The protagonists for GTA 6 are a Latina woman and a Redneck... interesting

InsaneDragon

Apr 17, 2023
Country
America
So if you guys followed the leaks back in September for GTA 6. the presumed protagonists are based on Bonnie and Clyde. A Latina woman and a man who might be a redneck, although who knows yet.....that's quite an interesting dynamic... We are probably going to get a good deal of social commentary on the state of America at the moment etc

obviously i can't post a leaked scan but i'll post fanart of what they looked like in the leak. Their names are Jason and Lucia (to be we don’t know if he is a redneck he could just be a lower class white guy)

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Aren't they from Left 4 Dead 2?

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I mean a GTA game told from the perspective of a female main character could be very interesting. The typical GTA game involving dating chicks, going to strip clubs, blowing up old lady's with a rocket, etc etc. I would very much be interested in flipping the script by maybe having a character getting hit on by all the mafioso types, perhaps trying to date an everyman while hiding your criminal activities.

What I don't want to happen is a GTA game where everyone is just gender swapped. The mafia and criminal underworld shouldn't be suddenly 80% women for some reason. Not only is this just dumb, but it also undermines the potential story of a girl caught in a web well beyond her capabilities yet succeeding anyway. Sort of the way Walter White was an everyman that began to fall into this whole of the drug world, at first out of desperation and then just getting caught up in the whole flow of it all.

As for the redneck, so long as he isn't another Trevor I think it's fine. Again an interesting story can be made form a total loser of a dude who just stumbles into something that totally leaves him over his head frantically trying to get above water.

Reactions: Dalisclock

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
As for the redneck, so long as he isn't another Trevor I think it's fine. Again an interesting story can be made form a total loser of a dude who just stumbles into something that totally leaves him over his head frantically trying to get above water.
Honestly that's my biggest worry in all of this, I wasn't that big a fan of Trevor and would rather a more """"""down to earth"""""" character, to better contrast the verisimilitude of the game world and the stupid shit player do.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Good for GTA, I guess....

I really don't care, because I got plenty of options to choose from. GTA lost interest in pretty much after the fourth game. I played V a bit with my brother and did the story with them, but not much else. I can't wait to see the reactionaries go ape shit over this, and complain about "too woke", or feel like their games are being taken away from them and invading their man space.

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
Too few "open world" games with full character customization.

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
What I don't want to happen is a GTA game where everyone is just gender swapped. The mafia and criminal underworld shouldn't be suddenly 80% women for some reason. Not only is this just dumb, but it also undermines the potential story of a girl caught in a web well beyond her capabilities yet succeeding anyway. Sort of the way Walter White was an everyman that began to fall into this whole of the drug world, at first out of desperation and then just getting caught up in the whole flow of it all.
I've never played GTA game but I thought the plot never portrays the lead character(s) as incapable in their environment?

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I've never played GTA game but I thought the plot never portrays the lead character(s) as incapable in their environment?
Not particularly, more like reluctantly capable. Niko from GTA 4 is the best example, where he kind of gets caught up in shit he wants no part of. Or CJ in San Andreas.

It would be interesting though to see a character without that capability, gain it through the course of the game. The Saint's Row games do a good job of already making you a badass from moment one, so I'd like to see more grounded regular people in the GTA games.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Am I the only one thinking of GTA3 for some reason?

Wasn't a Latina Lady a main character, even if as a villian? And yes, I'm quite aware the difference between a hero and a villian in a GTA game is pretty subjective.

View attachment 8576
Somebody's DESPERATELY fishing for a job at Pixar.
Man, they got the T+A shot on her.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012

Wasn't a Latina Lady a main character, even if as a villian?
Catalina. She's the protag's girlfriend who betrays him in the intro and serves as the final boss. The whole game builds up to his revenge, although she's not in it much.

Reactions: BrawlMan

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Not particularly, more like reluctantly capable. Niko from GTA 4 is the best example, where he kind of gets caught up in shit he wants no part of. Or CJ in San Andreas.

It would be interesting though to see a character without that capability, gain it through the course of the game. The Saint's Row games do a good job of already making you a badass from moment one, so I'd like to see more grounded regular people in the GTA games.
I think something like falling down/taxi driver (breaking bad for a more contemporary example) could work very well in a GTA game, start as a regular shmuck getting caught in a bad situation and slowly get caught up in the world of crime.

If they want to make it REALLY spicy and topical, some guy get shoot at by some crazed lunatic for no reason, in a faux stand your ground situation, and incur a tons of medical dept and is forced to turn to crime to pay it back.

Wasn't a Latina Lady a main character, even if as a villian?
She wasn't much in the game, but she tries to kill your character at the start of the game, she's also in GTA:SA

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Catalina. She's the protag's girlfriend who betrays him in the intro and serves as the final boss. The whole game builds up to his revenge.
She wasn't much in the game, but she tries to kill your character at the start of the game, she's also in GTA:SA
I remember them making a cameo appearance in SA when I played it way back in the day. I found out after the fact they were from GTA3.

I was contemplating playing GTA 3 with the Remaster games that came out like a year ago but Rockstar screwed the pooch on that one so I decided not to.

InsaneDragon

Apr 17, 2023
Country
America
I mean a GTA game told from the perspective of a female main character could be very interesting. The typical GTA game involving dating chicks, going to strip clubs, blowing up old lady's with a rocket, etc etc. I would very much be interested in flipping the script by maybe having a character getting hit on by all the mafioso types, perhaps trying to date an everyman while hiding your criminal activities.

It makes sense that Rockstar would do a redneck main character especially since the game takes place in Florida. Trevor wasn’t really a “redneck” in the traditional sense he was more of a meth head white trash lol... I think Jason will have a more subdued personality

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I remember them making a cameo appearance in SA when I played it way back in the day. I found out after the fact they were from GTA3.

I was contemplating playing GTA 3 with the Remaster games that came out like a year ago but Rockstar screwed the pooch on that one so I decided not to.
As recompense Rockstar could put actually polished Remasters of GTA3_San Andreas plus RDR1 in GTA6, and have them fully playable in your hideouts. That would probably get me to buy the game.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
It makes sense that Rockstar would do a redneck main character especially since the game takes place in Florida. Trevor wasn’t really a “redneck” in the traditional sense he was more of a meth head white trash lol... I think Jason will have a more subdued personality
You're right, but I feel that if they make Jason just a crazy redneck piece of white trash it will have too much overlap with Trevor even if not directly related. Jason needs to be a more reasonable person, but obviously in a bad situation that he is struggling to get out of.

Perhaps he's just trying to work a shitty job at a scrapyard when he comes across a car with a dead body and a lot of money in the trunk. The criminals come looking but so do the cops and Jason fights with whether he can use the life-changing money for himself or give it up and try to get back to his life.

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
Scruffy looking guy... not sure why that makes him a redneck. Bonnie and Clyde angle sounds interesting..

Last edited:

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
You're right, but I feel that if they make Jason just a crazy redneck piece of white trash it will have too much overlap with Trevor even if not directly related. Jason needs to be a more reasonable person, but obviously in a bad situation that he is struggling to get out of.

Perhaps he's just trying to work a shitty job at a scrapyard when he comes across a car with a dead body and a lot of money in the trunk. The criminals come looking but so do the cops and Jason fights with whether he can use the life-changing money for himself or give it up and try to get back to his life.
*Cormac McCarthy has entered the chat*

To be honest, I'd be totally down for a "No Country for Old Men" inspired Rockstar game. Especially if they channel the creepy dude played by Javier Bardem.

Last edited: