The Phantom Pain Revealed at Video Game Awards

Sarah LeBoeuf

Apr 28, 2011
The Phantom Pain Revealed at Video Game Awards

The debut game from Moby Dick Studio is creepy, violent, and mysterious.

The first video game announcement to come out of this evening's Video Game Awards isn't a sequel; it's a new title from the Swedish developer Moby Dick Studio called The Phantom Pain. The trailer begins in a hospital, where the player, in first person, awakens from a coma, and things quickly get weird from there.

The early part of the video, with the eerie figures creeping around the hospital, is reminiscent of Silent Hill, but before long people are getting shot, things are on fire, and all hell breaks loose. "Have I gone to hell?" the voiceover asks.

That's about the extent of what was revealed about The Phantom Pain tonight; there was no news about platforms or a release window. This will be the first game from Moby Dick Studio, so it's hard to know what to expect; presumably, there will be more news about The Phantom Pain in the coming months.

Or maybe this is an elaborate tease for the next Metal Gear game. We'll keep you posted.

Image source: Polygon [http://www.polygon.com/2012/12/7/3742204/the-phantom-pain-moby-dick-studio]

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
The main guy looks like young Solid Snake.

Mullet, slight beard, headband (okay, it's a bandage, bit it's there). I swear I even saw markings on his cheeks.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
GIANT FLYING FIRE WHALE WHAT THE FUCK
Alright, I'm paying attention to this.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Yeah, rumours abound that it's an MGS thing. From what I heard anyway (NOTE: I DIDN'T ACTUALLY SEE IT SO I CAN'T CONFIRM THIS!), apparently the name of the studio is Mobydick Games Studios (MGS), Psycho Mantis makes a cameo and the end of the trailer and a variety of other hints towards MGS are made.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
Shakura Jolithion said:
"This video has been removed by the user" :( Anyone got an alternative link?
I think the VGA awards are being replayed right now, or at least over here. And I haven't seen that video yet. So you're on time.

EDIT: Actually, you know what? I didn't see any video! I saw Kojima and his posse but I didn't see this video, or any mention of it, at all. So what the fuck? :/

At any rate, it looks a lot like a MGS game. Snake-look-alike, Volguin-look-alike, petals, the mullet, random, weird creatures that can exist because of some explanation, the mullet, some Psycho Mantis look-alike, the mullet, the name of the developer that's also an anagram for Kojima, THE MULLET!

It would suck if it does turn out to be a MGS game only because it's like when you're planning an elaborate joke or a mystery case or something and someone solves it in less than a minute. And you haven't even got to the good, intriguing part. You just feel disappointed.

And also because Kojima would be contradicting himself when he says he's more than just MGS. :/

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
Andy Shandy said:
Yeah, rumours abound that it's an MGS thing. From what I heard anyway (NOTE: I DIDN'T ACTUALLY SEE IT SO I CAN'T CONFIRM THIS!), apparently the name of the studio is Mobydick Games Studios (MGS), Psycho Mantis makes a cameo and the end of the trailer and a variety of other hints towards MGS are made.
I'm looking at the "Official Website" right now and they are simply calling themselves Moby Dick Studio, which would be the acronym MDS.

ANYWAYS: I really hope this isn't related to MGS: Ground Zeroes. It would really piss me off to see what appears to be a unique game reveal itself as a marketing stunt for a completely different game series that has already established itself.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
V8 Ninja said:
Andy Shandy said:
I'm looking at the "Official Website" right now and they are simply calling themselves Moby Dick Studio, which would be the acronym MDS.

ANYWAYS: I really hope this isn't related to MGS: Ground Zeroes. It would really piss me off to see what appears to be a unique game reveal itself as a marketing stunt for a completely different game series that has already established itself.
Ah fair enough then. Like I said, I didn't actually see it, it was just someone had said it either in the chat of, or on, the Destructoid live commentary of it, when the VGA cameras showed Kojima again.

And I agree with you, as much I love MGS, I'd like to see this be a new IP.

Full

Sep 3, 2012
hazabaza1 said:
GIANT FLYING FIRE WHALE WHAT THE FUCK
Alright, I'm paying attention to this.
Fucking fire wing horse.
I'll keep a look out on this.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
V8 Ninja said:
Andy Shandy said:
Oh dear. Now I'm worried they might be teasing something related to the second worst anime ever - Most Dangerous Soldier. :p

(The worst is Mars of Destruction, in case anyone is wondering.)

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
Eh, could be MGS5, could not be; we need more info to say for sure. Whatever the case may be, MGS5 or no, judging by the trailer, the game is looking hella bad-ass so far. Really looking forward to more info on this baby. :p

Eternal_Lament

Sep 23, 2010
Tohuvabohu said:
Looks like Kojima is playing another prank on us.

[/QUOTE]

The "two phantoms" part combined with the title "phantom pain" reminds me of the phenomenon where soldiers who lose a limb in battle can sometimes feel pain in that limb even when it's not there, as well as the other phenomenon where some people think that if, with a pair of twins, one twin experiences pain then the other will also experience it. Taking that into mind, I wonder if the story here is that "Ground Zero" has the original Big Boss, but "The Phantom Pain" is perhaps like the first attempt at cloning Big Boss. Keep in mind that I'm not incredibly up-to-date with MGS lore, so someone correct me if there's a definite reason why this is probably improbable, if not impossible.

nomaner

May 9, 2012
The description for the developer, Moby Dick Studios, says that it was "founded by CEO Joakim Mogren who after years of working for a major American developer brought together people out of various game studios from around the Scandinavian area to start something new." So far there is nothing about a "Joakim Mogren," but rearrange "Joakim" and you get Kojima, as in Hideo Kojima, creator of the Metal Gear Series, and "Mogren" contains the word "ogre" in it, as in Project Ogre, something Kojima has been working on for a while.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Ah, conspiracy theories.

Zhukov said:
The main guy looks like young Solid Snake.

Mullet, slight beard, headband (okay, it's a bandage, bit it's there). I swear I even saw markings on his cheeks.
Don't forget that in the screenshot used for this article, his run stance looks almost exactly like Snake's running animation, too. :D

OT: It'll be interesting to see what this ends up being, either it's own new IP or a hilariously elaborate tease for Metal Gear Solid, either way count me interested.

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
Trailer for anyone who hasn't seen it:

If this is MGS, how comes Big Boss has one arm? He's always been shown with two arms in every game set after Ground Zeros.

Although yeah. I'm calling it. The guy with the bandages all over his face is the horribly burned guy from the gameplay trailer. This is probably a flash back or something.

FallenTraveler

Jun 11, 2010
The sad part is, a crazy survival horror game about the struggle of coping with losing a limb is an amazing idea. With some more work and some more creepy factor it would be incredible to see that. It would be especially cool if Frictional made a game like that.

I know this is probably a MGS tease, but god damn this got me excited for a super trippy game about soldiers on meds trying to cope with losing their limbs...