The Pokemon Global Link Will Shut Down This October

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
The Pokemon Global Link Will Shut Down This October

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/614/614061.jpg
In preparation for the launch of Pokemon Sun and Moon, the Pokemon Global Link service will come down temporarily.

The Pokemon Global Link, a feature in Pokemon X, Y, Alpha Ruby and Omega Sapphire, will go offline in late October according to the official website [http://www.pokemon-gl.com/oras/close_announcement/en/]. The service will be updated to work with the upcoming Pokemon Sun and Moon, and when it comes back you will not be able to connect with any older games. This means the 6th generation Pokemon games will loose access to some online features permanently.

It's worth noting that two most "useful" features of the PGL - the Global Trade System and Wonder Trade - will still work. The official site [http://www.pokemon-gl.com/oras/close_announcement/en/] has a checklist of what features will be cut, including Game Sync. This feature allows players to share medals and photos online, as well as collect items purchased with Poke Miles, an in-game currency.

To compensate, Nintendo are having a massive sale on Poke Miles. Rare Candy, Heart Scales and other items are 50 percent off from July 26 until the Global Link's discontinuation in October. Online minigames are also half off during this period.

Pokemon Sun and Moon launch November 18 on Nintendo 3DS.

Source: Nintendo [http://www.pokemon-gl.com/oras/close_announcement/en/]

Josh123914

They'll fix it by "Monday"
Nov 17, 2009
So all that stuff nobody outside of Smogon cares about is going to be discontinued in favour of gen 7? Can't say I'm surprised.

Though good call on keeping Wonder Trade operational. A lot of challenges sort of rely on it, and it is a good way to start out filling your pokedex.

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
Title is a bit misleading. Should probably clarify that some, not all features of the Global Link are shutting down. The way it reads now makes it seem that the whole thing is going away.

moggett88

May 2, 2013
soren7550 said:
Title is a bit misleading. Should probably clarify that some, not all features of the Global Link are shutting down. The way it reads now makes it seem that the whole thing is going away.
I borrowed both Omega Ruby and Y months ago but haven't got around to playing either, so I don't know what the article is telling me. Please can you lay it out, in plain English, for someone who stopped playing when the original Ruby was released?

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
moggett88 said:
soren7550 said:
I borrowed both Omega Ruby and Y months ago but haven't got around to playing either, so I don't know what the article is telling me. Please can you lay it out, in plain English, for someone who stopped playing when the original Ruby was released?
The PGL is the online stuff for XY/ORAS. It includes online battling, trading, and etc. What is being shut down is a feature you can only use outside of the game on the computer, which I haven't exactly encountered many people who used it.

At least that's what I gathered.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Well, at least they didn't make the functionality the only means to get certain items (like the berries in the freaking B&W!)

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
soren7550 said:
Probably they should added "for previous Pokemon games" on the title.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
I've been thinking about finally getting a 3DS and, of course, one of the more recent Pok?mon games. So you're saying that even though a couple of functions will go offline for these titles, I'll still be able to access the global Pok?mon trade function as normal?

SD-Fiend

Legacy
Nov 24, 2009
Country
United States
Sonicron said:
I've been thinking about finally getting a 3DS and, of course, one of the more recent Pok?mon games. So you're saying that even though a couple of functions will go offline for these titles, I'll still be able to access the global Pok?mon trade function as normal?
Yes you will be able to trade and battle online normally.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
Semi-DemiFiend said:
Sonicron said:
Thank you for clearing that up. So, whatever they're taking out can't be that essential anyway - the core functionality will remain. Phew! :)

SD-Fiend

Legacy
Nov 24, 2009
Country
United States
Sonicron said:
Semi-DemiFiend said:
Sonicron said:
Thank you for clearing that up. So, whatever they're taking out can't be that essential anyway - the core functionality will remain. Phew! :)
The Global link isn't super important but it's pretty useful since it lets you use an in game currency to buy items that are hard but not impossible to find in the main game.

If you ever decide to get Pokemon sun or Moon you'll be able to use it with those games.

Naldan

You Are Interested. Certainly.
Feb 25, 2015
Roughly 3 years of full support for the oldest titles, for Rubin and Sapphire roughly 2 years. Necessary or not, this is bullshit. If this is so trivial, why is it then applied to Sun and Moon?

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
Just don't forget to retrieve your points from the database before they shut it down. You can still use them to buy things inside your game.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Naldan said:
Roughly 3 years of full support for the oldest titles, for Rubin and Sapphire roughly 2 years. Necessary or not, this is bullshit. If this is so trivial, why is it then applied to Sun and Moon?
Well we don't actually know what's coming for Sun and Moon PGL, they just said they were updating it for it. It could be completely different and relevant.

I am definitely going to take advantage of the sale though, cheap training items, berries, ability capsules and shit ahoy!