The peope in GTA Online are horrible!

briankoontz

May 17, 2010
These people aren't RPing though for the most part - all online games which allow griefers have griefers.

To be fair though, the less of a penalty for death in a game the less painful being griefed is - WoW for example even on PvP servers contains very little griefing, since the game is designed to mostly prevent it. Ultima Online on the other hand had terrible griefing in the early days since the game was designed to have potentially a terrible penalty for death (and a potentially very nice benefit for murder).

The people being "griefed" in GTA online don't know what real griefing is, since modern games are largely designed to prevent it.

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
Hey now, I have no need for griefing...except for one little spat of anger when a friend killed me to get access to my car...that I was offering him a lift in. He and two of his lv20+ friends jumped in, and my level 7 ass killed all three of them with a pistol. We all become awesome when angry.

Mr F.

Jul 11, 2012
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
Liberaliter said:
Roofstone said:
aguspal said:
Now, I am not the kind who says stuff like this, but...

Are you new to the GTA series? Or online gaming in general?.
The fun thing is that GTA IV wasn't like this, you could argue that there are more people. But I don't ever recall it being this bad, even when it came out.

But yes, I suppose it is to be expected, still it angers me though.

Liberaliter said:
I love GTA's open world chaos extending to online play, all I've done is drive around and kill other players on sight. A friend and I have been hunting down individuals and killing them over and over, we figured out how to kill them when they engage passive mode as well, as you can still run them over and, if you time it correctly, punch them to death.
That is horrible.. Doesn't it feel bad to deliberately make someones gaming experience worse? If they activated the passive mode they obviously do not want to engage in PvP..
It definitely makes the other person have a worse gaming experience, but I get a kick out of it and it improves my gaming experience. I know that sounds harsh, but they can always join a new server or make an invite only game.
KeyMaster45 said:
Roofstone said:
Liberaliter said:
I love GTA's open world chaos extending to online play, all I've done is drive around and kill other players on sight. A friend and I have been hunting down individuals and killing them over and over, we figured out how to kill them when they engage passive mode as well, as you can still run them over and, if you time it correctly, punch them to death.
That is horrible.. Doesn't it feel bad to deliberately make someones gaming experience worse? If they activated the passive mode they obviously do not want to engage in PvP..
No, not in the least. When I played on a PvP server back during Classic WoW I camped some poor bastard of an alliance mage (round about lvl 20 or so) for two hours on my friend's rogue (level 60)[footnote]Was over at his house and we swapped characters to see what the classes were like.[/footnote]. When I got bored with him I went terrorize the nearby town of low levels.

It was an intoxicatingly fun experience.
High school bullies get the same rush from beating up nerds for their lunch money.

Go ahead with the "Video Games vs. Real Life" speech, fact is from my perspective, you're bullying those people.

People like you are why we can't have nice things.
PVP server. In war, people die. Usually the people who die are the people who cannot defend themselves. WoW PVP servers teach you the way of the jungle: From level 20 onwards (When you are leveling in contested territory, its a rough estimate due to it being a long time since I played WoW) you will get randomly blindsided by one, or more, high levels characters. They will kill you and your quest givers. If you do not know any high levels that you can call on to bail them out you either hope they get bored or you go and level an alt.

That is the way of the jungle my friend. You live, you quest, you die.

When you hit level cap (Or earlier) you go out and you do the same. You go and you gank, your corpse camp a bit, you slaughter as much as you can until the friends of those you slaughter turn up to bail them out. Then, when you get bored, you do something else.

If you do not want to die, horribly, you do not play on a Player vs Player server. You move on to a PVE server and you have your fun.

But if you CHOOSE to be on a PVP server, you have no right to ***** and moan about the wholesale slaughter. Its the name of the game. PVP servers are contain slaughter, PVE servers are fine and safe.

Now, with regards to GTA Online (In other words, OT)

Bitching about getting slaughtered in GTA online makes zero sense. The game is about killing. When it gets released on PC you can bet your bollocks I will slaughter everyone I see, unless I am gaming with friends. In which case, we will do shit and occsaionally I will slaughter them for fun. Because that is what GTA is about. Drive dirty and kill dirtier. The game is about grand theft auto, not about bunnies and shit.

Complaining that in the free for all of an online crime game you get slaughtered is meaningless.

Also, for the record, I played WoW for a good... 6 years. For about 5 years of that I would gank when I could, slaughter what I could and between raids try and do as much damage as I could. Red Ridge Mountains was where we went to slaughter, Stranglethorn was also good for a higher-class prey. We did this because we were ganked whilst leveling, we did this because it was fun. Being ganked whilst leveling can be fun (Trying to get away is rather tense) but mainly it teaches you something.

In war, the weak die. In an MMO, if you have no friends, you die. So go make friends.

I have no regrets, if I pick the game up again I will gank again without a single ounce of remorse. If it is possible when The Elder Scrolls Online is released I will be doing the same.

Just to hammer the point home, Its a war. Its a PVP server. If you do not enjoy fighting, if you do not enjoy dying, great. Do not join up to a PVP server in an MMO that has an active war as its backstory (Or a cold war turning hot.). And do not call us horrible people for killing others in a game.

Are Battlefield players horrible for killing? Are they why we cannot have nice things?

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
I'm hoping this will turn into a sort of EVE Online ordeal with major organizations forming and terrorizing particular blocks of the city.

Maybe you can buy "protection" from one of the larger gangs. I can't wait to see what the community does with this.

wrightguy0

Dec 8, 2010
just today some idiot in a sports car t-boned me on the freeway, he didn't like the fact that my SUV got tangled in his grill for a few seconds too long, so he chases me down, i end him, go into the cutscene i was heading for, and when i come out he beats me to death while my back is turned, all because he crashed into me, some people are just dicks in that game, put a bullet between their eyes if you can and move on, or put a bounty on them if they persist, i assure you they won't last long if the money is good.

most people i've met rarely fuck with each other, did see a fight over a car that a contact wanted at the docks, even though anyone in the car when it's delivered gets a cut. i didn't even bother, they probably trashed the car before the idea of sharing the score crossed their minds.

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
Abomination said:
I'm hoping this will turn into a sort of EVE Online ordeal with major organizations forming and terrorizing particular blocks of the city.

Maybe you can buy "protection" from one of the larger gangs. I can't wait to see what the community does with this.
As interesting as it is, it's a bit of a pain in the butt giving people money. the only money that can be given atm is either getting killed for like... 100 dollars, or give people money from robbing stores. Mission cash, and what ever gets banked can't be traded. Likely so people can't funnel cash easily.

Chop shops only accept a car per in game day, so that's kinda out.

Maybe later a scenario like that can happen, though. Not that I'd take part, but Eve stories are excellent reads, and I'd like more sources of such tales.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
Rebel_Raven said:
Abomination said:

As interesting as it is, it's a bit of a pain in the butt giving people money. the only money that can be given atm is either getting killed for like... 100 dollars, or give people money from robbing stores. Mission cash, and what ever gets banked can't be traded. Likely so people can't funnel cash easily.

Maybe later a scenario like that can happen, though. Not that I'd take part, but Eve stories are excellent reads, and I'd like more sources of such tales.
Hopfully Rockstar will overlook this lack of transferable funds and open up the system to more player interactivity beyond braining each other with golf clubs.

Until there is little more to do than brain each other with golf clubs, braining each other with golf clubs will remain the focus of the game.

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
Abomination said:
Rebel_Raven said:
Abomination said:

Hopfully Rockstar will overlook this lack of transferable funds and open up the system to more player interactivity beyond braining each other with golf clubs.

Until there is little more to do than brain each other with golf clubs, braining each other with golf clubs will remain the focus of the game.
I completely agree. About all there is to do in the game is taking life. As you state, until there's more than that, that's all there'll be, pretty much.

I mean, I'd love more social stuff. Dance clubs. 1-2 more strip clubs, one with male dancers, one with both genders.
More bars, too.
Maybe some legit jobs. Or at least the ability to be a stripper. adult swim had a game where you played as a stripper dancing in a guitar hero like gameplay method. The yoga system might work, too. I dunno.
In general, I'd want more to do than shoot people.

I can't wait until there's more lucerative ways to get money. I wouldn't object much to the free transfer of cash, though I'm sure it'd get abused to no end. lol

On a similar note, happen to know where you pick up a golf club? Clan mate had a baseball bat. I'm not sure where you get these things. :/ I'd like to expand my arsenal!

DeimosMasque

I'm just a Smeg Head
Jun 30, 2010
SaneAmongInsane said:
well if you're playing on the 360 your more than welcome to join The Escapist MC crew so you have a group of people that will play together and not kill each other.
Holy crap we have one of those? Awesome.

NoeL

May 14, 2011
This is the exact reason I no longer play ANY online multiplayer with strangers, though I do appreciate the irony of you raging about people not playing fair when they're playing as criminals. In fact in a game like GTA I wouldn't mind it as much as in other games, since it fits with the context. You're SUPPOSED to play dirty.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
Have you seen what are on the other radio stations?! I mean, at least I've heard of the west coast classic songs, and don't get me started on how they let Tyler and Fergie on there.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
Rebel_Raven said:
On a similar note, happen to know where you pick up a golf club? Clan mate had a baseball bat. I'm not sure where you get these things. :/ I'd like to expand my arsenal!
Don't have the game yet, waiting for the console peasants to dirty themselves working out all the bugs so the PC Gaming Master Race can enjoy the product when it's finally out of Beta. ;)

SKBPinkie

Oct 6, 2013
This is pretty much why I stopped playing competitive online games. Hell, even the Halo games have better players than this shitfest.

The only reason I still have XBL is for co-op games now. Gears 2 and 3 are some of the best multiplayer games I've played (of course, only in Horde mode).

Sarge034

Feb 24, 2011
So in a game about fucking people over cus fuck you got mine, are you really surprised that mentality is brought over into multiplayer? Really? I saw this coming since GTA online was announced, how did you not?

Saucycarpdog

Sep 30, 2009
Since I have a lot of money in the game I love putting big bounties on random people and watching the ensuing chaos from my luxurious apartment.

Guitarmasterx7

Day Pig
Mar 16, 2009
Yeah I haven't even touched GTA 5 online and have really no inclination to. I remember when GTA 4 came out you couldn't find anything without some 10 year old providing a constant stream of shit to the effect of "ROLLIN UP WITH MY BOYS, NIGGA WE DIS HOOD DAWG, BUSTIN FOOS. DIS HOW I RUN THA STREETS IN REAL LIFE." with their prepubescent girl voices.

I'd rather play in a world full of AI, thank you very much.

INF1NIT3 D00M

Aug 14, 2008
Chicago Ted said:
I hear you. It's not that I expect much different out of GTA: Online. I was mostly pointing out that nobody even attempts communication. I understand survival and whatnot, watching one's back. But surely if you wanted me gone you could tell me that rather than *just* opening fire. We all *should* have the ability to speak to the whole server, assuming we still have our microphones. This is a new frontier and we're setting the stage for future interactions. Right now we can expect lunatics. We should always expect lunatics in general. But it doesn't have to be this way in every aspect, forever. Warn people off when you're going to start shooting on sight. Make use of your social skills. If we establish something of an etiquette, then there's a criteria by which people can judge who is and is not being an asshole. If you tell me to go away or you'll shoot, and I don't leave, and you shoot me, how could I blame you? Could anyone? If I trick you into getting into my car, then kill you and take the cash, I'm being an asshole. If I roll up and offer to help, and you shoot me for having the audacity, you're being an asshole. The least you could do is ignore me and run off, or tell me no thanks for the ride, or something. That's not to say it won't come to bullets, but at least you've covered yourself. If I gun you down, I'm the dick. If I open fire and you manage to kill me, I had it coming. I rolled the dice and I lost. At least when you shoot me, I know why. If you never say anything, never respond with anything but violence, what am I to think of you? Of everyone else who does it? Of the community in general? Why would I ever want anyone to join my crew; if I have to draw from a bunch of jerks who can't be bothered to perform any task more complex than a dime store stickup? Actually, considering that people are shooting me while I'm attempting to help them with that, it doesn't seem like they're even capable of cooperating on the most basic level.

It's not about whining because we died. What the thread concerns is the lack of cooperation in any way. There's so much potential in this game for cooperation and impromptu fun, and yet so few people who can be bothered. The only time anyone even pretends to work with someone else is when they're on a mission together, and even that is laughable. You get teammates running each other over, driving four separate cars, scattering during firefights, fighting over objectives; teamkilling would be off the charts if friendly fire were enabled. All that, and most if not all of us have the ability to talk to one another. Hell, there's even potential for new types of crime if people would just get the ideas through their heads. There's potential for extortion, unofficial bounties, vehicle acquisitions, etc. The systems are all there to make that stuff work, but people are either uncaring or paranoid.

What really needs to be sorted out is matchmaking. People who don't want to get blown away by everyone they meet don't have a lot of consistency. You can start a Crew server, or a friend server, but unfortunately they're sketchy at best. You have to start in GTA V, then select "Crew Only" or "Friends Only". You can only do this from GTA V, you're not able to change server types once you're online, aside from switching to a different open PvP server. When I say these are sketchy, it's because the game seems to have trouble actually getting your friends/crew in. I haven't had any luck in this area. Connection issues aren't the only problem, there is also the way that the game shuffles you around automatically. If my friend is in a server and I can't connect, it automatically places me in open PvP. If I quit out of a playlist, I'm automatically in open PvP. Most times, managing even three players at once is a nightmare. One, maybe two will make it into a server, and the third will consistently get a "server is full" message. If you manage to get everyone in and there are no other players, you're SOL. If you play a "story" mission, you only get one in, and then you're shuffled off to playlists. You have no way of playing another "story" mission without going back to freemode. Once you're there, you're in open PvP, and you get to re-do that dance of getting everyone together in the same server again.

Like I said, there's potential here, but the people in GTA Online *are* horrible. They are both the cause and the product of a hostile community of selfish pricks. All I'm saying is that it's frustrating trying to create something even marginally more civilized. I understand that this is a crime game, but even criminals are better at cooperating than we are. Real life murderers and psychotics are better at robbing liquor stores and banks and such than Xbox gamers are, and that's sad.

Epicspoon

May 25, 2010
Saucycarpdog said:
Since I have a lot of money in the game I love putting big bounties on random people and watching the ensuing chaos from my luxurious apartment.
you're just making me want to buy this game more but I need to save my money for an upcoming convention! DAAAAMMMNNNN YOOOOOOUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!!!

Since I haven't played yet I have a question. Can you put bounties on more than one person at a time? If so you should put an enormous bounty on every single player at once. It would be great.