The Presidents of the United States of America Rock the New PokeRap

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
The Presidents of the United States of America Rock the New PokeRap

There's a new "PokeRap" for Pokemon Black and White, and it's being performed by Grammy-nominated band: the Presidents of the United States of America.

I've never been a big fan of the Presidents of the United States of America. Oh sure, they made some pretty catchy tunes back in the day (you are now realizing that "Lump" was released in 1995, and feeling super old) and they always had a pretty cool image; I've got nothing against that. But man, they just have the most awkward name to work into a headline, let alone say in a conversation. Yeah, you could just say "Pot USA" or "The Presidents," but that feels like a cop-out.

Whatever you want to call them, they were in New York City on Saturday to play at Nintendo's official Pokemon Black & White launch event, where Poke-fans of all ages could pick the game up a day before its scheduled North American launch. It was there that they debuted their new Pokemon-themed song, "Can't Stop Catchin' 'em All."

Essentially this is the new "PokeRap" for the series' Generation V games, only in this case it's less rap and more alternative rock. Whatever it is, it's pretty catchy - though listening to the lyrics, it's clear that at a few points they just phoned it in. You couldn't think of anything to say about Galvantula [http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Galvantula_(Pok%C3%A9mon)] other than "electric bug," guys? Really?

Anyway, you can listen to it here to the right. Or, if you're feeling nostalgic, how about listening to Weird Al Yankovic's "original Pokerap [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZCZ7M_lifM]? If you watched the show and can't recite that final verse from memory (at the very least), I judge you.

(Via Wired [http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2011/03/pokemon-launch-party-2/])

beema

Aug 19, 2009
I had absolutely no idea that band still existed!
That has to be the most random thing I've heard in a while.

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
Man when was the last time I heard from The Presidents Of The United States of America?
...been a while...<.<

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
It would of been better if they had posted the Pokemon images at the lyrics since I haven't memories the new names yet. The song itself is very refreshing since it's not as kiddie as the original Pokerap, I approve!!

Carlston

Apr 8, 2008
God sake don't say it that way.

They are called POT USA.

Just POT USA...a blatant stoner reference to excuse horrible song writing "lump" but got them loved by all the legalize it crowd.

How they every made one song let alone several with their idiotic babble...god just don't encourage them. Just like Beiber...say no to tard rock.

voetballeeuw

May 3, 2010
Lol. That was interesting, didn't think they would be involved with Pokemon though. Are these the same guys that sang "Peaches?"

AlphaAnt

Apr 1, 2010
Holy shit, Pot USA is still playing? I thought they broke up after the George of the Jungle movie soundtrack...

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
This has NOTHING on the classic!

I dare you to name them all without needing the song.

mireko

Umbasa
Sep 23, 2010
I was thinking of something like this:
Only, you know, with pokemon rap.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
When i read the title, i thought George Bush And Obama had a collaboration...

I am Disappointed :(

Still awesome tho

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
scifidownbeat said:
Um...

...did anyone else expect to hear Carter, Clinton, Bush and Obama sing the Pokerap?

Cause apparently "POT USA" is a band and I am stupid.
Nope, not the only one my friend...

Not-here-anymore

In brightest day...
Nov 18, 2009
Jumplion said:
This has NOTHING on the classic!

I dare you to name them all without needing the song.
Easy. There's a quiz on sporcle. Also one of the lyrics to the original theme tune. Both can be done with no problem.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
voetballeeuw said:
Lol. That was interesting, didn't think they would be involved with Pokemon though. Are these the same guys that sang "Peaches?"
Yes, which was an infinitely better song than "Lump." In fact, I'd go so far as to say Lump was bad.

Anyway, as for this PokeRap... They might not be able to stop catching' 'em all, but I can sure as hell stop listening to that song. Although, put any PokeRap in front of me and I'll probably say the same thing. Just rattling off the names of Pokémon with a super cheesy tune in the background isn't music to my ears.

scifidownbeat said:
HankMan said:
scifidownbeat said:
Um...

...did anyone else expect to hear Carter, Clinton, Bush and Obama sing the Pokerap?

Cause apparently "POT USA" is a band and I am stupid.
Obama used Healthcare Reform
It was ineffective!
I'm going to try to ignore the fact that your joke blames Obama for ineffectual health care when in fact it was the incessant bickering between Republicans and Democrats that watered down the original health care bill proposed by the Obama administration...
Glenn Beck used Vicious Rant!
It lowered accuracy and Defense, but sharply raised Attack!
Jon Stewart used Reason!
It was ineffective...