPS, Grand Stratagy and some sims are best played with a KB/M and Fighters are best played on a fight stick, it's all about bringing the right tool to the job.

Chris Tian

May 5, 2012
Lunar Templar said:
it's not a matter of preference.

it's a matter of what works better.

Games like Dark Souls, Metal Gear Rising, or the Arkham games might work just fine with KB/M, but it doesn't change the fact that those games handle better with a controller.
Of course it is a matter of preference. If somebody does not get along with controllers, they do not work better for him.

The matter of what works better is 100% subjective. Most people prefer to play some games with a controler, I don't doubt that, but for people like me those games still work better with KB+M.

It is not a fact that they handel better with a controller, if it were a fact it has to be true for everybody.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
Chris Tian said:
Of course it is a matter of preference. If somebody does not get along with controllers, they do not work better for him.

The matter of what works better is 100% subjective. Most people prefer to play some games with a controler, I don't doubt that, but for people like me those games still work better with KB+M.

It is not a fact that they handel better with a controller, if it were a fact it has to be true for everybody.
No it's not.

Some game just play better with different control inputs, KB/M []isn't[/i] the end all be all input for every game. This is not a 'matter of preference' its a fact. Sure might might prefer a different input, but preferring a different input doesn't mean its the best input for that kind of game, just because you prefer to do something a certain way doesn't mean it's the mechanically best way to go about doing it.

Chris Tian

May 5, 2012
I am honestly surprised how you can't understand that.

There are no universally "best" input devices to play a game.

The game plays best, for every individual player, with whatever input device this player prefers. If someone can play dark souls the best with a steeringwheel then that is the best input device for that guy.

How can you be so ignorant to belive that only because you prefer something, that thing is universally the best thing.

Oh, and you seriously HAVE to lern what a fact and what an opinion is.

Troublesome Lagomorph

The Deadliest Bunny
May 26, 2009
You say its lazy as hell, and yet is pretty above average as far as ports go. Sure, the controls for the mouse don't work well, but there's almost no way to make Dark Souls work with a keyboard.
I really can't believe you can call them lazy when they went out of their way to make sure we had better framerate, textures, and anti-aliasing.

Greg White

Sep 19, 2012
After playing the game for a while, I only have 3 major complaints:

1. Lag-stabs are still a thing, only more ridiculous now. I've counted at least 6 times I've been back-stabbed by someone I was very clearly facing. Thankfully most of them did pretty minimal damage.

2. The Blue Sentinels and the Brotherhood of Blood. They take the cake as the most ridiculous covenants because it takes 500 arena victories to achieve rank 5 in either one, and the Brotherhood takes even more because you lose a point for every defeat.

3. Boss scaling. It's a sad day when it's easier to do most bosses by yourself than it is to get help because of all the extra health they get. The Ancient Dragon stands as the worst example. I've been summoned god only knows how many times for that fight and every time it ended in failure so I decided to see just how bad this guy really was and I was...disappointed. Killed him on the first try with almost no issues because my lightning spells actually took a decent bit off of his health instead of tickling him like they do when there are 2 phantoms.

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
lacktheknack said:
You're telling me that a game designed for controllers, developed by people who have almost no experience in porting, has poor keyboard/mouse controls using fewer buttons than expected?

I have never been more utterly shocked in my entire life, and I've been electrocuted before! D:

Seriously. No one with any knowledge of its history bought Dark Souls or Dark Souls 2 with realizing that the keyboard/mouse controls would be terrible without modding. Play it with a controller then get back to us on how bad it is.
This actually isn't a valid argument. Indeed, it supports the OP's argument that the port was, well, not particularly great.

That said, at least Dark Souls 2 worked out of the box and I didn't have to play musical USB devices every time I launched the game just to get the gamepad to work. But that doesn't detract from the fact that the game is absolute garbage without resorting to the use of a gamepad.

Fdzzaigl

Mar 31, 2010
I've seen worse honestly (like Dark Souls 1), I didn't have too many problems.

That said, I think the environments, bosses and story of DS2 are inferior.

idon'tknowaboutthat

Nov 30, 2009
I agree with the OP, I cannot believe how bad the PC port of DS2 is. Just like they said, it was lazy as hell, they even delayed the PC release for an extra month after consoles... what were they doing during that time? Because they sure as hell weren't making the PC version better. IMO DS2 was an even worse port than DS1, because at least for DS1 the controls were more remappable (not a word), and with DSFix and DSMousefix being out almost right away, there were no problems once you had those. For DS2, you're on your own to download AutoHotKey and mess around with that.

For everyone saying, "Oh, it's a game made for consoles, From don't port well, you should have known"... why are they making a PC version then if they can't be assed to not be half-assed about it? (See what I did there?) DS1 was a rushed port, so it made sense that it was bad, but for DS2, they had years to think about how they were going to do it, and yet... nothing changed. I know that I heard somewhere that they were developing DS2 with the PC in mind, or on the PC primarily, or something like that... complete BS. They couldn't even be bothered to change the UI to keyboard buttons. I mean, come on, how hard is that? That alone shows how fucking lazy From is.

And to everyone saying, "Oh, just use a controller then!" Why. The. Fuck. Am I buying a PC version if I wanted to use a fucking console controller? Don't you think I would buy it for console if I wanted to use a console controller? I actually happen to prefer using KB/M, shocking, I know. Jesus.

Grape_Nuts

Mar 23, 2011
Finished 5 DS2 playthroughs. I used AHK to fix the M+KB controls. Nothing about this game makes a controller better, save the idiotic default key bindings. It's strange how a little piece of hardware can exert so much influence on people, to the point that it deludes them into thinking it's REQUIRED to play the game.

Chris Tian

May 5, 2012
Troublesome Lagomorph said:
You say its lazy as hell, and yet is pretty above average as far as ports go. Sure, the controls for the mouse don't work well, but there's almost no way to make Dark Souls work with a keyboard.
I really can't believe you can call them lazy when they went out of their way to make sure we had better framerate, textures, and anti-aliasing.
How is it above average? Please list ports that are worse.

I said this 100 times by now and I will say it again just for you: Dark Souls 1 worked PERFECTLY with KB+M so please stop trying to tell me it is impossible to make Dark Souls work well with KB+M.