The Protagonist Life.. SPOILERS AHOY.

Australian Justice
Jan 30, 2010
The following post contains spoilers pertaining plots to Red Dead Redemption and L.A. Noire. While the former has been out for more than a year, the latter has only been just released. Read on at your

So, the past 2 games published by Rockstar have featured the main protagonists getting killed in quite dramatic deaths, which were to me very powerful moments for the games story. If one hasn't got the powers to know what the games i'm talking about, i am referring to Red Dead Redemption and L.A. Noire.

In RDR, John Marston dies in a final shootout against the government agent, and the police. This was not only a well done sequence, but one that bummed me out. The game shifts to a grown up Jack Marston, who avenges his father's death. To me it was one of the game's defining moments, however i didn't find Jack fun to play as because well. he ain't John Marston. Not to say that it was a bad thing as it allowed continuity in playing the game and exploring the world.

In L.A. Noire Cole Phelps dies in the final dramatic scene in the sewers, where he drowns from the overflowing. This was among a part of the games stories aesthetic, as it was after all a detective noir style game. It was one that tickled my story brain very much and i thought it was a brilliant ending.

Now to the point, what should the impact of a Player Character's death should have on the game, for example, should the game transfer to a secondary protagonist like Red Dead? or should it take the L.A. Noire approach and just end?

EDIT: Alright i changed it. those accusing me of being a moron, troll etc please note that since i have made a mistake it only proves one thing, i'm human, and we all make mistakes, nothing is perfect, and get over it. but then again people are impossible to please. -.-''

If i have spoiled mentioned games i really do apologise. but can we go back to what the OT was about.

Cheesus333

Aug 20, 2008
Just to let you know OP, change the threat title ASAP. Even the warning that it will give away the ending... gives away the endings to both of those games. I've played RDR and completed it, but I haven't played L.A. Noire yet.

Thanks for that, by the way.

LaochEire

Mar 9, 2010
Lovely, LA: Noire ruined for me.

Edit: This is twice this forum and the idiots that infest it have ruined a game ending for me from a thread title.

GrizzlerBorno

Sep 2, 2010
COLE PHELPS DIES!!?!!? Why would you DO that, OP?! WHY??! I mean I didn't really care but, WHY!!?

Jun 11, 2008
Ye not a great spoiler warning in the title. So yeah thanks for that. Anyway
Yes it can work and I though it was a nice shift in RDR.

^=ash=^

Sep 23, 2009
I just want to /lol at the worst spoiler alert ever.

OT: The death of the protagonist should be the end in my opinion, if the game is to be immersive at least.

xxx

LaochEire said:
Edit: This is twice this forum and the idiots that infest it have ruined a game heading for me from a thread title.
Shouldn't you balme those two people, not the forum or the rest of us idiots ....

Weslebear

Dec 9, 2009
I lol'd at the title since I could not care less about LA Noire, not sure if this guy is this oblivious or just trolling.

Baradiel

Mar 4, 2009
(Change the title. Seriously.)

Anyway, I always considered Red Dead Redemptions decision to allow you to play as his (irritating) son a symbolic way of showing the whole "Sins of the Father" thing. For all John's intentions, Jack still turned out EXACTLY like him. Whether that was the fault of Johns actions or the Feds brutal murder of him, thats up for discussion. Also, allowing continued play through the son lets the player get revenge. I know I wanted to kill the FBI guy. I wanted revenge, and playing as Jack gave me that opportunity.

LA Noires ending, though
, sortof worked in its own way. The story was about Cole Phelps. Apart from a few missions playing as Jack, every mission involved Cole, and his personality. I know a lot of people (including the Escapist podcast) complained about the games inability to make you care about the characters, but I cared for Phelps. I felt devastated at the end, and refused to believe he was dead(closed casket, though. Maybe they didnt find a body). However, I didn't feel the need for revenge. Who could I revenge myself on? Water? Cole's death was his 'redemption', and while I wish he'd lived, his death worked. It ended the story. Whereas in Red Dead, the story needed continuing.

themeteor

Jan 4, 2011
Thanks, am I to guess the protagonist dies in the games in your title which I had yet to finish/start?

JWRosser

Jul 4, 2006
Why should we not read if we haven't finished Red Dead or LA Noire? Unless....GASP WHAT!

Joking aside I'm actually a little pissed off - I did not know that happened at the end of LA Noire...
Although at least now I know to complete all the additional stuff before I do the last mission....

Rathcoole

Jan 1, 2011
Cheers for that. I have played RDR so know all about it's story but I have not yet got to play LA noire. So now if I do buy it I get the joy of knowning the ending as I play which kind of ruin's it for me.