The Philippines Outlaws Trolls, Cybersex

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
The Philippines Outlaws Trolls, Cybersex

Libelous comments on social network sites could net you up to 12 years in the slammer in the Philippines.

Take off your robes and wizard hats, folks. The government of the Philippines recently passed a cybersecrurity act which criminalizes computer fraud, malware and data theft. Unfortunately for the nation's cam girls and trolls, the new laws also effectively outlaw cybersex and trolling. Under the new laws, leaving a libelous comment on a social network site or blog could net you a 12-year, no-parole prison sentence. The act also makes the procurement and publication of passwords illegal.

The act has attracted a slew of criticism from the foreign media, mainly due to the restrictions it places on the population's personal freedoms, but the Philippines government insists the act is in the public's best interest. According to comments made to The Sun (the newspaper, as opposed to the celestial body) the cybersex law is designed to protect young women from being forced into the "cam girls" trade.

The bill defines cybersex as "the willful engagement, maintenance, control, or operation, directly or indirectly, of any lascivious exhibition of sexual organs or sexual activity, with the aid of a computer system, for favor or consideration".

In the act's favor, it also outlaws unsolicited advertising and domain name squatting.

The act can be read in its entirety here. [http://www.gov.ph/2012/09/12/republic-act-no-10175/]

Source: The Register [http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/09/26/philippines_cybercrime_law_criticized/]

Editor's Note: I've updated this post to read "cam girl" instead of "cam whore." The initial phrasing was meant as a descriptive term, not a derogatory statement or moral judgement. Yet, regardless of intention, the original wording could easily be interpreted as offensive, and so has been updated to reflect those concerns.

SovietSecrets

iDrink, iSmoke, iPill
Nov 16, 2008
Grey Carter said:
According to comments made to The Sun (the newspaper, as opposed to the celestial body) the cybersex law is designed to protect young women from being forced into the "cam girls" trade.
I had no idea there was such a thing as the "cam girls trade". I wonder how criminals are operating that one.

Mattlore

Feb 27, 2012
EcksTeaSea said:
Grey Carter said:
According to comments made to The Sun (the newspaper, as opposed to the celestial body) the cybersex law is designed to protect young women from being forced into the "cam girls" trade.
I had no idea there was such a thing as the "cam girls trade". I wonder how criminals are operating that one.
I guess it's like how internet trolls blackmail women into exposing themselves on camera here. It wouldn't take a whole lot. Just some coercion, threats of information (Be it personal or professional) to be leaked to unauthorized sources, or even tracking someone via IP address and threatening physical harm to them.

gardian06

Jun 18, 2012
Mattlore said:
EcksTeaSea said:
Grey Carter said:
I guess it's like how internet trolls blackmail women into exposing themselves on camera here. It wouldn't take a whole lot. Just some coercion, threats of information (Be it personal or professional) to be leaked to unauthorized sources, or even tracking someone via IP address and threatening physical harm to them.
Slow down Holmes you skipped one of the steps of deduction. the part where these women are doing it for the money. these sites featuring "cam girls" will generally charge either a subscription fee, or a pay-per-view model, and even if these girls get as little as say 10% of that its still some decent money. I remember one site that I clicked on for research a few weeks ago wanted like $20 a month, and still had "premium" cams for like $30-100 for one 20 minute "session" (granted this was like a Slovak type site, but you get the picture) so if these girls get even a small cut of that money they still make more then most American minimum wage jobs.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
Good luck ENFORCING that, ya uptight dumbasses.

What happens if I post on a Philippine owned site and troll someone?

Gonna arrest me in another country?

Bernzz

Assumed Lurker
Legacy
Mar 27, 2009
Country
Australia
gardian06 said:
I remember one site that I clicked on for research a few weeks ago
gardian06 said:
for research
Heh. Sure.

I do agree with you though. Cam girls trade? They make good money off of this.

Also, outlawing trolling on the Internet? I guess they'll have to restrict access to YouTube.

gardian06

Jun 18, 2012
Tanis said:
Good luck ENFORCING that, ya uptight dumbasses.

What happens if I post on a Philippine owned site and troll someone?

Gonna arrest me in another country?
this law is not stopping you from starting a flame war with a Philippino (they would probably just trace your IP to out of country, and block you). this is stopping the Philippino from trolling, and would probably do a trace on them to find their location. granted I like/dislike this logic.

how bout this lets connect Escapist posts to Facebooks/LinkedIn/MySpace(for those that still us it), and then see how many flame-wars/trolls show up in the threads. because like MovieBob has said at least once 'the internet gives everyone the ability to be H. G. Wells Invisible Man for a few minutes every day'

Mattlore

Feb 27, 2012
gardian06 said:
Mattlore said:
EcksTeaSea said:
Grey Carter said:
Slow down Holmes you skipped one of the steps of deduction. the part where these women are doing it for the money. these sites featuring "cam girls" will generally charge either a subscription fee, or a pay-per-view model, and even if these girls get as little as say 10% of that its still some decent money. I remember one site that I clicked on for research a few weeks ago wanted like $20 a month, and still had "premium" cams for like $30-100 for one 20 minute "session" (granted this was like a Slovak type site, but you get the picture) so if these girls get even a small cut of that money they still make more then most American minimum wage jobs.
Oh I am well aware that there are girls that do it willingly, it just seemed like the main point of this: "designed to protect young women from being forced into the "cam girls" trade." was pertaining to girls that aren't doing it willingly.

gardian06

Jun 18, 2012
Bernzz said:
...snip...
gardian06 said:
for research
Heh. Sure.
I do agree with you though. Cam girls trade? They make good money off of this.

Also, outlawing trolling on the Internet? I guess they'll have to restrict access to YouTube.
I went with research because at this point who really believes the "I only got there when I clicked by mistake", and besides I wanted to see what site all those email spoofers in my spam were pointing at, so yes I can get away with calling it research.

maxben

Jun 9, 2010
gardian06 said:
Mattlore said:
EcksTeaSea said:
Grey Carter said:
They do not. Most cam girls have no idea the money coming in and get a pittance from the, usually, foreign businessmen.

gardian06

Jun 18, 2012
Mattlore said:
gardian06 said:
Mattlore said:
EcksTeaSea said:
Grey Carter said:
Oh I am well aware that there are girls that do it willingly, it just seemed like the main point of this: "designed to protect young women from being forced into the "cam girls" trade." was pertaining to girls that aren't doing it willingly.
fair enough though I think the unwilling is less cloak, and dagger "if you do not perform for this camera we will kill your family", and more "do I not have a job, and let my family not eat that much, or do I perform for a camera every so often to live reasonably well."

It's similar to what happens in Las Vegas, Nevada, USA (American pride) one of the most common jobs is prostitute, and even though it is questionable, but not absolutely illegal doesn't mean that every one that does it is willing either, but they keep talking about it like its a problem, but its mostly a "problem" because the income isn't really taxable, or provable, but from the moral side it's a "problem" because for many of these people it's have sex for money, or live on the streets.

gardian06

Jun 18, 2012
maxben said:
gardian06 said:
Mattlore said:
EcksTeaSea said:
Grey Carter said:
They do not. Most cam girls have no idea the money coming in and get a pittance from the, usually, foreign businessmen.
owner, worker, or direct contact? realistically these are the only ways anyone can say with any absolute certainty what these people get for their trade. government officials concerned with inability to regulate will through around things of how deplorable it is to have X job, but the thing is unless they actually talk to one of the aforementioned people its just a political message. they try to say the same thing about legal brothels, but when they actually show the numbers they actually make not that bad of money.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
Steve Hughes, your up pal.

How can you make something subjective illegal for Christ's Sake?!!!

As for cam girls, urgh, do not get me started.

marurder

Jul 26, 2009
Mattlore said:
EcksTeaSea said:
Grey Carter said:
It's a huge thing happening there. The girls don't necessarily advertise they are under 18, but many are.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Boudica said:
Grey Carter said:
Unfortunately for the nation's cam whores
That's disgusting and shameful. The kind of language I'd expect to see from someone not representing a company.

It's not acceptable. Don't use slurs to describe people you feel morally superior to. If you dislike how some people choose to behave while not harming anyone, or how some enjoy their sex life, go ahead and ignore it. Don't spit out that kind of bile.

Nerd, geek, loser -- words you may be called for playing video games. Used by bullies and assholes to make themselves feel better.
Whore, slut, skank -- words you may be called for enjoying sex or being flirtatious. Used by morally condescending people and the occasional sexually frustrated loner.

If your personal issues give you the urge to use any of the latter, you lose the right to dislike, complain or condemn the use of the former. Words designed to shame and hurt have zero place here. Your stories would do well to keep your chosen morality and gutter slang out of them.
I'm going to agree with that, that wording was out of line.