The Philippines Outlaws Trolls, Cybersex

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
Boudica said:
Grey Carter said:
Unfortunately for the nation's cam whores
That's disgusting and shameful. The kind of language I'd expect to see from someone not representing a company.

It's not acceptable. Don't use slurs to describe people you feel morally superior to. If you dislike how some people choose to behave while not harming anyone, or how some enjoy their sex life, go ahead and ignore it. Don't spit out that kind of bile.

Nerd, geek, loser -- words you may be called for playing video games. Used by bullies and assholes to make themselves feel better.
Whore, slut, skank -- words you may be called for enjoying sex or being flirtatious. Used by morally condescending people and the occasional sexually frustrated loner.

If your personal issues give you the urge to use any of the latter, you lose the right to dislike, complain or condemn the use of the former. Words designed to shame and hurt have zero place here. Your stories would do well to keep your chosen morality and gutter slang out of them.
Its a joke, take it with a grain of salt and relax a little bit. The news posts here are informal as most gaming communities are and as such, they tend to place humorous jabs within their articles and writings. Whether you find these things funny or not is up to you, but it does not give you the right to dictate how the man does his job or writings. If you want a formal writing on what is occurring in the Philippines, I suggest going to a news site, reading an international paper or you could learn Spanish and read the law yourself.

OT: The entire country is a mess. That said, its going to be interesting to see how they plan to enforce this seeing as how they already have trouble enforcing some of their most basic laws.

Mike Kayatta

Minister of Secrets
Aug 2, 2011
karloss01 said:
thaluikhain said:
Boudica said:
Don't use slurs to describe people you feel morally superior to. If you dislike how some people choose to behave while not harming anyone, or how some enjoy their sex life, go ahead and ignore it.
I'm going to agree with that, that wording was out of line.
Thirded, bit strong for a news article don't ya think?
Hey guys, I've updated this post to read "cam girl" instead of "cam whore." The initial phrasing was meant as a descriptive term, not a derogatory statement or moral judgement. Yet, regardless of intention, the original wording could easily be interpreted as offensive, and so has been updated to reflect those concerns.

Indignation837

Apr 11, 2010
Outlaw trolling? I thought that was the point of the internet.

Mike Kayatta said:
Hey guys, I've updated this post to read "cam girl" instead of "cam whore." The initial phrasing was meant as a descriptive term, not a derogatory statement or moral judgement. Yet, regardless of intention, the original wording could easily be interpreted as offensive, and so has been updated to reflect those concerns.
I wasn't offended by it in the first place seeing as it's a pretty common term on the interweb, but good on you for changing it anyway.

InsanityRequiem

Nov 9, 2009
Mike Kayatta said:
karloss01 said:
thaluikhain said:
Boudica said:
Don't use slurs to describe people you feel morally superior to. If you dislike how some people choose to behave while not harming anyone, or how some enjoy their sex life, go ahead and ignore it.
I'm going to agree with that, that wording was out of line.
Thirded, bit strong for a news article don't ya think?
Sucks people don't seem to understand context much. Heck, Boudica's "definition" of the words don't put in the context of those who use the words in stride, or people in the 'group' that like to use the words, or in case of 'whore/slut/skank' lovers that like to use the words in bed. It's all in the name of context that the demeaning is there.

But back on topic. While I kinda understand the government's logic behind the law, I find it flawed and ultimately a waste of resources to try and police the internet for trolls and camera erotica. The fraud/online theft stuff though? That's definitely something that needed such a law. Fraud/online theft is utter balls in how bad it is everywhere.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
Yes because it dose not put money into the hands of the officially supported black market(that owns the officials). Go get them STD riddled under age hookers!

zelda2fanboy

Oct 6, 2009
Well, there's one more country I'm never ever going to. Way to make yourself look even more backwards to the outside world.

Captcha: first world

Louzerman102

Mar 12, 2011
Boudica said:
maddawg IAJI said:
Boudica said:
Grey Carter said:
That's disgusting and shameful. The kind of language I'd expect to see from someone not representing a company.

It's not acceptable. Don't use slurs to describe people you feel morally superior to. If you dislike how some people choose to behave while not harming anyone, or how some enjoy their sex life, go ahead and ignore it. Don't spit out that kind of bile.

Nerd, geek, loser -- words you may be called for playing video games. Used by bullies and assholes to make themselves feel better.
Whore, slut, skank -- words you may be called for enjoying sex or being flirtatious. Used by morally condescending people and the occasional sexually frustrated loner.

If your personal issues give you the urge to use any of the latter, you lose the right to dislike, complain or condemn the use of the former. Words designed to shame and hurt have zero place here. Your stories would do well to keep your chosen morality and gutter slang out of them.
Its a joke, take it with a grain of salt and relax a little bit. The news posts here are informal as most gaming communities are and as such, they tend to place humorous jabs within their articles and writings. Whether you find these things funny or not is up to you, but it does not give you the right to dictate how the man does his job or writings. If you want a formal writing on what is occurring in the Philippines, I suggest going to a news site, reading an international paper or you could learn Spanish and read the law yourself.

OT: The entire country is a mess. That said, its going to be interesting to see how they plan to enforce this seeing as how they already have trouble enforcing some of their most basic laws.
It's highly inappropriate to call someone a whore. Period. If a user was to describe a group as anything like that, they'd rightfully be met with moderation. I would expect the staff and individuals working for the website would also refrain from malicious slurs. The term whore isn't a descriptor and it isn't a hobby. The word is meant to degrade and to shame. Again, no place for it here.

I've every right in the world to give constructive criticism and I did; I pointed to something very wrong, explained why it is wrong and how to fix it. You not liking my constructive criticism doesn't give you the right to tell me not to do it. I worded myself carefully and did nothing at all wrong. If you want to attempt to defend calling someone a whore and consider it "humorous," you're more than welcome to. I am also welcome to say no. No it is not okay. Yes, it's incredibly offensive.
I think that there needs to be a little clarification here. Grey Carter missed the quotation marks in the original statement. Instead of cam whore which sounds as if he is judging the person, he should have used "cam whore" which is what the women who post pictures of themselves naked on 4chan are called. Yes, the term is derogatory; it is also word for word what they are called. The statement was not judgmental it was good reporting. Now, to use a bad analogy; Grey Carter called it a car, you responded that it should be called a vehicle because it sounds more professional, but everyone just calls them cars.

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
Boudica said:
maddawg IAJI said:
Boudica said:
Grey Carter said:

It's highly inappropriate to call someone a whore. Period. If a user was to describe a group as anything like that, they'd rightfully be met with moderation. I would expect the staff and individuals working for the website would also refrain from malicious slurs. The term whore isn't a descriptor and it isn't a hobby. The word is meant to degrade and to shame. Again, no place for it here.

I've every right in the world to give constructive criticism and I did; I pointed to something very wrong, explained why it is wrong and how to fix it. You not liking my constructive criticism doesn't give you the right to tell me not to do it. I worded myself carefully and did nothing at all wrong. If you want to attempt to defend calling someone a whore and consider it "humorous," you're more than welcome to. I am also welcome to say no. No it is not okay. Yes, it's incredibly offensive.
He didn't call anyone a whore though. There is no specific group or gender or race or anything who is left being targeted by that phrase. He used the word in a descriptive manner to give us a stereotypical image of who is effected by this law. In this case, we imagine the duck facing teenagers who are constantly posting images of themselves with statues that say "OMG! im so fat!". Its not a group of people and it isn't a single person. Its a stereotype, a stock character, a ludicrous idea that we use not as an insult, but to laugh at the sheer absurdity of someone actually acting like that. Yes, there are some people who act that way, in the same way that there are actual hipsters who use the phrase "too mainstream", but I highly doubt many of them will be "insulted" by what Mr.Carter said and I doubt they even crossed Mr. Carter's mind when he wrote it down. Heck, you did the same thing when you wrote a stereotypical description of people who use the words like whore, slut or skank. You created an absurd stereotypical image that is meant to convey an image of a goody two shoes individual. And you know what? I'm sure there are people in this world who would still take offense at your definition.

True, you do have the right to give constructive criticism, but I am not seeing the same issue from my point of view. You're giving far too much power to the word and you're allowing it to be offensive when its not even being used as an insult, but as an internet meme.

tangoprime

Renegade Interrupt
May 5, 2011
Uber Waddles said:
Then we get down to the controversial stuff. Banning cybersex is stupid, from my point of view, but theirs probably a reason. Cyber Sex cartels sounds made up, but I don't live in the Philippines, so I don't know how big of an issue it is. Personally, I believe its a way of expressing sexuality in a more controlled manner than other forms, but is still very risky and damaging to a person - you're never sure who's filming and uploading those exploits. I don't partake in it, but hey - to each their own.
Just a clarification, the qualifier "for favor or consideration" is at the end of that section is added for a reason, it means it can't be done in exchange for payment. They're not outlawing what people can do over skype/yahoo/etc. with each other, only that they can't do it for pay. HUGE difference.

captcha: needs, must *really?*

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Mattlore said:
EcksTeaSea said:
Grey Carter said:
According to comments made to The Sun (the newspaper, as opposed to the celestial body) the cybersex law is designed to protect young women from being forced into the "cam girls" trade.
I had no idea there was such a thing as the "cam girls trade". I wonder how criminals are operating that one.
I guess it's like how internet trolls blackmail women into exposing themselves on camera here. It wouldn't take a whole lot. Just some coercion, threats of information (Be it personal or professional) to be leaked to unauthorized sources, or even tracking someone via IP address and threatening physical harm to them.
There's a legit side to it too.

tangoprime

Renegade Interrupt
May 5, 2011
Boudica said:
maddawg IAJI said:
Boudica said:
maddawg IAJI said:
Boudica said:
Grey Carter said:

He didn't call anyone a whore though. There is no specific group or gender or race or anything who is left being targeted by that phrase. He used the word in a descriptive manner to give us a stereotypical image of who is effected by this law. In this case, we imagine the duck facing teenagers who are constantly posting images of themselves with statues that say "OMG! im so fat!". Its not a group of people and it isn't a single person. Its a stereotype, a stock character, a ludicrous idea that we use not as an insult, but to laugh at the sheer absurdity of someone actually acting like that. Yes, there are some people who act that way, in the same way that there are actual hipsters who use the phrase "too mainstream", but I highly doubt many of them will be "insulted" by what Mr.Carter said and I doubt they even crossed Mr. Carter's mind when he wrote it down. Heck, you did the same thing when you wrote a stereotypical description of people who use the words like whore, slut or skank. You created an absurd stereotypical image that is meant to convey an image of a goody two shoes individual. And you know what? I'm sure there are people in this world who would still take offense at your definition.

True, you do have the right to give constructive criticism, but I am not seeing the same issue from my point of view. You're giving far too much power to the word and you're allowing it to be offensive when its not even being used as an insult, but as an internet meme.
If you entered a thread and used the terms nerd, geek or loser, justifying it by saying it's a genuine descriptor for people that are into technology, you'd be laughed at and hit the a warning. If you do the same thing with cam whore in its place, you should also cop the penalty.

It is exceptionally offensive to women and it's not okay. Do not use it to describe someone. Simple. We had this conversation not long ago and Susan clarified; you are not to use words or phrases that can be reasonably believed to be offensive -- you don't call a friend "******" here, even if you two genuinely use it in casual conversation. If you call someone a whore, you are being offensive. I don't make a thread and throw around loser, geek and nerd, hiding behind the inane excuse that I didn't aim it at anyone specifically.

Microsoft is changing their EULA? Too bad for all the losers and nerds.

Stereotyping your target and pretending it's normal to slander and degrade certain people doesn't make it any better. Don't even try to act like it does.
I... have to agree. That was a bit cringe worthy. "Cam Prostitutes" would have, maybe, been acceptable to see, since that's a descriptor accurate to what the law was talking about, but yeah, what was there was a bit much, glad it's been changed.

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
DVS BSTrD said:
Yeah, because it's the cyber sex trade that's the real problem in the Philippines -_-
This.

**head desk**

Really? They're worried about women being forced to be "Cam Girls?"

What about the girls forced to be ACTUAL prostitutes against their will? What are you doing about that, Philippines Government?

Absolutely fucking nothing is the answer to that question.

**head desks again**

l3o2828

Mar 24, 2011
I like how everyone got offended at the cam-whore business.
That's how they are called, darlings.
That's how they call THEMSELVES.

fletch_talon

Nov 6, 2008
How dare you call [women who provide random people on the internet personalised one on one pornography (ie. sexual gratification) for money] cam-whores!

The politically correct term is cam-escort.

Icehearted

Jul 14, 2009
The cyber-sex thing I get, there are really way to many genitals in the internet as it is, but trolls? I mean, c'mon.

ErwinGodfrey

Jul 17, 2012
Good to know that the Philippines is at the forefront of passing authoritarian censorship laws. I'm guessing that many of the "trolls" will be arrested, because they were "trolling" about the government's policies or "trolling" about corruption in the police and military forces.

You know I'm much less sympathetic towards their territorial dispute with China, if these are the kind of laws they are passing.

SpectacularWebHead

Jun 11, 2012
saintdane05 said:
But... now where can I enjoy my yiffing?
There are still plenty of other yiffers to choose from. The rest of the world is your insanely creepy oyster.

OT: Hmm, I agree with the trolling to a point, somethings that trolls say are clearly way over the line, but it's all about perspective in some cases. As for the cam girls thing, I gotta say I think it's better if the minority who did it through choice can't do it anymore rather than keep the majority who didn't want to in that position.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Seems like a third world country trying to act relevent by policing it's technology, without any real clue of what it's doing. Basically aping what first world countries are examining and making a ruling so they can show that they can. Sad but true.

That point which some people will probably not like aside, let's examine this.

1. Despite what a lot of Americans believe the entire world has substantially less freedom than the US to begin with, including most "enlightened" first world nations that are compared to the US favorably without much actual information. Claiming that certain things curtail a freedom of speech doesn't make much sense unless a given people has the same kind of fundemental guarantee that the US has (where it was one of our founding principles). This also incidently makes it easier for many nations to pass sweeping laws of this sort, since they don't have to worry about the same issues to the same degree. Most countries with free speech laws don't have them enshrined as a basic, fundemental principle, the way the US does.

That point aside, the law that will prevent trolling is more or less irrelevent. Unless their definition of slander/libel works far differantly in practice than that of the US, your dealing with what is fundementally an unenforcable law, no matter what sentence is attached to it.

The reason for this is simple, you need to prove that the guy engaged in slander or libel is making something up, and had no reason to believe what they were saying was true. If some guy can justify why he thought such a thing it's more or less a non-issue. A simple rumor can be used as a defense, unless you can prove the guy being prosecuted started it, or even then have to prove that he had no logical reason to believe what he did. Companies and individuals who do contreversial or unpopular things and keep the truth close to themselves effectively make themselves victims. All of this (believe it or not) is a big part of why you don't see slander and libel suits being thrown around left and right.

Basically what the Phillipines is doing is threatening a 12 year prison sentence as a deterrant, and reinforcing that such laws apply to computers, they still apparently have to prove libel, but can use someone doing it with a computer as an aggravating circumstance for a more severe sentence. In the end trying to actually enforce this would probably bankrupt their court system. Journalists and those who act as sources actually have more to worry about here than your typical troll.

2. When it comes to the entire "cybersex" thing I think it's doomed. I also think a lot of people are not thinking this through, it seems to me like a classic back door measure from the way it's defined. It's morality law.

The way this reads they could pretty much outlaw any porn movie that used digital editing or camera equipment (working through computers/hard drives/etc...) and indeed any movie with adult material. I think THAT is the intent more than anything here, despite how the law appears.

The Phillipines having something of a reputation as being one of those sexual wild wests despite any domestic laws on the subject. It's a place you can order custom "art movies" from as well as a common destination for sexual tourists who want to solicit prostitutes, or bring children outside of their country to have sex, or whatever else. Deserved or not, it's up there with a few other countries/regions. This could be intended to curtail this entire area of behavior.

As far as "Cam Girls" go,it can be complicated. You do indeed have virtual peep shows where instead of a booth girls do things in front of a web cam for an audience. However when the term "Cam Girl" as opposed to "Cam Whore" is used semi-officially a differant meaning tends to arise, even if the common vernacular makes them interchangable.

Your typical Cam Girl is a predator who hangs out on sites frequented by nerds and lonely guys. They act friendly through chat, eventually arrange a "face to face" via Camera, and then gradually start giving sob stories, as a way of soliciting money, gifts, and other things. Sometimes this can overlap with flirting or people showing off their naughty bits and such, but for the most part it refers to a differant kind of con. This kind of thing is a big part of why there is so much distrust of "geek and gamer girls" especially those that are attractive. When caught some of these girls wind up on sites like "Encyclopedia Dramatica" in one form or another by way of payback.

At any rate, I'd imagine if the target is cam girls (which this law won't really work for, for reasons I probably don't have to explain, among them the nessecity of sexual material) it's because you had a lot of guys getting POed about being scammed and complaining about it. Basically if some girl begs stuff off of you after forming a connection, you comply, and then find out she does nothing but sit around all day begging gifts off of a circle of differant people, perhaps with differant stories, your going to be rather upset.

I seem to remember years ago there was a failed attempt to legislate away "gift lists" on sites like Amazon.com and other virtual merchants, as they were heavily exploited by cam-girls as a way of people sending them things behind a veil of relative anonimity.

The big differance is your typical cam-girl is more of a con-artist, or cyberspace grifter, preying on vulnerable and lonely guys. Sex might not be involved. Cam-whores are self explanitory. The two can overlap, but that's not a given. In cases where something overlaps you might find an underage girl who feels safe on the internet (as an example) showing off her goods in exchange for presents. In many cases I've heard alleged "cyber molestors", are lonely people with a lack of willpower, with it being the girls who initiate such things feeling safe behind the internet, and enjoying the presents they get, and then claiming victimization when they are caught. Of course there are millions of variations, I'm sure we've all heard the stories in all directions.