The Pillars of Eternity II Fig Campaign Has Raised More Than $3 million

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
The Pillars of Eternity II Fig Campaign Has Raised More Than $3 million

Obsidian's crowdfunding campaign is the most backed game in Fig's history.

With three days remaining on its crowdfunding campaign [https://www.fig.co/campaigns/deadfire?update=274#about], Obsidian has raised more than $3 million from more than 26,000 backers to create the sequel to Pillars of Eternity. Obsidian was seeking $1.1 million in funding to develop Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire, and reached its initial goal less than 24 hours after launching. According to the press release, Pillars of Eternity II is "the third video game in the past 12 months to receive this level of support from fans on any crowdfunding platform. The other two campaigns were also on Fig.co, Psychonauts 2 (Double Fine) and Wasteland 3 (inXile Entertainment)." The number of backers makes it the most backed game on Fig, split evenly between traditional rewards and equity backers.

"Thank you, thank you, thank you to all our fans, backers, and investors for helping us reach the amazing milestone of $3 million dollars! It's truly amazing that we've hit this point," reads an update on the campaign page [https://www.fig.co/campaigns/deadfire?update=274#updates]. "We're now the campaign with the most backers in Fig history, and it's due to our amazing fans who, like us, want to make Pillars of Eternity II the deepest, most robust, and most engrossing RPG it can possibly be."

[gallery=6965]

Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire is currently in development for Windows PC, Mac, and Linux.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
Just going to point out that Project Eternity achieved nearly $4 million and had around 3 times as many backers. Being that other than some Drama about Obsidian removing a supposedly anti-trans headstone the game wasn't controversial or considered a faliure in any way. I can't help but think that this campaign would have been more popular over on Kickstarter.

But then i dislike Double Fine, Brian Fargo and InXile so possibly i'm biased

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
Oh, nearly missed that. At least there are still some days left.

Really liked the first game.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
It was a good game, functionally way better than Baulders Gates but $30 is a bit steep for that product IMO

Apr 5, 2008
trunkage said:
It was a good game, functionally way better than Baulders Gates but $30 is a bit steep for that product IMO
$30 is a bit steep for dozens of hours of deep, reactive, highly replayable RPG? Some people it seems just can't be pleased. I've never read anything so bloody absurd.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
KingsGambit said:
trunkage said:
$30 is a bit steep for dozens of hours of deep, reactive, highly replayable RPG? Some people it seems just can't be pleased. I've never read anything so bloody absurd.
Have to agree. I backed both for a fair bit more than that! The Original is a well written, well thought out game and plays beautifully. And it's a lot less buggy than other Obsidian titles. I'm willing to pay for that!

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
KingsGambit said:
trunkage said:
A few years ago people were comparing Fallout 3 and NV (and Skyrim for that matter), especially pointing out the writing, decisions you made and story were better. I decided to go back and play the 2D fallouts again and both Baulder's Gate. I realised that there were only a couple of minor decisions that affected the story line, that it looked like a person who was attempting to write fancy but just doesn't have the chops and can anyone say that BG1 kill the Usurper was every a good storyline.

I literally finished PoE a couple of days ago. I looked back for memorable bits. The Dragon fights were challenging, Durance trail was interesting but ruined because he had the same lines even if he changed his beliefs. Twin Elms was all terrible and probably soured the whole experience for me. Grieving Mother condone mind rape... look I'm going stop because I don't want to sour a good experience more. I will say that a lot of the time I couldn't choose what I would have chosen in that situation. I had to do a lot of things I disagreed, which probably affected my impression.

I actually backed it. I felt the original was good but the tipper was the Tyranny coupon. That actually seems like its got meaningful decisions.