The Peanuts Movie - It's a Swing and a Miss, Charlie Brown

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
The Peanuts Movie - It's a Swing and a Miss, Charlie Brown

The Peanuts Movie is the first feature-length Charlie Brown property since 1980. Maybe it should have stayed away from the cinema.

Read Full Article

PsychicTaco115

I've Been Having These Weird Dreams Lately...
Legacy
Mar 17, 2012
Country
United States
Good. I hate the Peanuts and this fills my bitter black heart with a sliver of joy :)

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Is this a mainly American nostalgic memory, snoopy? I only ever see a picture of it when the planets align during a blood moon. My Nan maybe mentioned it once like an almost forgotten fable. But a game of it has pooped itself onto console marketplaces recently (by Activision of course...erm, uk), it did seem suspicious and now the final puzzle of poo has fallen into place, (snoopy is an anagram of poosNY by the way, justsaying!) though the game is somewhat a riskier venture, price-wise, than the film. Consider yourself lucky, Marter...not quite a Martyr yet, teehee! (i'll shut up now)

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Wait...they made a Peanuts movie recently? *sigh*...well it's official: there truly is nothing sacred anymore.

Or as Charlie Brown would say: "UUUUUUGH!"

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
RJ 17 said:
Wait...they made a Peanuts movie recently? *sigh*...well it's official: there truly is nothing sacred anymore.

Isn't Charlie Brown the one that always complains about soulless capitalism? The circle is complete.

They should get the Lego movie guys on this. Of course, I think they should get the Lego movie guys to do everything.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Really?!
Nobody is going to speak up? I'm the one who's gonna have to say it?

Sigh...alright.

GOOD GRIEF!!

yellowmage

Mar 2, 2011
Thought as much. Still, I might rent the tie-in videogame for an easy platinum trophy.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Fox12 said:
RJ 17 said:

Isn't Charlie Brown the one that always complains about soulless capitalism? The circle is complete.

They should get the Lego movie guys on this. Of course, I think they should get the Lego movie guys to do everything.
I thought it was Linus (Lucy's perpetualy-whipped brother) who rails against capitalism, in his robotic-monotone voice. When he's not sucking his thumb and hugging his blanket.

OT: Snoopy is the best Peanuts character, period. Just give him his own movie already!

owbu

Feb 14, 2011
huh, rotten tomatoes has it as 86%/86%

After spectre getting 2.5 stars (which I and the reviewer on escapists) apparently thought were terrible), this seems a bit off^^

Guess Ill go watch it and come back to say Im sorry, in case it reeeaaally sucks :>

Verrik

Sep 28, 2012
Welp, this one aside, the Peanuts movie has actually been getting good reviews, overall (currently at 86% on Rotten Tomatoes and Korey from Spill actually liked it as well). From what I heard, there's not one pop culture reference or toilet humor in the film. It stays pretty true to the source material and has good animation. Overall, I'd say most find it to be a good movie. I mean, some people are acting like this movie took the Alvin and the Chipmunks or Smurfs approach to movie adaptation lol.

oldtaku

Jan 7, 2011
There was zero chance this complete whoredom of Peanuts (now that Sparky is safely dead) would be any good.

Yeah, it'll be completely bland and inoffensive and marketable and saccharine sweet, so people with kids will go see it for the same reasons they went to see terrible movies like Garfield and The Smurfs. 'Well this isn't awful, there's no cursing, and it keeps the little monsters quiet for 90 minutes.'

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Darth_Payn said:
Fox12 said:
RJ 17 said:

I thought it was Linus (Lucy's perpetualy-whipped brother) who rails against capitalism, in his robotic-monotone voice. When he's not sucking his thumb and hugging his blanket.

OT: Snoopy is the best Peanuts character, period. Just give him his own movie already!
That may be right. Maybe it was only in the Christmas episode that Charlie Brown complained about capitalism.

Random thought, but am I the only one that used to think peppermint patty was a boy? And then I figured out she was a girl, and I thought her and that other girl were gay. I didn't even know what sex or homosexuality was, but my little kid mind just assumed they were dating.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Fox12 said:
Darth_Payn said:
Fox12 said:
RJ 17 said:

That may be right. Maybe it was only in the Christmas episode that Charlie Brown complained about capitalism.

Random thought, but am I the only one that used to think peppermint patty was a boy? And then I figured out she was a girl, and I thought her and that other girl were gay. I didn't even know what sex or homosexuality was, but my little kid mind just assumed they were dating.
Family Guy did a joke on that.

lord canti

May 30, 2009
Yeah, because the original peanuts always was known for it's deep three dimensional characters. Truth be told, I think this is one of the most faithful adaptations in quite awhile.Though, that may not be in it's favor seeing as how the peanuts have always been a paint by numbers and dull series.

Apr 25, 2009
Meh, I still hold out hope for it. It's getting good reviews everywhere else. All the reasons you listed here for the movie not working are pretty core to the way Peanuts functions. One of the reasons I love Peanuts is because it's so status quo and comfortable. The characters are dependably themselves, all strong and unique personalities (if a little two-dimensional at times). I enjoy the repeated gags and the dry wit and the quiet sarcastic jokes. It's simple and mild. There's no passing of time or massive life changing events. No big goofy slapstick sequences or overt fantasies. I don't need or want a movie adaptation to abandon that atmosphere and tone and everything the strip built. I have no idea how one would structure that sort of narrative style into movie form, and that may be the main issue with the film, but I'm one of those wierdos who wouldn't mind if this was just a 90 minute series of Peanuts style vignettes.

And the red headed girl has ALWAYS been a nameless 'maguffin', that's kind of the point. Charlie Brown can never work up the courage to talk to her so he knows absolutely nothing about her.

The second trailer with its shitty pop music was a bad sign for me, so I may yet be disappointed. I'll just have to wait two more fucking months for the Australian release.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Digi7 said:
Meh, I still hold out hope for it. It's getting good reviews everywhere else. All the reasons you listed here for the movie not working are pretty core to the way Peanuts functions. One of the reasons I love Peanuts is because it's so status quo and comfortable. The characters are dependably themselves, all strong and unique personalities (if a little two-dimensional at times). I enjoy the repeated gags and the dry wit and the quiet sarcastic jokes. It's simple and mild. There's no passing of time or massive life changing events. No big goofy slapstick sequences or overt fantasies. I don't need or want a movie adaptation to abandon that atmosphere and tone and everything the strip built. I have no idea how one would structure that sort of narrative style into movie form, and that may be the main issue with the film, but I'm one of those wierdos who wouldn't mind if this was just a 90 minute series of Peanuts style vignettes.

And the red headed girl has ALWAYS been a nameless 'maguffin', that's kind of the point. Charlie Brown can never work up the courage to talk to her so he knows absolutely nothing about her.

The second trailer with its shitty pop music was a bad sign for me, so I may yet be disappointed. I'll just have to wait two more fucking months for the Australian release.
No, you won't be disappointed. I've been lurking on this thread pretty much all day because the review baffled me, but the comments here baffled me even more so. I saw this movie yesterday. It is EXACTLY what you are hoping for. That pop music from the trailer? It does feel a bit out of place, but it doesn't come anywhere near to ruining the movie when it arrives. The rest of the music is classic Peanuts through and through.
Honestly, when this movie was first announced, I was dreading it because I was afraid they were going to reboot the franchise, or try to drag it into the modern era, or change it to make the characters more "current" or "edgy" or "interesting (read: Dark and moody)". But they didn't. This really does feel like a Peanuts movie. Everything that you say you want is in the movie, and personally my friends and I loved it.

The only complaint I have is a time skip that happens toward the end. About ninety percent of the movie takes place during winter, but then in the last ten minutes, it jumps ahead to summer and the start of summer vacation. That feels a bit jarring, but that's it.

lokun489

Jun 3, 2010
Why are people claiming that this evidence that the peanuts sold out? The peanuts sold out almost immediately. The numerous made for t.v. movies with different casts, the t.v. shows, the stageplay, alongside two weekly comments meant that Charles M. Shultz had it made, and didn't care too much about integrity. Also, it has some of the flattest characters designed to play around occasionally subverting it. Like the childish looking one making the smartest comments. Peanuts was made around selling out.

Apr 25, 2009
Sniper Team 4 said:
Digi7 said:

No, you won't be disappointed. I've been lurking on this thread pretty much all day because the review baffled me, but the comments here baffled me even more so. I saw this movie yesterday. It is EXACTLY what you are hoping for. That pop music from the trailer? It does feel a bit out of place, but it doesn't come anywhere near to ruining the movie when it arrives. The rest of the music is classic Peanuts through and through.
Honestly, when this movie was first announced, I was dreading it because I was afraid they were going to reboot the franchise, or try to drag it into the modern era, or change it to make the characters more "current" or "edgy" or "interesting (read: Dark and moody)". But they didn't. This really does feel like a Peanuts movie. Everything that you say you want is in the movie, and personally my friends and I loved it.

The only complaint I have is a time skip that happens toward the end. About ninety percent of the movie takes place during winter, but then in the last ten minutes, it jumps ahead to summer and the start of summer vacation. That feels a bit jarring, but that's it.
Thanks very much for this reply, it allays a lot of my worries. I'm actually pretty excited now! I never grew up with Peanuts and have only really started reading the compilations and watching the cartoons a couple of years ago, but I absolutely adore it.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
RJ 17 said:

You're saying that like there haven't already been multiple Peanuts movies. I don't see how making another one is suddenly sacrilege.
Fox12 said:
The millions of coffee mugs, lunch boxes, pajamas, and bed spreads that were made with Snoopy on it before this movie was even in the works clearly shows that this was already a giant enterprise.

Maybe we should all cool our jets and not suddenly act like it's this movie that squeezed the soul out of this franchise.
MarsAtlas said:
Was anybody expecting this to be good? Anybody?
Considering they actually took the effort to make the original art style work in a computer generated environment, choppy frame rate and everything... Yeah, that gave me hope they'd actually make a fine movie.

From what I've heard the only real criticism against this new film is that it's the same old stuff, but that's is what Peanuts has always been. Now obviously it's prefered to strive for something new and fresh, even in old franchises like this, but acting like this is the latest atrocity from Hollywood... Eh, seems a bit of a stretch.

Not that I've seen the movie, but people in this thread are tearing it a new one for having done... what exactly? Being just another Peanuts movie, this time in CG?