The peope in GTA Online are horrible!

Highlandheadbanger

Jan 8, 2009
Roofstone said:
For a pretense of discussion: Got any different views? Know any nice people? Please do share if you do..
Remember that a multitude of the fans of this game made death threats and spam attacks on reviewers who didn't rate it as the greatest game ever made, you should have known the risks going in.

However, most of this sounds like unfair griping. Just because people you are sharing a mission with play a type of music you don't like doesn't mean they are bad people, they just have differing tastes. If its a big enough deal to warrant a post like this just play with different people grouped together but don't treat it as a personally affront because a person likes gangster rap.

Also trying to eliminate competition in a race is a normal part of competitive racing games. From Mario Kart to Project Gotham I have seen infinite examples of people trying to force people into spinning out or losing position otherwise. That's part of being in a competitive race, gotta learn to watch your opponents and weave.

My roommate plays the game alot and he finds plenty of nice people to play with. Try to sort out the wheat from the chaff by being nice to people, there are gonna be a bunch of trolls out there but its one of the biggest game releases ever, there have to be a sizable amount of good people out there if you look hard enough.

wulf3n

Mar 12, 2012
I dunno, it seems kind of fitting the GTA Online is filled with psychotic ass holes when that's the point of the single player.

It seems like the ultimate RP server.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Oh I absolutely love GTA Online for that very reason. I mean I'm not massively into racing, but some of the offroad ones are fucking hilarious, especially when you're on mic with a friend who decides to got motorcycle, and hearing him scream as everyone just piles onto him and flattens him. Or the tension of almost winning a race to have your mate drive up behind you and ram you headlong into a tree. The fact that it's like Destruction Derby (one of my favourite racing games from my childhood) makes it Fucking great fun. GTA is not the game to be doing serious racing in. Go play Forza or Gran Torismo if you want that.

That and there's always that sense of danger that someone is going to blow your nuts off after robbing a store, huge shootouts with other players with mates, that's exactly what I expect and want!

Saying that there's obviously bugs and issues like the passive mode running over people, but other than that this is exactly what I want in my GTA Online.

NameIsRobertPaulson said:
High school bullies get the same rush from beating up nerds for their lunch money.

Go ahead with the "Video Games vs. Real Life" speech, fact is from my perspective, you're bullying those people.

People like you are why we can't have nice things.
Not the same. You don't have a choice in real life. Not that I grief people like the guy you quoted does, but if you CHOOSE to play on a pvp server, thems the breaks. It is highly likely you will get butchered by high level players, because they can and will.

People who moan about that sort of stuff ruined the absolutely fantastic Zombie event in WoW before Wrath of the Lich King, it was the best Zombie survival game that ever existed bar none.

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
I've had a very similar experience each time I've played the game. It's... disheartening. Say what you will about expectations, it's never fun to constantly run into griefers.

As for races, I have had several occurrences where the opponent would have won if he'd focused on the race instead of trying to run me off the road. The minute someone tries to make contact I make sure to either slam the brakes to get behind them or drive serpentine where if they make contact they'll spin out too. Basically I've won a number of races just by refusing to engage, which seems to be seen as a challenge in the game.

Ah well, what are you gonna do? If you'd like to PM me you're welcome to trade gamertags/PSN IDs with me (I got a copy for each console). I have a couple of Crews going too, though no one has seemed that interested in playing so far.

AnthrSolidSnake

Jun 2, 2011
That's kind of what happens when millions of people play the same game. It attracts a lot of the people who disregard any manners, fairness, and overall just being a good person for once just because it's the internet (or an online game). Plus, look at the gameplay that GTA provides, it only makes sense for people to act that way, since it's what the entire campaign more or less encourages.

The problem with games like this is, it rewards people too much just by killing people. It's the same problem I have with games like DayZ and Infestation (I know, different kinds of games, but the same type of reward system). I could flat out offer someone a piece of my equipment, and they take the opportunity of my generosity to just kill me for everything. Why? Because the game doesn't really offer any other alternative or reward. You get the most benefit from killing people without any question, and since it's a game, there's no real moral consequence either.

Edit: And a title beside your name like "Bandit" isn't a moral consequence. That just lets people know you're an asshole early on, and chances are you're not trying to hide that fact to begin with. It's not like people are going to suddenly try to have a change of heart.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Roofstone said:
Oh and yeah.. Stop changing the radio channel to gangster rap when I am the one driving! In MY car! ME! There are other channels.. That sounds like I overstate it perhaps, but I can remember ONE person that did not want to listen to gangster rap. Thank god for him..
This seems like a pretty petty complaint in the scheme of things.

I mean, fair play on the killing and acting like dicks, but...Changing radio stations? Doesn't stack up.

High school bullies get the same rush from beating up nerds for their lunch money.

Go ahead with the "Video Games vs. Real Life" speech, fact is from my perspective, you're bullying those people.

Those same people are generally fine with it because they get theirs.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
I've only ever played with friends (the game sucks ass in my opinion, so I'll not spend anymore time than that), so I've never interacted with randoms, but when playing with friends all the stuff you moaned about actually are quite fun.

Just don't expect much fair play from anonymous GTA players and give a little back every once in a while. Indulge in the unfairness, why wouldn't you?

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008

"Bullied" not "bullying", I didn't say I still do it. You might want to reign in that sense of moral justice enough to understand what someone wrote before you fly off on a lecture, and assume you know what their counter argument will be.

Fact of the matter is that I didn't like being on a PvP server to begin with precisely because I got sick of getting camped by some guy with a level 60 every few days. When the chance arose I transferred to a PvE server and never looked back.

I'm not going to justify why I did it, I knew precisely what I was doing when I did it; I was making that person miserable simply because I could. (It felt great by the way) That was seven years ago mind you, and seven years ago I was a stupid sophomore in high school that got a rush out of being an anonymous dick online once.

And no, I don't feel bad about it. I know that just burns you up, but it's the truth. I walked away from that experience knowing what it was like to go mad with power, and a story that gets brought up from time to time amongst my friends about that one time I went crazy and camped a guy for 2 hours in WoW.

I was a dick once in an online game, and I feel no remorse over it.

You can get mad about it all you want, but it won't change how I view that experience. I'd say I'm sorry, but I have nothing to apologize to you specifically for; unless of course that would bring you some kind of personal vindication for a wrong I have nothing to do with. I'd rather apologize to that mage I camped, but even then it would be an empty apology.

So go ahead dude, rant and rave all you want, make assumptions about who I am as a person, and pass judgement on me. If it makes you feel better, I'm more than happy to be your emotional punching bag.

anonymity88

Sep 20, 2010
My top tip for winning at GTA races: Get out in first straight away and stay there. I've only done a handful of races and I've won them all with 15 second leads at the end and never seeing the other players get near me, except for one time when I got PIT maneuvered on the last bend, and then got him back inches from the finish line. And that is awesome.

Have to say I'm bad for slaughtering every player I meet. I don't take chances.

Headdrivehardscrew

Aug 22, 2011
I love GTA Online.

However,

it also showed me what Hell must look and sound and feel like.

Just once, I randomly popped into a world filled with kids. Kids that would incessantly kill each other, and do nothing much beyond whine and holler and scream and shout and cry and laugh into their crap ass microphones. They were impervious to logic, they did not get it why someone would not want to take part in their nonsensical shenanigans and the whole experience cranked my misanthropy rating up a notch or two.

Fuck kids. Let's breed some better cancer and spread HIV like candy.

Netrigan

Sep 29, 2010
Unless you're a great racer, you won't win most of the open races very often. It's just a fact of life and all the guys racing dirty won't change it. There's simply too many racing in them for anyone of moderate skill to stand a chance.

And if you're a great racer, you can probably handle the people racing dirty. I'm only of moderate skill myself and I'm finding it easier and easier to know when the hits are coming and slowly developing the skills to minimize the hit or avoid it altogether.

Mostly just keep an eye out for races being held by small groups of people. It's often friends farming and they'll happily accept friendly racers. Assuming you've got some skills, you'll win a fair number of those races.

But the problem is you're just not very good at racing yet. Go in, learn your tracks, learn the trouble spots, learn how to react in those situations, and get better. A lot of the dirty racers aren't very good and are often in the back half of the pack. Mind you, the dirty racers at the front of the pack tend to be the guys who are really, really, really good at taking out other drivers, so learning to race defensively is a skill you'll need to develop.

INF1NIT3 D00M

Aug 14, 2008
Grand Theft Auto V is a great game. I enjoy most of my time in GTA:Online. I think it has a lot of potential. However, playing the game online with randoms answers two questions:
A)Why did I switch to PC gaming?
B)Why do I NEVER play video games with random strangers online if I can help it?

I hate that the players are generally silent. I KNOW everyone got microphones with their Xbox, it would be nice if they could plug those stupid things in and parley with me so we didn't have to have a mexican standoff every time I'm trying to get into or out of Ammu-Nation.

I hate that these mexican standoffs ALWAYS end with them shooting me in the face. Or shooting me in the back. Or shooting me for no reason. Or hitting me while I'm on my motorcycle trying to get from point A to point B. Nine times out of ten, I'm the kind of player who is pulling up to the store they just robbed, honking a few times to tell them to get in. The kind of player who would drop everything to give someone else a hand. Naturally, they shoot me in the face and steal my car. Ten times out of ten, I'm not carrying ANY money. They gain NOTHING from shooting me. I get that there's some fun to be had in griefing, but there are deathmatch modes and missions that give them way more experience and a larger number of targets. I'm not going to say I've never shot someone outside of missions before, but my player-killing extends to bounty hunting, self-defense against bounty hunters, and repeatedly killing some jerk that shot me until he ragequit.

I chalk most of this up to the G.I.F.T. mentioned above, but it sure is frustrating to find so few helpful or cooperative players. I stick to my Crew members (The Goons MC), and just try to be nice in spite of everything. I give tips to new players, I chat as politely as possible to others in the open world, and I actively recruit players to my Crew in the hopes that they'll be less inclined to screw with me. Spending your down time outside the city greatly reduces your chances of getting ganked. Most players hang out in the city, so Trevor Country is generally the safest zone of the map. If your level is high enough, planes and helicopters will often spawn at the Lost airfield as well. I joined the Escapist MC, and I'd suggest that fellow Escapists do the same. You can be in five crews at once, so there's not really any harm in joining a few. We can group up in these crews, and then we'll get more RP for playing with fellow Escapists.

Cabisco

May 7, 2009
hahaha this is actually part of why I love GTA online, the fact everyone is trying to out fuck each other creates a beautiful perfect storm upon which I ride in a bikini blasting Baker Street out of my jet as I mow down innocents.

banthro

Aug 11, 2009
I can personally say that I take great pleasure in harassing, killing, stealing from and generally causing players to band together in order to kill me. Why? Because. It. Is. Fun. When I play GTA V I like to go around, kill someone, steal cars, and generally do evil things. So when I am given the option to do the same thing, but to real people in an online version of the game. People who don't really have anything to lose (the game pretty much begs you to protect your money). And people who can react and give me even more enjoyment, what am I to do?

You can be damn sure I am going to be the biggest arsehole around.

Chicago Ted

Jan 13, 2009
Half of the complaining here reminds me of why there are so many blatantly obvious warning labels on damn near everything.

If you're going to play a Public Match, you need to accept what you're getting yourself into. You want a match where you won't have people randomly going after you? Then go play a private match where you can only invite friends.

The appeal to playing the Public Matches is in the chaos of it all. I've had stand offs in stores on both sides, where I've been ambushed while doing a robbery, and trying to steal someone else's score. Both are incredibly fun to be a part of. Get a few friends together, make a Crew, and roll out in numbers if you want some safety when playing Public. Or play some cooperative missions or something where people won't be taking you out randomly.

INF1NIT3 D00M said:
The kind of player who would drop everything to give someone else a hand. Naturally, they shoot me in the face and steal my car. Ten times out of ten, I'm not carrying ANY money. They gain NOTHING from shooting me.
You do realize you're causing your own problems here right?

Seriously, if someone who I don't know rolls up on me like that while I'm in the middle of something, I have no idea what they're planning. Even if they're appearing nice, and saying get in and the like, you're giving up almost all of your character's control by hopping into that car. There's no telling what that random stranger has planned for you, let alone if they're actually competent in the first place if they aren't up to something.

If someone pulls up on me like that, and I don't know you, you're getting blown away, cuz for all I know, you're ready to spray me with automatic fire and take my hard earned cash. It's self defense in a situation like that. This is especially true if they're in a store, or something like that, because you've essentially got them cornered even if you're not intending it.

Sassafrass

This is a placeholder
Legacy
Aug 24, 2009
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah, it sucks but hey, that's the way it works. Even in racing games that are supposed to be realistic, I've had assholes trying to spin me out.

But hey, it's always funny when you see someone try to spin you out, only to either miss or just bounce off you and spin out. :D

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
I love GTAO.

I hate people in general.

I generally stick to my crew, and don't deal with other people. Saves me a lot of headaches, and I get enough of those from the servers.

I wanna do crime, not deal with ... annoying people that think it's hillarious to shoot me for what ever reason aside form hilllarity if there even is one.

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
So let me see if I can get this straight? The OP is upset because he is finding that a substantial portion of the people who choose to play GTA V Online are evil twisted mouth breathing morons? Really? This came as a surprise? /facepalm! Had you ever actually heard of a GTA game before or explored the nature of them? I mean exactly what sort of player were you expecting to find in a GTA game? It's like firing up a Madden NFL game and being surprised that the only people you ever seem to play with are drunken college frat boys?