The Principalities of Mons Caelos - Status: Future Uncertain

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
This looks interesting, here's my sheet

Name: Devan Chalette

Appearance:Devan often cuts a contrasting figure, either by his style of dress or his manners of speech. He often dresses in pheasant clothing as both a disguise inside the city walls, and to throw nobles off their game. When not in plain clothes, he wears simple silver bands on all ten fingers, a deep red cloak, and black velvet clothing. He wears his bright blonde hair short, rarely reaching farther than the lobes of his ears, and normally keeps his facial hair scraggly. He also wears an eyepatch over his left eye to keep up his illusion of being weaker than he actually is, when in noble clothing that is. When not wearing his eyepatch he has a scar over his left eye, though it doesn't diminish his eyesight

Position:Castellian

Background:Devan was born into his family, known as being ruthless merchants. He sustained a minor injury to his left eye from a splintered floorboard in his home, leaving a scar that looks much worse than it actually is. His father, Tam, died from poisoning when he was 15, leaving him in charge of the family holdings, and excelled in the managing of the most important port in the country, he owns large parts of every major trading house, auctioneer, and merchant company that sets up shop in Dalien, the largest port city settled between the Golden Edge and the Treefell Range.

He has three younger sisters and two younger brothers, being the eldest he took care of them until they found their way in life. He keeps his siblings that stayed in Dalien close to him, his oldest sister, Elayne, 29, is married to a successful merchant and has two small children, though she spends a substantial amount of time at the keep overlooking the bay and docks, either balancing the books or visiting his other brother, Tam,31. Tam is his closest confidante, and serves as his steward and conscience. The family crest is a ship on a blue backdrop with white winds pushing it into sea.

Personality: Devan is a likeable guy,and rarely is consciously rude unless he means to, he is able to manipulate the people around him into doing what he wants, either through blackmail or pulling strings behind the scenes. He has high aspirations, and sees the secession of the counties to Sul'giet and Ancier as one of the worst threats to trade in history. He hopes to expand his holdings into every merchant house in Mons Caelos and beyond the borders of his homeland. Being crowned King seemed to be the most expedient way to do it.

Describe your domain: Dalien is an expansive city, stretching from the bay it overlooks to inland nearly five miles. Stone walls surround it and cannons(catapults and ballistae if they haven't been invented yet, tech level isn't laid out so I'm guessing), the city guard is well-equipped, though somewhat corrupt, and he wouldn't have another way, as it keeps the guard on their toes since he personally oversees any accusations of corruption and the consequences of guilt are the acquisition of all family assets to the city, exile from Dalien, and the loss of one's right hand as a mark of shame and making working all that much harder.

Number 1
http://www.google.com/imgres?q=port+cities&um=1&hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&sa=N&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&biw=1366&bih=667&tbm=isch&tbnid=M4eJLaQMGGgHzM:&imgrefurl=http://www.fortogden.com/MEDCRUISE2000.html&docid=m0dWMKbXvv3UXM&imgurl=http://www.fortogden.com/mal-277-harbor.jpg&w=390&h=292&ei=uyxYT_v7OOmtsAKm5vy7DQ&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=654&vpy=155&dur=862&hovh=194&hovw=260&tx=97&ty=111&sig=113792049312253581560&page=1&tbnh=145&tbnw=216&start=0&ndsp=16&ved=1t:429,r:2,s:0
Number 2
http://www.google.com/imgres?q=ancient+towers&um=1&hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&biw=1366&bih=667&tbm=isch&tbnid=5H2syshUgoMDYM:&imgrefurl=http://european-history.factoidz.com/the-walled-city-of-carcassonne-in-languedoc-france/&docid=EWEJP6XbVTzpuM&imgurl=http://inlinethumb17.webshots.com/45904/1499058695080715961S600x600Q85.jpg&w=600&h=450&ei=RS1YT5_fAYeQsQKvm6HgDQ&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=506&vpy=202&dur=2178&hovh=194&hovw=259&tx=85&ty=113&sig=113792049312253581560&page=1&tbnh=136&tbnw=185&start=0&ndsp=22&ved=1t:429,r:11,s:0
Number 3
http://www.google.com/imgres?q=ancient+towers&start=242&um=1&hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&biw=1366&bih=667&tbm=isch&tbnid=b8_98pRygxaEWM:&imgrefurl=http://www.mygrouptour.com/Tour.aspx%3FPackage%3DHalloween-at-Warwick-Castle&docid=2hV5heSAAm1EfM&imgurl=http://www.discovertravelandtours.com/v3/5/WarwickcastleHres.jpg&w=1486&h=968&ei=qC1YT4XdCYPksQLh4uy6DQ&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=179&vpy=6&dur=1117&hovh=181&hovw=278&tx=136&ty=126&sig=113792049312253581560&page=11&tbnh=146&tbnw=195&ndsp=24&ved=1t:429,r:6,s:242

Sorry, but I can never seem to get the img command to work, these are just to give an idea of Dalien

Just let me know if you need anything else, yes, I took the hard road.

Grim327

Jul 21, 2011
I have another question to throw at you: On your map, I did not see a scale or reference to size, What's the scale, 1in. = 10 miles or something similar?

Doc Gnosis

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2010
Country
United States
Redryhno said:

Name: Devan Chalette

Appearance:Devan often cuts a contrasting figure, either by his style of dress or his manners of speech. He often dresses in pheasant clothing as both a disguise inside the city walls, and to throw nobles off their game. When not in plain clothes, he wears simple silver bands on all ten fingers, a deep red cloak, and black velvet clothing. He wears his bright blonde hair short, rarely reaching farther than the lobes of his ears, and normally keeps his facial hair scraggly. He also wears an eyepatch over his left eye to keep up his illusion of being weaker than he actually is, when in noble clothing that is. When not wearing his eyepatch he has a scar over his left eye, though it doesn't diminish his eyesight

Position:Castellian

Background:Devan was born into his family, known as being ruthless merchants. He sustained a minor injury to his left eye from a splintered floorboard in his home, leaving a scar that looks much worse than it actually is. His father, Tam, died from poisoning when he was 15, leaving him in charge of the family holdings, and excelled in the managing of the most important port in the country, he owns large parts of every major trading house, auctioneer, and merchant company that sets up shop in Dalien, the largest port city settled between the Golden Edge and the Treefell Range.

He has three younger sisters and two younger brothers, being the eldest he took care of them until they found their way in life. He keeps his siblings that stayed in Dalien close to him, his oldest sister, Elayne, 29, is married to a successful merchant and has two small children, though she spends a substantial amount of time at the keep overlooking the bay and docks, either balancing the books or visiting his other brother, Tam,31. Tam is his closest confidante, and serves as his steward and conscience. The family crest is a ship on a blue backdrop with white winds pushing it into sea.

Personality: Devan is a likeable guy,and rarely is consciously rude unless he means to, he is able to manipulate the people around him into doing what he wants, either through blackmail or pulling strings behind the scenes. He has high aspirations, and sees the secession of the counties to Sul'giet and Ancier as one of the worst threats to trade in history. He hopes to expand his holdings into every merchant house in Mons Caelos and beyond the borders of his homeland. Being crowned King seemed to be the most expedient way to do it.

Describe your domain: Dalien is an expansive city, stretching from the bay it overlooks to inland nearly five miles. Stone walls surround it and cannons(catapults and ballistae if they haven't been invented yet, tech level isn't laid out so I'm guessing), the city guard is well-equipped, though somewhat corrupt, and he wouldn't have another way, as it keeps the guard on their toes since he personally oversees any accusations of corruption and the consequences of guilt are the acquisition of all family assets to the city, exile from Dalien, and the loss of one's right hand as a mark of shame and making working all that much harder.

Number 1
http://www.google.com/imgres?q=port+cities&um=1&hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&sa=N&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&biw=1366&bih=667&tbm=isch&tbnid=M4eJLaQMGGgHzM:&imgrefurl=http://www.fortogden.com/MEDCRUISE2000.html&docid=m0dWMKbXvv3UXM&imgurl=http://www.fortogden.com/mal-277-harbor.jpg&w=390&h=292&ei=uyxYT_v7OOmtsAKm5vy7DQ&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=654&vpy=155&dur=862&hovh=194&hovw=260&tx=97&ty=111&sig=113792049312253581560&page=1&tbnh=145&tbnw=216&start=0&ndsp=16&ved=1t:429,r:2,s:0
Number 2
http://www.google.com/imgres?q=ancient+towers&um=1&hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&biw=1366&bih=667&tbm=isch&tbnid=5H2syshUgoMDYM:&imgrefurl=http://european-history.factoidz.com/the-walled-city-of-carcassonne-in-languedoc-france/&docid=EWEJP6XbVTzpuM&imgurl=http://inlinethumb17.webshots.com/45904/1499058695080715961S600x600Q85.jpg&w=600&h=450&ei=RS1YT5_fAYeQsQKvm6HgDQ&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=506&vpy=202&dur=2178&hovh=194&hovw=259&tx=85&ty=113&sig=113792049312253581560&page=1&tbnh=136&tbnw=185&start=0&ndsp=22&ved=1t:429,r:11,s:0
Number 3
http://www.google.com/imgres?q=ancient+towers&start=242&um=1&hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&biw=1366&bih=667&tbm=isch&tbnid=b8_98pRygxaEWM:&imgrefurl=http://www.mygrouptour.com/Tour.aspx%3FPackage%3DHalloween-at-Warwick-Castle&docid=2hV5heSAAm1EfM&imgurl=http://www.discovertravelandtours.com/v3/5/WarwickcastleHres.jpg&w=1486&h=968&ei=qC1YT4XdCYPksQLh4uy6DQ&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=179&vpy=6&dur=1117&hovh=181&hovw=278&tx=136&ty=126&sig=113792049312253581560&page=11&tbnh=146&tbnw=195&ndsp=24&ved=1t:429,r:6,s:242

Sorry, but I can never seem to get the img command to work, these are just to give an idea of Dalien

Just let me know if you need anything else, yes, I took the hard road.
We're in medieval times, and Mons Caelos has yet to discover gunpowder, let alone put it to use. Anyway, your domain checks out and your backstory checks out, but I feel your character seems a mite uncanny. I can see the potential your character has - especially from the concept of being brought up by a mercantile family - but you may want to expand on him a bit more; perhaps let us in on how he was brought up or changed by his family; whether he's trying to balance a large number of ideologies or familial loyalties, etc.

Grim327 said:
I have another question to throw at you: On your map, I did not see a scale or reference to size, What's the scale, 1in. = 10 miles or something similar?
About 1 inch = 12 miles.

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
Doc Gnosis said:
Redryhno said:
I'm mostly just going to play it up being trade is everything. That's mostly his values, besides the value of family, that is. His ideology revolves around what is best for his city to continue being prosperous without seceding or any other drastic measures.

InkBlot Royalist

Sep 13, 2011
Greetings! I see the position of religious zealot is taken, so would this be an acceptable character:
Name: Solomon Harbringer

Position: Prince

Appearance: Solomon is a visually unimposing man, with salt and pepper hair, green eyes and standing 5ft9" tall. He is not particularly muscular, but not overweaight either. He has no distinguishing features save for the permanent shine of contempt he carries in his eyes.

Personality: Solomon is incredibly intelligent, but at the price of most of his social skills. He sees people and the world in general as so many numbers and cogs. He is only really interested in talking to people who are intelligent, interesting or unpredictable, and even then, only because they amuse him. It is not unheard of for him to simply turn away from visitors or interupt ambassadors mid-speach and bigin an entirely new conversation with someone more...intricate.

Background: Solomon is the middle child of the Harbringer line. He was never really expected to do much, his older brother was to inherit the estate and his younger brother worked tirelessly in the army to prove his worth worth. Solomon, meanwhile, sat at home in the family castle and drew. And wrote, and planned. His brilliant mathmatical mind set him up as a perfect banker for the family, amassing them a huge amount of wealth with foreign investments and cunning brokering deals. Solomon's real love in life, however, was that of science and inventing. To him, nothing is more important than improving. Everything can be changed for the better to be stronger, faster, more efficient and BETTER.
When his older brother died of flu and his younger was killed on campaign, Solomon saw his new position of authority as a bit of an inconveniance. On the plus side, however, he had access to the collosal fortune he had helped amass, and near unlimited resources he could commit to his studies and experiments.

Describe your domain: Ruric's wall.
Located in the North-west border of Mons Caelos, Ruric's wall is a snowy, frozen land. The Harbringer family settled there long ago, fighting for a foothold in the frozen vallies and towering cliffs against the Northern tribes that lived there. After an initial, bloody campaign, Solomon's great-great-great grandfather secured a large section of the border, and made peace with the tribes.
Now, the Harbringer terretories dominate a large portion of the North Western mountains, but also extend slightly into the more open southern areas, providing farming opportunities in the spring when the ground thaws out enough for basic agriculture. The people have learned to make the most of this, growing crops during the sunny months and stockpiling everything they can, but the Harbringer lands must rely on vast imports of fruit, grain and vegetables to sustain the castles and larger towns.
Such an inhospitable land would have been abandoned long ago were it not for two crucial factors that had persuaded the Harbringer line to cling to its frozen peaks:
1) The mountains were rich in mining opportunities. Steel and coal are the cheif exports from these lands, but precious stones are not unheard of either. These exports provide a staple for the Harbringers, aswell as various banking ventures they have made in mainland cities.
2) Only a fool would attempt to attack the lands in winter, or even mid-autumn. The dire snowstorms and blizzards of the numerous mountain passes would make a campaign impossible to sustain, as troops would freeze to death outside the city walls during seiges. Winter is the main guard in the Harbringer lands, and as such, Solomon has little need for a large, active army during these periods. Instead, he relies on elite mercenaries, and pays off the various local highland tribes to monitor the smaller passes, killing all intruders.
He has no real permanant army, his brother having lost it in a catastrophic, power-hungry campaign that will remain a taboo for many generations to come. During the summer months when the main pathes are more or less accessable, He relies again on large, mercenary forces to patrol them. Solomon has also invested in the varrios bandits that prey the outlying villiages of the Harbringer land, paying them to attack, or not attack certain convoys. This is just a rumour however, but it is common knowledge that those visitors who claim they are bringing a tribute to Solomon seem to reach their destinations more frequently than others...

There we go! Acceptable?

Doc Gnosis

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2010
Country
United States
Redryhno said:
Again, I see the potential in your character but it feels like certain details may not have been thought through. Considering that his family is ruthless in terms of trade and Devan being brought up around trade being everything, I can't help but wonder if the man's a mercantile apologist. And the more ideals you're sticking to him, the more it seems like the man is under a lot of stress.

But I don't know your character as well as you do. I'll accept it, but I hope your writing as Devan does more justice than the character sheet.

Khedive Rex

Jun 1, 2008
My character. There's probably a couple things that will still need to be worked out. I might provide a separate sheet for Lord Pacton Thorne individually, and despite saying most people don't know him by his face, I'll want to work out who in the RP would be aware that Algier isn't who he says he is. I await the consideration of the GM's.

Name: Algier (the Veritable Lord Pacton Thorne in company)

Appearance: Algier is 6'1 with a strong build. He is not vastly muscular but looks as though he spent his whole life with little food, little sleep, perpetually on his feet. He wears the expensive clothing of Lord Pacton, but often looks uncomfortable in it. He has blue eyes and a light skin tone that could be mistaken for a Mons Caelos scribner before being recognized for a Golden Edge native. He has many scars on his back from a youth of whippings (how they train the slaves to respect the masters), but none on his face or anywhere quickly visible. His eyes are blue and he keeps his face clean shaven according to the master's orders. In company his demeanor is very much that of a wall trying not to impose. He is large, fairly handsome and recently well dressed but always quiet and concerned to be in other people's way.

Background: Algier was borne into slavery and has lived his entire life the servant to men greater than himself. He doesn't lament or resent his role, its the only role he's ever known. In his youth he worked for a Castellian in the southern Principalities as a castle servant, cleaning and maintaining the estate of Gervais Hawke. Gervais appreciated his lighter skin tone (uncharacteristic of Golden Edge slaves), docile demeanor and hardworking additude, and bred him with other slaves to produce desirable offspring. When he was in his twenties he was bred with a slave named Millie, who Algier developed a strong depth of feeling for. Gervais Hawke would later be deposed and his minor castle and belongings sieged by the Prince of the region Lord Pacton Thorne. When Pacton conquered the estate Millie and her unborn child were sent away as undesirable slaves. Algier was kept by Lord Pacton who also appreciated his breeding potential.

For almost twenty years afterward Algier labored as the personal castle servant of Lord Pacton Thorne, a Prince of terrifying influence and authority. The Veritable Lord Pacton Thorne is known by a very few select elites as Mons Caelos's resident "dark trades" resource. Thorne operates a gigantic network of spies, informants, slave rings, thief's guilds and assassins that make him among the most powerful of the Mons Caelos underworld. This is mostly unbeknownst to the common man, who view him simply as a politician of great clout and authority, coming from a long lineage of leaders who've been close to the king or central to the Mons Caelos political atmosphere. With the power of the vested king falling rapidly and the country on the brink of chaos, there are few in the know who have not considered Lord Pacton a force to be reckoned with on the fight to the thrown. However, because of recent changes to the Pacton Estate, Lord Thorne will be seriously curtailed in his assent to power...

Lord Pacton Thorne is an almost mythical figure. This is because few people have ever actually seen him. Pacton, a paranoid man by nature and even more so by necessity, rarely leaves his estate except for desperate or highly important events. He operates his dark trades network mostly from his home where he sends out encoded messages to, calls in favors from and keeps tabs on half of Mons Caelos. His only two regular contacts are Algier, his man servant, and Crismas his letter carrier. Thorne has kept this coterie for many years now. It came as quite a surprise to him when it all came crashing down.

Its was a warm night in the south when word reached Pacton that the power of the sitting king had reached an all-time low. And it was on a warm night that Crismas overpowered Lord Pacton Thorne and locked him in Algier's slave quarters. And even though it was warm that night, Algier still shivered as Crismas declared he was an Ancier spy sent to keep tabs on Pacton's activities, and he has plans for Algier. The Ancier government had concerns about attempting to seize power while Pacton still operated. But they also wanted Pacton's network preserved so that, after Ancier had thoroughly overtaken Mons Caelos, it could be put to their own purposes. They needed someone inexperienced, who wouldn't be able to use the network against them, to maintain it while the chaos of war spread. So it was that Algier was surreptitiously placed at the head of Mons Caelos's largest dark trades network, and the man who constructed it, held against his will in the inescapable slave quarter's he had designed personally.

Crismas left that night, but not before showing Algier the vast libraries of codes, personal agenda's, favors, dark secrets, methods of contact and the accumulated list of ongoing activities that Pacton had stored in his room. Crismas made especially sure to highlight one of the books in particular. A list of Pacton's slave related business. After Millie was sold, she gave birth to a daughter who was purchased by nobility in the Capital. Pacton made a commission on the sale. Millie is recorded as later dying of pnemonia. There is no further mention of the daughter. It was twenty years ago and the paper trail is minuscule at best.

Crismas is gone now. Algier finds himself sleeping on the floor of his master's quarter's and still delivering two meals a day to his imprisoned lord through the sliding grate. He's begun to familiarize himself with some of the codes, but there's so much mail its overwhelming. The dark nights reading by candle light and horror of being confronted by what his master was responsible for shakes Algier's nerves, but never his resolve. The daughter of his love is alive somewhere and he's been given the resources to find her. Algier isn't an aggressive man, he's always been the servant to men greater than himself, but even if the empire should fall apart he won't turn down this opportunity. He's never seen his daughter. That's a powerful motivation.

Kingship can be a immeasurable incentive too however, and the real Lord Pacton Thorne doesn't plan to be ruined that easily...

Personality: Algier is quiet and hardworking. He was raised in slavery and all of his mannerisms lean toward docility and humility. Algier has never fought for himself, its not in his nature. His instinct is not to speak until spoken to, he fears the power of the actual lords. His entire life he was the pilot fish to a menacing shark. Now he has to float alongside them not merely as an equal, but as the shark other sharks fear to discuss. All the stress has him looking perpetually exhausted.

He's devoted, honest, hardworking, clean and respectable. He's more comfortable around slaves than masters, where he opens up a little bit and lets out his fatherly jovial nature.

Describe your domain (King's Range is taken): Pacton's domain is an expansive section of land in the south of Mons Caelos. Many of his Landlords run great military cities, Pacton's city is quieter. Its expansive with beautiful archtecture, sweeping arches and grand towers spot the horizon of the Thorne's ancestral home Whiterose. Whiterose is the capital of the Thorne Principalities and its famous for its inequality. Some of the richest and most influential in the kingdom live or hold a house in Whiterose, but the majority are just above slave level laborers. The city's laborers work mostly at the carpentry and textile industry, using the plentifully available wood resources and slightly rarer but more valuable cotton and scarlet dyes that are also cultivated in white run. White run is in the north of the Thorne principality, but the principality as a whole is near the south, bordering Ancier. There isn't much immigration, but ancier refugees are welcomed and then put immediately to work.

Doc Gnosis

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2010
Country
United States
InkBlot Royalist said:
Greetings! I see the position of religious zealot is taken, so would this be an acceptable character:

Appearance: Solomon is a visually unimposing man, with salt and pepper hair, green eyes and standing 5ft9" tall. He is not particularly muscular, but not overweaight either. He has no distinguishing features save for the permanent shine of contempt he carries in his eyes.

Personality: Solomon is incredibly intelligent, but at the price of most of his social skills. He sees people and the world in general as so many numbers and cogs. As such, he feels superior, as as far as he is concerned he is the only person truelly interested in how they WORK. Solomon is incredibly inquisitive, and his attention can only focus on one thing at a time. He often loses interest in people during conversations and will focus on scrawing equations and designs on the nearest clean surface instead.

Background: Solomon is the middle child of the Harbringer line. He was never really expected to do much, his older brothers were to inherit the estate and his younger brothers worked tirelessly in the army and banking sector to prove their worth. Solomon, meanwhile, sat at home in the family castle and drew. And wrote, and planned.

Describe your domain: To be finished

I was just wondering if there were any particularly cold/tunderous areas on the map still going? If so, I call dibs!
Well Rurik's Wall would fit the bill for cold areas. Personally, I don't see a reason why there can't be two religious characters. I'll be looking forward to the rest of your sheet.

Khedive Rex said:
My character. There's probably a couple things that will still need to be worked out. I might provide a separate sheet for Lord Pacton Thorne individually, and despite saying most people don't know him by his face, I'll want to work out who in the RP would be aware that Algier isn't who he says he is. I await the consideration of the GM's.

Name: Algier (the Veritable Lord Pacton Thorne in company)

Appearance: Algier is 6'1 with a strong build. He is not vastly muscular but looks as though he spent his whole life with little food, little sleep, perpetually on his feet. He wears the expensive clothing of Lord Pacton, but often looks uncomfortable in it. He has blue eyes and a light skin tone that could be mistaken for a Mons Caelos scribner before being recognized for a Golden Edge native. He has many scars on his back from a youth of whippings (how they train the slaves to respect the masters), but none on his face or anywhere quickly visible. His eyes are blue and he keeps his face clean shaven according to the master's orders. In company his demeanor is very much that of a wall trying not to impose. He is large, fairly handsome and recently well dressed but always quiet and concerned to be in other people's way.

Background: Algier was borne into slavery and has lived his entire life the servant to men greater than himself. He doesn't lament or resent his role, its the only role he's ever known. In his youth he worked for a Castellian in the southern Principalities as a castle servant, cleaning and maintaining the estate of Gervais Hawke. Gervais appreciated his lighter skin tone (uncharacteristic of Golden Edge slaves), docile demeanor and hardworking additude, and bred him with other slaves to produce desirable offspring. When he was in his twenties he was bred with a slave named Millie, who Algier developed a strong depth of feeling for. Gervais Hawke would later be deposed and his minor castle and belongings sieged by the Prince of the region Lord Pacton Thorne. When Pacton conquered the estate Millie and her unborn child were sent away as undesirable slaves. Algier was kept by Lord Pacton who also appreciated his breeding potential.

For almost twenty years afterward Algier labored as the personal castle servant of Lord Pacton Thorne, a Prince of terrifying influence and authority. The Veritable Lord Pacton Thorne is known by a very few select elites as Mons Caelos's resident "dark trades" resource. Thorne operates a gigantic network of spies, informants, slave rings, thief's guilds and assassins that make him among the most powerful of the Mons Caelos underworld. This is mostly unbeknownst to the common man, who view him simply as a politician of great clout and authority, coming from a long lineage of leaders who've been close to the king or central to the Mons Caelos political atmosphere. With the power of the vested king falling rapidly and the country on the brink of chaos, there are few in the know who have not considered Lord Pacton a force to be reckoned with on the fight to the thrown. However, because of recent changes to the Pacton Estate, Lord Thorne will be seriously curtailed in his assent to power...

Lord Pacton Thorne is an almost mythical figure. This is because few people have ever actually seen him. Pacton, a paranoid man by nature and even more so by necessity, rarely leaves his estate except for desperate or highly important events. He operates his dark trades network mostly from his home where he sends out encoded messages to, calls in favors from and keeps tabs on half of Mons Caelos. His only two regular contacts are Algier, his man servant, and Crismas his letter carrier. Thorne has kept this coterie for many years now. It came as quite a surprise to him when it all came crashing down.

Its was a warm night in the south when word reached Pacton that the power of the sitting king had reached an all-time low. And it was on a warm night that Crismas overpowered Lord Pacton Thorne and locked him in Algier's slave quarters. And even though it was warm that night, Algier still shivered as Crismas declared he was an Ancier spy sent to keep tabs on Pacton's activities, and he has plans for Algier. The Ancier government had concerns about attempting to seize power while Pacton still operated. But they also wanted Pacton's network preserved so that, after Ancier had thoroughly overtaken Mons Caelos, it could be put to their own purposes. They needed someone inexperienced, who wouldn't be able to use the network against them, to maintain it while the chaos of war spread. So it was that Algier was surreptitiously placed at the head of Mons Caelos's largest dark trades network, and the man who constructed it, held against his will in the inescapable slave quarter's he had designed personally.

Crismas left that night, but not before showing Algier the vast libraries of codes, personal agenda's, favors, dark secrets, methods of contact and the accumulated list of ongoing activities that Pacton had stored in his room. Crismas made especially sure to highlight one of the books in particular. A list of Pacton's slave related business. After Millie was sold, she gave birth to a daughter who was purchased by nobility in the Capital. Pacton made a commission on the sale. Millie is recorded as later dying of pnemonia. There is no further mention of the daughter. It was twenty years ago and the paper trail is minuscule at best.

Crismas is gone now. Algier finds himself sleeping on the floor of his master's quarter's and still delivering two meals a day to his imprisoned lord through the sliding grate. He's begun to familiarize himself with some of the codes, but there's so much mail its overwhelming. The dark nights reading by candle light and horror of being confronted by what his master was responsible for shakes Algier's nerves, but never his resolve. The daughter of his love is alive somewhere and he's been given the resources to find her. Algier isn't an aggressive man, he's always been the servant to men greater than himself, but even if the empire should fall apart he won't turn down this opportunity. He's never seen his daughter. That's a powerful motivation.

Kingship can be a immeasurable incentive too however, and the real Lord Pacton Thorne doesn't plan to be ruined that easily...

Personality: Algier is quiet and hardworking. He was raised in slavery and all of his mannerisms lean toward docility and humility. Algier has never fought for himself, its not in his nature. His instinct is not to speak until spoken to, he fears the power of the actual lords. His entire life he was the pilot fish to a menacing shark. Now he has to float alongside them not merely as an equal, but as the shark other sharks fear to discuss. All the stress has him looking perpetually exhausted.

He's devoted, honest, hardworking, clean and respectable. He's more comfortable around slaves than masters, where he opens up a little bit and lets out his fatherly jovial nature.

Describe your domain (King's Range is taken): Pacton's domain is an expansive section of land in the south of Mons Caelos. Many of his Landlords run great military cities, Pacton's city is quieter. Its expansive with beautiful archtecture, sweeping arches and grand towers spot the horizon of the Thorne's ancestral home Whiterose. Whiterose is the capital of the Thorne Principalities and its famous for its inequality. Some of the richest and most influential in the kingdom live or hold a house in Whiterose, but the majority are just above slave level laborers. The city's laborers work mostly at the carpentry and textile industry, using the plentifully available wood resources and slightly rarer but more valuable cotton and scarlet dyes that are also cultivated in white run. White run is in the north of the Thorne principality, but the principality as a whole is near the south, bordering Ancier. There isn't much immigration, but ancier refugees are welcomed and then put immediately to work.
... Wow... Welcome Aboard.

Pandalisk

Jan 25, 2009
Doc Gnosis said:
Pandalisk said:
ah okay, whats the circle just north of the meshlands beyond Ancier? a lake or a hill or something?
That's a forest. If you like you could include that in your domain.
Ah i see, that'd be grand sure, i'll center my domain in and around that forest so, west to the mountains and a tiny bit north south and east if that's grand? what kinda culture does Ancier have by the way?

Doc Gnosis

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2010
Country
United States
Pandalisk said:
Doc Gnosis said:
Pandalisk said:
ah okay, whats the circle just north of the meshlands beyond Ancier? a lake or a hill or something?
That's a forest. If you like you could include that in your domain.
Ah i see, that'd be grand sure, i'll center my domain in and around that forest so, west to the mountains and a tiny bit north south and east if that's grand? what kinda culture does Ancier have by the way?
Ancier is an incredibly overpopulated nation that is trying to harvest whatever they can from the swamps so they can feed themselves; their soil was rendered infertile due to rapid construction and lack of agricultural plan. In desperate times, they start drafting all people - eleven or over - into their army. Either people immediately bolster the army's ranks, or flee to the other nations in hopes to seek their fortune. In lands that border Ancier, you'll likely see some refugees from the nation.
InkBlot Royalist said:

Personality: Solomon is incredibly intelligent, but at the price of most of his social skills. He sees people and the world in general as so many numbers and cogs. He is only really interested in talking to people who are intelligent, interesting or unpredictable, and even then, only because they amuse him. It is not unheard of for him to simply turn away from visitors or interupt ambassadors mid-speach and bigin an entirely new conversation with someone more...intricate.

Background: Solomon is the middle child of the Harbringer line. He was never really expected to do much, his older brother was to inherit the estate and his younger brother worked tirelessly in the army to prove his worth worth. Solomon, meanwhile, sat at home in the family castle and drew. And wrote, and planned. His brilliant mathmatical mind set him up as a perfect banker for the family, amassing them a huge amount of wealth with foreign investments and cunning brokering deals. Solomon's real love in life, however, was that of science and inventing. To him, nothing is more important than improving. Everything can be changed for the better to be stronger, faster, more efficient and BETTER.
When his older brother died of flu and his younger was killed on campaign, Solomon saw his new position of authority as a bit of an inconveniance. On the plus side, however, he had access to the collosal fortune he had helped amass, and near unlimited resources he could commit to his studies and experiments.

Describe your domain: Ruric's wall.
Located in the North-west border of Mons Caelos, Ruric's wall is a snowy, frozen land. The Harbringer family settled there long ago, fighting for a foothold in the frozen vallies and towering cliffs against the Northern tribes that lived there. After an initial, bloody campaign, Solomon's great-great-great grandfather secured a large section of the border, and made peace with the tribes.
Now, the Harbringer terretories dominate a large portion of the North Western mountains, but also extend slightly into the more open southern areas, providing farming opportunities in the spring when the ground thaws out enough for basic agriculture. The people have learned to make the most of this, growing crops during the sunny months and stockpiling everything they can, but the Harbringer lands must rely on vast imports of fruit, grain and vegetables to sustain the castles and larger towns.
Such an inhospitable land would have been abandoned long ago were it not for two crucial factors that had persuaded the Harbringer line to cling to its frozen peaks:
1) The mountains were rich in mining opportunities. Steel and coal are the cheif exports from these lands, but precious stones are not unheard of either. These exports provide a staple for the Harbringers, aswell as various banking ventures they have made in mainland cities.
2) Only a fool would attempt to attack the lands in winter, or even mid-autumn. The dire snowstorms and blizzards of the numerous mountain passes would make a campaign impossible to sustain, as troops would freeze to death outside the city walls during seiges. Winter is the main guard in the Harbringer lands, and as such, Solomon has little need for a large, active army during these periods. Instead, he relies on elite mercenaries, and pays off the various local highland tribes to monitor the smaller passes, killing all intruders.
He has no real permanant army, his brother having lost it in a catastrophic, power-hungry campaign that will remain a taboo for many generations to come. During the summer months when the main pathes are more or less accessable, He relies again on large, mercenary forces to patrol them. Solomon has also invested in the varrios bandits that prey the outlying villiages of the Harbringer land, paying them to attack, or not attack certain convoys. This is just a rumour however, but it is common knowledge that those visitors who claim they are bringing a tribute to Solomon seem to reach their destinations more frequently than others...

There we go! Acceptable?
Yes it is! Welcome aboard. :)

Doc Gnosis

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2010
Country
United States
Redryhno said:
So when do you expect this to be starting? or are you just waiting for a few more players?
I'm going to be holding out for just one more player before I set a five day timer before closing the applications.

InkBlot Royalist

Sep 13, 2011
Could I just clarify, what's the policy on inventing things, and what level of technology do we start with? Also, can we invent our own weaponry?

Doc Gnosis

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2010
Country
United States
InkBlot Royalist said:
Could I just clarify, what's the policy on inventing things, and what level of technology do we start with? Also, can we invent our own weaponry?
If you want to do research and development, you need only write that action in your post; when it comes to research I'll let you know when you've completed it, while whatever developments you plan on making will be completed when everyone's actions are played out. Or if you feel too pressed, you could have spies try to steal other nobles' research; this counts as a secret action.

The technology you have in terms of weaponry are iron armour and melee weapons, basic crossbows for ranged weapons, and trebuchets and battering rams for siege engines. Steel and gunpowder have yet to be discovered nor put to use in terms of warfare. Metalworking could also use some expansion in use; smiths can make arms, armor, and tools, but their talents could extend to doing far more - especially if one discovers gunpowder.

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
Doc Gnosis said:
InkBlot Royalist said:
If you want to do research and development, you need only write that action in your post; when it comes to research I'll let you know when you've completed it, while whatever developments you plan on making will be completed when everyone's actions are played out. Or if you feel too pressed, you could have spies try to steal other nobles' research; this counts as a secret action.

The technology you have in terms of weaponry are iron armour and melee weapons, basic crossbows for ranged weapons, and trebuchets and battering rams for siege engines. Steel and gunpowder have yet to be discovered nor put to use in terms of warfare. Metalworking could also use some expansion in use; smiths can make arms, armor, and tools, but their talents could extend to doing far more - especially if one discovers gunpowder.
Just for clarification, are there...fantastical, for lack of a better word, metals,materials, and the like or is this simply circa 800 Europe, more or less? If our characters just believe it or if they actually exist. I'm not asking about magic or anything, but just... materials much better than what we can find these days just sitting around in our city's,province's, mineshafts. I'm having trouble following my writing myself so sorry if you can't understand it.

Doc Gnosis

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2010
Country
United States
Redryhno said:
Just for clarification, are there...fantastical, for lack of a better word, metals,materials...?
I'm incredibly tempted to include such things, but if there are any such materials they'd probably be in the hands of the Golden Edge, and even then it would be simpler looting one of their ships and killing the crew, than engaging in talks with the pirates. Besides how would negotiating with them look to the other nobles?

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
Doc Gnosis said:
Ok, just wanted to know if they were there or not. And my guy would probably just talk behind closed,barred,locked,trapped, and guarded doors.

Doc Gnosis

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2010
Country
United States
Alright, I'm closing up applications! We're going to be starting this RP soon. I've already set up a Skype chatroom so we can speak with one another; just PM me your Skype name and I'll invite you. Plus it'll make drawing your domains on the map easier with everyone on Skype.