The Pokemon Trading Card Game is Coming to iPad

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
The Pokemon Trading Card Game is Coming to iPad

Watch out Hearthstone, Pokemon is right on your heels.

The Pokemon trading card game is a game that many look back on with fond memories, and still has a very active competitive scene today. Perhaps spurred on by Blizzard's digitization efforts with Hearthstone, the Pokemon TCG has slowly been making its way into the digital future. A PC/Mac version of the game has been available for quite some time, and now, an iPad version has hit the Apple store [https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/pokemon-tcg-online/id841098932?mt=8].

Canadian and European gamers can go ahead and download the free app right now, but I'm afraid American users will have to wait until tomorrow. Cards and decks will transfer between the iPad and PC/Mac versions of the games, so you won't have to build your whole deck up again before battling it out on your tablet.

"The iPad version of the Pokemon TCG Online makes it even easier for fans to pick up the game and begin playing immediately," The Pokemon Company director of consumer marketing J.C. Smith said. "We want to provide players with various access points to play and enjoy the Pokemon TCG, whether it's the traditional tabletop game, PC and Mac version, or the iPad and iPad Mini app."

While it app itself is free, trainers must shell out some cash to get themselves "gems," a currency that can be used to purchase booster packs for the game. Of course, purchasing real-world Pokemon cards will net you a code which you can be used to redeem additional cards in the online game.

Source: The Pokemon Company [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pIZkVjakcQ]

[http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tabletop/]

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
While it app itself is free, trainers must shell out some cash to get themselves "gems," a currency that can be used to purchase booster packs for the game
Aannnndd *clunk. The reason why Hearthstone is so popular is because of its f2p model more than anything else.

Story

Note to self: Prooof reed posts
Sep 4, 2013
I was interested but then...
antipunt said:
While it app itself is free, trainers must shell out some cash to get themselves "gems," a currency that can be used to purchase booster packs for the game
Aannnndd *clunk. The reason why Hearthstone is so popular is because of its f2p model more than anything else.
Yeah, talk about your turn offs.
I might give it a try anyway, if the single player is good.

Rozalia1

Mar 1, 2014
Interesting...nothing beats playing a card game in RL, but video game card games are good too.

antipunt said:
I glanced through the video quickly and saw "earn more cards by playing matches"...how would that be any different than Hearthstone?
It could be the game will be less "generous" but lets be honest here. Nobody knows regarding that fact.

Chaos James

Bastion of Debauchery
May 27, 2011
antipunt said:
Story said:
I was interested but then...

Yeah, talk about your turn offs.
I might give it a try anyway, if the single player is good.
Assuming this runs in a similar way to the online TCG for PC, which I assume due to:
Cards and decks will transfer between the iPad and PC/Mac versions of the games, so you won't have to build your whole deck up again before battling it out on your tablet.
Which likely means that the same ways of earning cards is available.

Yes, you can purchase Gems to buy cards in-game, or you can earn in-game coins by battling, and you can trade cards with other players online via a market, all for free. Most Log-In Bonuses give you coins, so in a few weeks you amass a fair amount to buy Boosters or if you hold out Themed Decks. On top of that, the 5th Day of straight Log-Ins usually gifts you a free Booster Pack.

Additionally, and probably the BEST feature of the online TCG is:
Of course, purchasing real-world Pokemon cards will net you a code which you can be used to redeem additional cards in the online game.
This ranges from a code inside each 10-card Booster Pack to unlock the same named Booster Pack (different cards though, likely), or Structure Decks that come with a code specifically to unlock that deck online. The value is quite nice for this card game, and I *really* appreciate being able to collect physical cards while also growing my online collection.

So overall, it's a solid F2P title that really doesn't force you to make purchases unless you want to, and gives you more options to collection cards then Hearthstone (which also allows you to buy Booster Packs with either in-game Gold or real Money), and I think both titles will be super fun for people to play on the go.

PMAvers

May 27, 2009
The Pokemon trading card game is a game that many look back on with fond memories, and still has a very active competitive scene today. Perhaps spurred on by Blizzard's digitization efforts with Hearthstone, the Pokemon TCG has slowly been making its way into the digital future. A PC/Mac version of the game has been available for quite some time, and now, an iPad version has hit the Apple store [https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/pokemon-tcg-online/id841098932?mt=8].
That link goes to some sort of Pokemon TV app. At least for me.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
I live in Canada, I already played it and I have to say: God damn it! This isn't bathroom entertainment!

It requires an Internet connection and there isn't any progress while you aren't playing (unlike mobile games like Animal Farm). In single player mode (challenges), there is no restriction on time, number of tries, nor some of the other pesky "features" common in mobile games.

In other words, it's the same game than the PC version (but in the iPad).

popa_qwerty

Dec 21, 2010
This is the first time I ever thought to my self Dang I wish I had an Ipad. Hope It comes out for android.

Brian Tams

Sep 3, 2012
I wonder how many misinformed people we're going to get in this thread that'll say things like "zomg, Nintendo is going into tablet/smartphone market??????"

Anyways, I don't care since I'd rather play on my computer. I've been taking a break ever since FuF became legal, since Seismatoad EX is fucking everywhere, and he shuts down my deck.

I also hope this finally means TPC is going to stop dicking around and gets the tournament page up and running like they promised a fucking millenia ago.

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
PMAvers said:
Yes and its September 30th and the game is not released on the Ipad for us. I wish that they would update the information to state that the game isn't out for US users on the stated date. Gets me excited then wont let me play.

PMAvers

May 27, 2009
GAunderrated said:
PMAvers said:
Yes and its September 30th and the game is not released on the Ipad for us. I wish that they would update the information to state that the game isn't out for US users on the stated date. Gets me excited then wont let me play.
Actually, it's there now.