The Perfect Non-Gamer Girl

Robert Rath

Oct 8, 2010
The Perfect Non-Gamer Girl

Knowing nothing about games can open your mind to their possibilities.

Read Full Article

hickwarrior

a samurai... devil summoner?
Nov 7, 2007
Now that's the most logical way a relationship would exist. You both are interested in who you are, rather than what you want the other to be. I can definitely see how that works.

And that's quite interesting. I guess because I've been playing games for so long and since it's one of my true passions in life, I think people would hate how I would talk about games. Mainly, through how the game is amazing due to how it plays. I think I'll have to shift from it and just pick a story I had about it. Mostly though, I have a feeling people don't care about it, which might be because of where I talk to them about it. But enough waxing on that particular thing.

Anyway, congratulations on the wedding.

Tombsite

Nov 17, 2012
Might need to visit a dentist after such a heavy dose of sweetness :p

But in all seriousness: Congratulations. I do not know if this means anything coming from a complete stranger but I wish you and your bride to be all the best and truly hope that it will last through for better and for worse and so one. Sounds like you have found a great person to share your life with, and the fact that you are not on a mission to convert her makes you even cooler in my book.
Should probably also comment on the entire point of your article but that will have to wait (gotta go find a toothbrush :p)

Kinitawowi

Nov 21, 2012
1) The heartiest possible congratulations on your pending nuptials, sir.

2) You've hit on an incredibly lucky thing - somebody outside of the gaming sphere who is willing to both talk and listen about them. The problem most gamers have with non-gamers is the feeling that non-gamers not only don't play games, but don't want to have anything to do with games. They're not interested enough to ask as intelligent a question as that which Danielle asked you (I think I side with you on this one, but that may be because I lean more towards the JRPG type than the sandbox AFGNCAAP projection models), and they certainly don't want to hear about the nuances of story and plot and gameplay and historical implications and all that it entails and everything that lies beneath the superficial surface. Gamers want people outside of gaming to be willing to listen to them, to explain why the Jack Thompsons of the world are misrepresenting their hobbies.

In short, you are an incredibly lucky man and Danielle is an incredibly lucky woman.

3) I've never played Angry Birds either.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
I'm not sure why that struck you as such a profound question. It's asked a lot by gamers on the interwebs.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
Congratulations Rath! ;) I hope you don't stay insane after the wedding.

Another great article. Gave me some things to think about. I will try and remember some of the ways to talk about games you spoke of when talking to non-gamers about games.

That one thing about different countries and their level of violence vs. how much they play games, I actually saw someone use that before. I think it was Nancy Pelosi. She was asked about the whole "do video games make people want to be violent?" thing. Specifically using guns. She talked about how Japan has some of the highest sales of violent video games, but has far lower gun violence. Then suggested that this may be because they have more enforced gun control laws.

Thank you for doing this article.
:) My you and your love have happiness always.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
When I got married having a "videogame wedding" just seemed a little... tacky... that's not what I or my wife wanted, we went with something classy that also spoke to us as people, we went with a "book" theme, the center pieces were pretty old books, we lucked out and found a cheap numbered encyclopedia set that we used to mark tables... we also drank a hell of a lot of booze...

It was awesome.

theETG

Oct 2, 2012
If there's one thing I've learned from Jim, it's that there isn't a "perfect gamer girlfriend". Only perfect gamer girlfriend*s*.

Wait...

(Congrats!)

Jan 12, 2012
"Why are fantasy and sci-fi settings more prevalent than historical ones? Does the type of game shape online interaction, and how? If everyone's tired of Call of Duty, why does it sell so well? Are there any comedy games?"

All excellent questions, and ones we expect full columns on over the next couple weeks. No honeymoon for you!

(But congratulations on the wedding. Hope everything goes well, and we'll wait patiently for your return).

Zombie_Moogle

Dec 25, 2008
Congrats on the wedding. Best wishes to you both

I can identify with this, to a degree. My significant other & I are both gamers, but circumstances have made her a true connoisseur of retro console gaming, while I'm more current with heavy leanings toward the indie scene. We both share our love of gaming with each other, but from incredibly different perspectives, which leads to an unusual level of insight between us

It's the differences that make any relationship unique & special (yup, just gave myself diabetes)

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Congrats on your up and coming nuptials dude!

I know I've talked to some of my friends that have no interest in games at all and they ask me questions that make me have to think critically about why I like or dislike something. Even challenge why I did a certain thing in a game if and when that gets brought up, or if something hits the news and I get asked about it.

Zachary Amaranth said:
I'm not sure why that struck you as such a profound question. It's asked a lot by gamers on the interwebs.
I've gotten into conversations like that with other people that play games as well, so maybe I'm just used to engaging with people about that. I will say the first time I talked to someone about that I didn't know how to answer since it was something I never considered.

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
Yeah I have the same kind of deal going on, except I rarely need to talk about video games because my missus is a chatterbox and can go on endlessly. Which is perfectly fine for me, being the quiet type I'm happy to just sit back and listen.

anonymity88

Sep 20, 2010
You hopeless romantic!

Nice article. I've lost relationships because of trying to hard to get the better half interested in games, so I definitely get where you're coming from there.

JakobBloch

Apr 7, 2008
Congratulations. Danielle sounds like a wonderful woman and a real find.

Come to think of it... is this just a thinly veiled "how-on-earth-did-I-get-this-lucky"- or "I-must-have-done-something-really-good-in-a-previous-life"-rant?

In any case I am really happy for you and really envious - I mean - a violinist (among other things), really?

KingWein22

Jun 4, 2010
Congrats on your upcoming wedding!!

I am approaching year 3 on my marriage. My wife is a gaming fan and enjoys watching me play my fav games and like to get into the story sometimes (I can't do gore like games, for that gives her nightmares..except Castlevania.), even interacts with the characters. We're both retro gamers, and I love the way how she gets into the games as I play them story/plot wise.

I truly hope and pray that this article will help gamers with their non-gaming loves to get to know each other more, and have awesome dinner table conversations like you two have.

God bless the both of you!

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Congratulations man. I'm happy for you. And I'm also happy with my gamer girlfriend who can always beat me at fighting games. Regardless of how hard I try to distract her with kisses.

AngelOfBlueRoses

The Cerulean Prince
Nov 5, 2008
Sounds like you've got a real winner there, Mr. Rath. Congratulations and have a long, happy marriage.