The Plight of the Masters

Jadedvet

Jul 1, 2013
There is a road to recovery and it begins at turning off the FPS counter. I did it and so can you.

Haerthan

Mar 16, 2014
Redlin5 said:
I guess I'm just less picky about frame rate than most. I can tolerate pretty abysmal rates. I used to play WoT at 14fps...
Jesus man WoT at 14 FPS? How often did you get blown the fuck up? LoL I might have been one of the dudes blowing you away. Get it? Cause of the blowjob jokes earlier. Lol i shall see myself the door.

ASnogarD

Jul 2, 2009
I never worry about FPS dips, because I can always upgrade my gaming platform to perform better if I need, and as the new consoles are already below PC capabilities its not likely I will need to upgrade much for a while... 10 years ? Until the next consoles ?
(/joke)

To be honest though, I do often consider scrapping my PC for a PS4, this fiddling to get games to work and wondering which driver is causing the fuss is a pain... love to just slap in disk and play, but my PC does too many jobs at the moment (music, dvd/bluray, games, coding, internet, artwork, etc etc.).

TomWest

Sep 16, 2007
Haerthan said:
Redlin5 said:
I guess I'm just less picky about frame rate than most. I can tolerate pretty abysmal rates. I used to play WoT at 14fps...
Jesus man WoT at 14 FPS? How often did you get blown the fuck up?
Heh. The real aces can be mailed a screen shot once a day and *still* blow me up.

Hutzpah Chicken

Mar 13, 2012
That reminds me of the time I had Duke Nukem 3D (supposedly) running at 1500 fps. Problem is, you can't tell the difference between 40 and 1500 with a game from 1996...

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
Spot1990 said:
J Tyran said:
Wait, what? You can actually get paid for pleasuring burly men at truck stops instead of doing it for free?
Yeah but a true artist does it purely for the love of the craft.
Totally not above selling out, standard of living>warm fuzzy feeling of artistic integrity.

Sep 14, 2009
Caramel Frappe said:
The problem with PC games is that you end up getting 'addicted' to the better graphics / mods, that you end up spending WAY more time importing stuff to 'improve' your game then simply playing it. Heck, even though all of my mods in Dark Souls 2 are just retextures, it gets seriously addicting to the point i'm spending a few hours hunting for mods than playing the game.
you are doing pc gaming...very, very right.

hell anytime I fire up a good rpg that has mod-ability (kotor 1 and 2 for example) I'll spend a solid 3-4 hours compiling mods on what I want in the game, which tweak does what, are they compatible with each other, if they'll add extra quests, give the combat more depth, textures, etc.. and to be honest, once I got everything downloaded and installed correctly...it's something of a fun accomplishment when you boot up the game, it's wonderful hearing the beast of a game roar to life that first time and seeing it all run smoothly. There is some odd delight in customizing your game before you even touch it, you get to look at it and say "this is mine".

to this day, this is what gives so many older games insane amounts of replayability to me, the tweaking/modding adds just enough spice to make it worth a playthrough again.

With that said, we PC gamers also face consequences for tempering with the game. Like Skyrim, mess up on a mod or texture and suddenly your game is crashing. Very problematic and I dislike how again, addicting it all is. Sure, I can just play the vanilla game 100% mod free, but .... it's to tempting. Then when it's all filled with mods, you face problems like FPS dropping or new glitches / bugs. Ugh.

Makes me want to just play a console game lol.
oh absolutely, and getting experience helps nullify this feeling (when I first started modding, I didn't have next to any guide to go off of, it was so much trial and error for me and seeing how things worked. Was some extremely frustrated times figuring out why something wasn't working, or if a file didn't download/unzip properly.) for me personally, which is why I haven't had to feel this way in years, but it's definitely something to fear when you first start doing it and don't know where to turn to for proper guidance.

OT: framerate has never been a HUGE deal to me (I don't play multiplayer twitch games where it matters) so making things look pretty and having it be stable at 35 fps is easy enough to accomplish and make me happy. I definitely have some friends though that could fit into this scenario, they get mega peeved if their rigs aren't getting constant 60+ fps for their online games.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Unless the gameplay relies on shadows in some shape or form, I usually just turn them off. I don't think I have actually played a game in a very long time when shadows were required.

coheedswicked

Mar 28, 2010
Maybe I'm an unusual member of the PC Gaming Master Race but I could really care less about framerate. As long as it's running reasonably smooth I much prefer to run at high resolution than 60fps. It's all about graphics quality for me... now excuse me while I go boot up Final Fantasy II on my emulator.

OneCatch

Jun 19, 2010
Tarfeather said:
If my FPS counter were that big I'd be distracted, too.
Gotta keep the FPS counter big - That's why us true gamers have multiple monitor setups. One for the game, one for the FPS counter, and one for the component temperature graphs.
Without all that you'll never have a real gaming experience.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
all that resolution, and all them frames per-second to make a picture that's not really worth looking at to begin with prettier ...

'polish a turn and its still a turd' and all that.

MorphingDragon said:
What kind of scrub doesn't have a screen with a 120HZ refresh rate with GSYNC?
I'm going to assume 'me' since my monitor is from the PC I had before the one I'm using now and it was like 3 years old when I upgraded, 3 years ago at least at this point.

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
Man. I never imagined that Erin was the kind of pleb that doesn't even use a 144hz G-sync monitor.

Seriously, hand in your Master-Race Iron Cross.