The peope in GTA Online are horrible!

Roofstone

May 13, 2010
First of all, let me apologize if you are infact a nice person and play gta online.

Now, this is barely a rant, it is just me being butthurt over too many races lost. (Which is rather missleading really, if I come eiter 2nd or 16th, it is a "lost" on my statistic. Surely there can be a statistic between victory and defeat?)

The people in GTA Online are horrible! Not a single race have I raced without people crashing into each other on purpose or otherwise trying to force others to crash. Nearly nobody knows how to play a tiny hint fair. It is really frustrating when you need to win so so many races to unlock car parts.

And it extends out of being a cheap bastard in competetive stuff as well. Nobody in freemode knows how to cooperate, people shoot me to take what I am offering them for free! It is horrible... And don't give me the passive mode speech. If I use that I have to walk everywhere.

Oh and yeah.. Stop changing the radio channel to gangster rap when I am the one driving! In MY car! ME! There are other channels.. That sounds like I overstate it perhaps, but I can remember ONE person that did not want to listen to gangster rap. Thank god for him..

Yeah, that.. Was less ranting and more venting. I don't usually do sad/angry threads, but cheezus on bread are GTA Online people annoying.

Again, sorry if you play GTA Online and are perfectly nice.

For a pretense of discussion: Got any different views? Know any nice people? Please do share if you do..

Auberon

Aug 29, 2012
Given that
this exists for a reason, and you specifically talk about GTA, a game that probably every single Xbox/PS3 owner has bought, my inner cynicist says "don't be surprised".

GIFT works universally, unless it's a somewhat closed community (like clan of a particular site I am a member of) where admins actually keep the trolls etc. out.

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
Haven't had chance to play much of GTA Online, but I predicted it would be this way, yeah. I guess it's the type of game that gives people that attitude. It was mostly the same in Red Dead Redemption. I played that online with friends a couple of times and we often came to positively hate eachother because of indiscriminate killing shenanigans, not to mention everyone else. :)

Ah well, when in Rome... Just join in on the douchebaggery one in a while, it might be fun. I remember one time when I blew up everyone in my posse with a stick of dynamite. They hated me. :D

Able Seacat

Jun 18, 2012
Yeah, I've had a similar experience as well unfortunately. One time a player parked up near me and sounded the horn, so I thought cool a friendly player. I got into the car which he/she then got out of. I thought maybe he/she wants me to drive, but then he/she ran a short distance and the car blew up... He/She had fitted a remote bomb to it. I learned to not trust so easily in the game after that.

Also, the passive mode is stupid. I had someone trying to run me over in the marshes (I was collecting a crate) and I couldn't shoot them because they were in passive mode. The only thing I could do was blow up their car with them inside. I got fined a fee for destroying a personal vehicle and told I was the bad sport :/

Roofstone

May 13, 2010
trty00 said:
Welcome to GTA, where griefing rules all. You can't honestly say you're shocked that a game series all about mayhem actually has chaotic players, can you?.
Well actually, in GTA IV this was much less a problem. People often just drove along with each other or did stuff together.

I was surprised how much less V has of this. I expected there to be more rude folk of course, 13 million people and so on. But not this much. Guess that is naive, internett and all that. But gosh damn it I had a dream! :|

Thr33X

Aug 23, 2013
They need to improve the Passive Mode to make it so that
a) you are completely unhittable, from gunfire, automobiles or anything, and
b) conversely you can't use a vehicle to harm other players, since it automatically disables your weapon wheel

I think the best comparison I can make is the Ready Mode in APB: Reloaded. You are completely muted in-game, unable to attack or be attacked until you go into Ready Mode and take on missions. The difference though is that this is you going from non-combat to combat, where Passive Mode is the other way around.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
well if you're playing on the 360 your more than welcome to join The Escapist MC crew so you have a group of people that will play together and not kill each other.

How did you not expect it to be like this going in? That's why I formed the crew in the first place. Just avoid other players and load up on stick bombs.

And why are you complaining about racing dirty? This ain't Gran Tourismo dude.

Roofstone

May 13, 2010
trty00 said:
Roofstone said:
trty00 said:
Welcome to GTA, where griefing rules all. You can't honestly say you're shocked that a game series all about mayhem actually has chaotic players, can you?.
Well actually, in GTA IV this was much less a problem. People often just drove along with each other or did stuff together.

I was surprised how much less V has of this. I expected there to be more rude folk of course, 13 million people and so on. But not this much. Guess that is naive, internett and all that. But gosh damn it I had a dream! :|
I think that, eventually, the griefing will die down and people will start to take it more seriously, but until then, just go nuts. GTAO isn't cruel, just kind of annoying right now.
True. And to be fair, despite my whining and venting. IT is not like I hate the game and everyone, I love the game and I love my character, her car and her appartement.

I don't look at people and go "Fuck you all!", It is more a silent, sad "Ehh.. You people are kinda douchebags".

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
Relevant:
I can't say I'm surprised, really. In an open world sandbox crime game that encourages player freedom, the first impulse of many people will be to shoot everything that moves, including other players.

I recommend sticking with people on your friends list, at least for a little while. Given time, as people move on to the next big title, hopefully you'll be left with more charitable folk to play with.

Roofstone

May 13, 2010
SaneAmongInsane said:
well if you're playing on the 360 your more than welcome to join The Escapist MC crew so you have a group of people that will play together and not kill each other.
I had already joined, but I firstr now discovered the "play with crew" button.. So yeah, there is that.. I will see you around ingame now though!

OT: Finally calmed down, and won enough races to buy turbo for my feltzer. GTA Online is great.. OF course, having said that. In a few hours or so another person will cheat and I will feel the burning fury of a thousand wronged souls.

But til then: Yaay, internet!

Liberaliter

Sep 17, 2008
I love GTA's open world chaos extending to online play, all I've done is drive around and kill other players on sight. A friend and I have been hunting down individuals and killing them over and over, we figured out how to kill them when they engage passive mode as well, as you can still run them over and, if you time it correctly, punch them to death.

aguspal

Aug 19, 2012
Now, I am not the kind who says stuff like this, but...

Are you new to the GTA series? Or online gaming in general?

I seriously dont understand how someone COULDT expect something like this from the get go. You should expect at least SOME griefing/"Assholes" if you want to be more direct in any given online game.

ESPECIALLY if said game IS, after all, about criminals and shooting and stealing and shit. I mean, cmon on, wake up...

Not that it excuses completly their behavior... but, then again, it IS a GTA game... its kind of in character so yeah.

Roofstone

May 13, 2010
aguspal said:

Are you new to the GTA series? Or online gaming in general?.
The fun thing is that GTA IV wasn't like this, you could argue that there are more people. But I don't ever recall it being this bad, even when it came out.

But yes, I suppose it is to be expected, still it angers me though.

Liberaliter said:
I love GTA's open world chaos extending to online play, all I've done is drive around and kill other players on sight. A friend and I have been hunting down individuals and killing them over and over, we figured out how to kill them when they engage passive mode as well, as you can still run them over and, if you time it correctly, punch them to death.
That is horrible.. Doesn't it feel bad to deliberately make someones gaming experience worse? If they activated the passive mode they obviously do not want to engage in PvP..

Liberaliter

Sep 17, 2008
Roofstone said:
aguspal said:

Are you new to the GTA series? Or online gaming in general?.
The fun thing is that GTA IV wasn't like this, you could argue that there are more people. But I don't ever recall it being this bad, even when it came out.

But yes, I suppose it is to be expected, still it angers me though.

Liberaliter said:
That is horrible.. Doesn't it feel bad to deliberately make someones gaming experience worse? If they activated the passive mode they obviously do not want to engage in PvP..
It definitely makes the other person have a worse gaming experience, but I get a kick out of it and it improves my gaming experience. I know that sounds harsh, but they can always join a new server or make an invite only game.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Roofstone said:
Now, this is barely a rant, it is just me being butthurt over too many races lost. (Which is rather missleading really, if I come eiter 2nd or 16th, it is a "lost" on my statistic. Surely there can be a statistic between victory and defeat?)
In the infamous words of Ricky Bobby: "If you're not first, you're last." :p

Seriously though, here's what you do: find one of your friends (I'd have to hope you've got some friends on your friends list that play GTA Online...EVERYONE should have at least one if they have a friends list at all) and get them to grind out races on the Criminal Records track with you. Personally I don't like racing for exactly the reason you point out: even if you're in first chances are the person behind you is going to do a PIT maneuver on you and spin you out right into a phone pole...that said, it's almost better to hang out in 2nd or 3rd (though still close to the lead car) and just make a move right at the end of the race. Anyways, back to the grinding:

Basically just take turns winning every other race between you and one friend. You both make decent money with alternating your bets (bet 100 when it's your turn to lose, max-bet when it's your turn to win) and you burn through those required wins pretty quickly. Trying to do it in a full race lobby with a bunch of random chuckle-heads...yeah, I can see how that'd be unbelievably frustrating. You can't really call it "unfair", though, because that's how racing is supposed to be in GTA. That'd be like saying that red turtle shells in Mario Kart is unfair.

As for the random jackasses you meet in free-mode: what'd you expect? A happy community of helpful people like you were playing WoW? This is GTA, my friend, a game specifically designed so that people can be complete and total assholes with absolutely no consequences. Of course they're going to shoot you in your face as soon as you spawn in. Of course they're just going to run you over even if you turn on passive mode and not stop running you over until you're dead since passive mode just means they can't shoot you. Again I have to say "play with your friends". For one, if you're all in the same server then you can go with the "strength in numbers" motto. Beyond that, you could just start up a private server for you and your friends to enjoy. To do that you start out in the story mode then go to Online in the pause menu. Click on "Play Online" and "Start Invite Only Session" and poof! No random jackasses to worry about! :p

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
In freemode, it's rampant paranoia. Nobody wants to give someone the benefit of the doubt, because nobody wants to lose their money.

My suggestion is this: roll with a crew.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
Roofstone said:
Liberaliter said:
No, not in the least. When I played on a PvP server back during Classic WoW I camped some poor bastard of an alliance mage (round about lvl 20 or so) for two hours on my friend's rogue (level 60)[footnote]Was over at his house and we swapped characters to see what the classes were like.[/footnote]. When I got bored with him I went terrorize the nearby town of low levels.

It was an intoxicatingly fun experience.