The PS4 Won't Support DualShock 3 Controllers

Sarah LeBoeuf

Apr 28, 2011
The PS4 Won't Support DualShock 3 Controllers

Though PS3 games and regular controllers won't work with the PlayStation 4, Sony's next console will support the PlayStation Move.

It's not terribly surprising given that the next PlayStation won't be backwards compatible [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/122290-PlayStation-4-Abandons-Backwards-Compatibility], but Sony has officially confirmed that along with your PS3 games, DualShock 3 controllers will not work with the PS4. Sony Worldwide Studios President Shuhei Yoshida confirmed the news at a roundtable discussion after Wednesday's PS4 reveal, stating that the console "doesn't support DualShock 3."

You won't have to ditch all of your old controllers, though; the Move motion controller will work with the PS4. LittleBigPlanet developer Media Molecule implied this functionality when it used a Move controller onstage during the PlayStation Meeting, though not to show off a game.

Sony's PSN games also not transferring to the PlayStation 4 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/122262-Sony-Unveils-the-DualShock-4-Controller], you might just want to hang onto those controllers--and your PS3--in case you ever want to play your downloadable games again.

Source: Destructoid [http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/02/21/playstation-4-supports-move-but-not-dualshock-3]

Dec 14, 2009
Hey look! Another thing my PC can do that the PS4 can't!

Makes sense I suppose, I mean, it's not like the dualshock 4 is any different, button configuration wise.

lord canti

May 30, 2009
Why would a previous console controller work with the new one? sony has never made the controllers compatible with the new systems.

ScrabbitRabbit

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2012
lord canti said:
Why would a previous console controller work with the new one? sony has never made the controllers compatible with the new systems.
SonOfVoorhees said:
But isnt that the case with all consoles anyway? :)
No, the PS2 was compatible with PS1 controllers and I'm sure that you could use a dual shock 2 on the PS3 if you had a USB converter. Still not a big deal, mind, but yeah.

Daystar Clarion said:
Daystar, I think you're turning into a PC elitist.

[small]One of us...
One of us...
One of us...[/small]

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
Shocking. Dual Shocking that is.

If PS4 isn't going to play PS3 games, then I'd want my PS3 to stick around.

So whatever.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
I have no intention of throwing away a console because I've got a new one, so not much of a deal. I can't imagine that many people were expecting Dual Shokc 3 controllers to work

Sylveria

Nov 15, 2009
I'm not particularly surprised. I don't think any PS model has used the previous iteration's controllers. But it is just yet another thing that tells me that I should keep my PS3 and wait for a long time to get a PS4.

Sylveria

Nov 15, 2009
SonOfVoorhees said:
Well.. Not to sound Nintendo fan-girly here, but the Wii launched with backwards compatibility and let you use your GC controllers for your GC games as well as some Wii games. The Wii-U plays all your Wii stuff including the digital stuff if you transfer it over, still uses Wiimotes, and actually necessitates you keep your old controllers for a lot of Wii/VC titles.

Heeman89

Jul 20, 2009
wow Sony had the advantage...and proceeds to fumble it away, really don't think I'm going to like this new console generation

VincentX3

Jun 30, 2009
Wow.. so it's not compatible because of the dam FacePSBook button :/

Sony Employes:
"Hur Dur lets make them pay even more for the system by making EVERYTHING incompatible!"
"Dur great Idea Bob! How though?"
"Facebook button!1!!1"
"Won't that piss everyone off though?"
"Nop!! Lets make it compatible with the PSVibrator that no one uses!"

Really though, in this day and age if they really wanted to, they could have made even the PS1 controller work with the PS4.

/sigh

CAPTCHA: birthday girl
..... what? D:

DracoSuave

Jan 26, 2009
A system with completely different system architecture is not backwards compatible?

YOU DONT SAY

lord canti

May 30, 2009
ScrabbitRabbit said:
lord canti said:
SonOfVoorhees said:
No, the PS2 was compatible with PS1 controllers and I'm sure that you could use a dual shock 2 on the PS3 if you had a USB converter. Still not a big deal, mind, but yeah.

Daystar Clarion said:
Daystar, I think you're turning into a PC elitist.

[small]One of us...
One of us...
One of us...[/small][/quoteI remember the ps1 being limited on the ps2 though I might be remebering that wrong. I had no idea about ps2 controllers working on the ps3 either still I take back my comment.

Zipa

batlh bIHeghjaj.
Dec 19, 2010
Its unsurprising that they are not compatible , I mean its not like PS2 controllers worked on the PS3 . Plus its slightly different design wise thanks to the touchpad and the share button ect.

Plus the system itself is going to be X86 architecture based so its no surprise that PS3 games won't work since they are all based on the Cell architecture.

IamQ

Mar 29, 2009
Why would it? No other console has supported the previous ones' controller

N3squ1ck

Mar 7, 2012
I want to like the PS4, but dafuq is sony doing?
The second player is not going to need the share button and the touchpad (using my power to look in the future here) won't be used in any not completely gimmicky way, apart from 1 or 2 first party titles.
I mean at least the option would have been nice, since for sure not all games are going to use it.
The PS2 controllers worked with an adapter on the PS3, even if they did not have the same functionality (that weird motion control sixaxis thing the PS3 controllers had going on)
It's sad that sony moves away from the relative openess that the PS3 was having.

EDIT:
IamQ said:
Why would it? No other console has supported the previous ones' controller
Yes, the PS2 supported the PS1 controllers, the Wii supported the GC controllers, the WiiU supports everything the Wii supported (no GC controllers though), the PS3 supported PS1 and PS2 controllers via an adapter (and it supported quite a few different USB powered non-sony controllers too)