The Power Jacket MK3 Is a Real-Life Aliens Power Loader

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
The Power Jacket MK3 Is a Real-Life Aliens Power Loader

The Power Jacket MK3 makes you harder, better, faster, stronger, and is yours for just $125,000 US.

I'm not going to lie, every kid that ever saw Aliens or played MechWarrior dreamed of one day owning their very own mech suit. Now, Japanese electronics manufacturer Sagawa Electronics has given us the chance to make that dream come true, with the Power Jacket MK3 - a real-life Aliens power loader. In a half hilarious, half serious, all awesome video promoting the suit, "Scarface Santaro" explains that the suit will let you run at faster speeds, lift heavy objects, and eat Cheetos without getting orange powder all over your fingers.

It's all yours if you can scrape up $125,000 before the extremely limited supply runs out (there are only five suits out for grabs). The suit is only 2.25 meters tall, and weighs just 25 kilograms, so you probably won't be crushing any houses under your iron boots, but Santaro, who's horrific scars arose apparently due to an earlier tumble with the suit, assures us that it will actually make you cuter just by riding inside.

Other uses for the suit include making egg on rice, preparing fish in the kitchen, and "running like a ninja." The mech is also the perfect set piece for preparing for a war, parting with your boyfriend, and other climactic life scenes.

It is hard to tell if this is a joke or for reals. Santaro's deadpan Japanese technical explanation of the device seems pretty solid and realistic at the start of the video, but as it goes on things start to get more and more bizarre. It's definitely worth watching the video the whole way through.

Source: Rocket News 24 [http://en.rocketnews24.com/2013/07/11/us125000-power-suit-lets-you-battle-kaiju-snack-without-getting-cheeto-fingers/]

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Is that the dodge ball mech from Dexter's Lab?!

Do want.

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
I think they're just trying to ride Del Toro's coat-tails to be honest. Those Japanese copy-cats.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
I fucking love that they stuck a school girl in there - miniskirt and all - to demonstrate the power jacket.

Ace Morologist

Apr 25, 2013
Okay, obvious shenanigans on display.

That said, AWESOME. I long for the day when powered suits are what we take to work instead of cars. Hell, you could park them right in your cubicle to recharge for the jog home. And by dialing the resistance up, you could keep in shape just by commuting.

I want to live in a robot nation.

--Morology!

Piorn

Dec 26, 2007
Love the way it makes the average high-school girl look much cuter!
But I don't think we should trust Scarface with constructing military exoscelletons, I don't know, seems like a bad idea.

Bigeyez

Apr 26, 2009
It seems pretty obvious to me that this is some sort of joke or something along those lines...Like others have said the company here is from an anime. Not to mention that the narrator is in gory makeup and the thing itself looks really fake and like a set prop.

A-D.

Jan 23, 2008
Its essentially a advertisement for Ghost in the Shell, there are several hints in the spot itself, like Sagawa Electronics Inc, Ministry of Economy and Ministry of International Trade and Industry, as well as references to the 70s and 80s as well as the "bubble economy".

Basicly everything in that Ad is a reference to story elements from Ghost in the Shell.

Stormtyrant

Nov 5, 2011
Steven Bogos said:
who's horrific scars arose apparently...
Putting my grammar Nazi hat on, that should be "whose" not "who is."

This looks pretty cool, but honestly I think it'll take a long time before true mechs become widespread.

That all said, I for one welcome our new metal overlords.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
That thing looks pretty flimsy for something called a 'power jacket'. I want something with a grip that can crush the skulls on my enemies and trample on their lamenting womenfolk. That looks like it would snap in a light breeze!

But if it's just an advertising stunt for GitS I guess my seething consumer rage can ignore that. I'm guessing that one of these is going to show up in the new Ghost in the Shell then?

scw55

Nov 18, 2009
I think the commercial was shot with humour in mind. Because I doubt that paedophillia is legal in Japan.
That's ignoring the fact that the spokesperson was heavily scarred.

mdqp

Oct 21, 2011
I want that man in every commercial from now on. That's the kind of delivery that could make me start watch advertising again! XD

Apr 5, 2008
There's no way that is serious. No one sells a limited run of the worlds first powersuits with that commercial. It's deadpan humour. Japanese school girl modelling it? House wives preparing fish? The new wounds that kept appearing (are those scars real?). Funny in an "only in Japan" sorta way.