The Power of Flight

Wes Fenlon

Jul 26, 2012
The Power of Flight

You don't always need words to convey a story.

Read Full Article

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
That is an interesting comparison. The only thing I wish Journey would let us do would be play with our friends who have the game. Most of the random people I played with were fun, but it would be nice to play with someone I know.

-Drifter-

Jun 9, 2009
Imp Emissary said:
That is an interesting comparison. The only thing I wish Journey would let us do would be play with our friends who have the game. Most of the random people I played with were fun, but it would be nice to play with someone I know.
Someone could probably make a convincing argument that that would betray the point or something, but... yeah, I kinda wish you could play with friends too.

Elf Defiler Korgan

Apr 15, 2009
I'm not really interested in this game, but I've heard good things. Also I've got great joy from the random teaming up with people I don't know in Dark Souls.

It is good the game is a calm one though, because when teaming up with randoms rushing is oh so common. Wonder if I will solo it or team when I finally play?

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
Wes Fenlon said:
The Power of Flight

You don't always need words to convey a story.

Read Full Article
What I love about some of the best flight-oriented games is that they strip away most of the other tools usually at your disposal. Flight becomes your primary means of interacting with (or escaping from) the world.

As humans, we're not inspired by options. We're not inspired by freedom. We're inspired by adversity and limitation. Take away the familiar and comfortable, and we're forced to find new paths or use old things in new ways.

(Maybe that's why some of the biggest-budget games feel a bit shallow these days. When you have the technology to do anything you want, you usually end up doing the same stuff you've always done...)

Starik20X6

Oct 28, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
Something tells me you would really enjoy The Triplets of Belleville.
Wait, I'm not the only person who's seen that?

Still on the fence about picking up Journey, only because I heard there was a collectors edition coming soon, but that it's not being released in Australia, so do I wait and get a copy online or just buy the game form the PSN...?

burymagnets

Nov 30, 2010
I really don't understand why more games don't have unlimited flight. I guess it's largely unexplored territory but the mechanic in itself is instantly compelling to me.

Which is why I found myself really enjoying the Iron Man movie tie-in a while back. It had the worst graphics, voice acting and mission structure I'd seen on the xbox... but you could fly, as much as you wanted, really fast.

It was the shit. :D

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Starik20X6 said:
DVS BSTrD said:
Wait, I'm not the only person who's seen that?

Still on the fence about picking up Journey, only because I heard there was a collectors edition coming soon, but that it's not being released in Australia, so do I wait and get a copy online or just buy the game form the PSN...?
Just grab it on PSN. It's a true joy.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
-Drifter- said:
Imp Emissary said:
Someone could probably make a convincing argument that that would betray the point or something, but... yeah, I kinda wish you could play with friends too.
Yeah, I would agree with that. If that was the only way you could play. After all, one part of the game that makes it great (and replayable) is that you play with someone new every time you start the game. However, if playing with people on your friends list was just another option like single player I don't think it would be that different. You still couldn't communicate normally, and all the gameplay would be the same. It's just that instead of randomly finding another traveler along the way you would be meeting up with your friend who is also making the journey.

So while it would be different I don't think it wouldn't necessarily be unrecognizable from the normal co-op.

roushutsu

Mar 14, 2012
I absolutely adore NiGHTS and really enjoyed Journey. Honestly, I never made that flight connection, but thinking on it now, I guess it makes sense why I liked Journey as much as I did.

Wes Fenlon

Jul 26, 2012
DVS BSTrD said:
I've only seen it once, but I absolutely did love it. Anything that can tell a story that you remember and care about (without words) is something special.

i am not god

Dec 6, 2007
I remember the first time I found someone online in Journey, was with them for two hours and when I eventually had to leave it was acually painful and was heartbroken over it for weeks. A truly amazing game.

Divinegon

Dec 12, 2007
roushutsu said:
I absolutely adore NiGHTS and really enjoyed Journey. Honestly, I never made that flight connection, but thinking on it now, I guess it makes sense why I liked Journey as much as I did.
I didn't too when I played this game as an 8 year old for mainly 2 reason:

A - I was too young too understand the plot without it telling me what it was.
B - It was hard for me to reach the final stage due to the scoring system.

Which makes me wonder: To whom do you people think Nights was marketed too? People in the age bracket of the main characters who Sega wanted to say to trust and follow their dreams or us 20+ year olds who generally feel more "realistic" (And I say that broadly) about their lives?

I think Sonic & Knuckles 3 conveyed the story better without words than Nights. It didn't have any deep meaning behind it but as a kid it was much easier to understand and get into. I always remember the showdown between I Sonic and Knuckles as a main plot point simply because of this:

The background painting served as a huge hint about Knuckles' background: He was all alone in this island, he grew up constantly seeing that depiction but not fully understanding what it meant. One day a scientist wielding mechanical gadgets and robots (Just like in the painting) comes up and explains a hedgehog is going to steal the Master Emerald and crash his island. It made everything make sense for him, Robotnik was a protector of the cause and Sonic was the invader attempting to destroy the island's main source of power.

In Nights I didn't have much of an idea of what was going on. I realized it was all a dream but the purpose of the orbs, why they were needed, why Nights wanted to help and what was he/she along with the difficulty to access the final level made me not get it ultimately meant at the time. Once I was old enough for my skills to best it, I think it lost a lot of its punch.

As for the article itself: It's a good read but it seemed to not know what it wanted to talk about. It uses flight to explain mechanics as a plot exposing mechanic but seems to forget that over the broad idea instead of that detail so in the end it made me think "So why is flight so important to the plot in Journey or Nights?". The comments approached that more than the article itself.