The real reason MW3 stars an American cast (quit complaining)

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
I keep seeing comments about the MW3 campaign talking about how they are offended by MW3 because it doesn't include a multinational cast. People complain that even in all of the European levels, France, Germany, you play as Americans, and they feel that it's unfair not to distinguish the military identities of other countries.

I'd like to put the record straight here, MW3 uses a primarily American cast not because of some sense that America is the greatest country in the world, nor does it do so for reasons of warmongering propaganda or militaristic brainwashing as some keep claiming. No, the reasoning is much simpler than this, people don't like subtitles.

Think about it, the reason that the entire cast speaks English is because the game is being sold to a primarily English speaking demographic. This means that in order to have a multilingual cast one of two things would have to happen. Either parts of the game would have to be heavily subtitled, or parts of the game would include incredibly stereotyped accents. They don't do the first because most people don't like having to read subtitles while playing a high action game because it's distracting, and they don't do the second because invariably it would offend the audience they're trying to include, the French and the Germans.

They make the entire cast American and British because it's just the easiest thing to do. There's no conspiracy to make the world love the American military, there's no ultra-nationalistic pride involved, so stop harping on the campaign for not including more nationalities and start complaining about the real problems with the campaign, the fact that it's short, repetitive, and emotionless.

Tayh

Apr 6, 2009
I thought it was because the american players would lose their sense of identity if they couldn't play a gun-toting, almighty american grunt.

But sure, your hypothesis is good too.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Tayh said:
I thought it was because the american players would lose their sense of identity if they couldn't play a gun-toting, almighty american grunt.
Wow, way to sterotype.

@OT: I agree for the most part.

shrimpcel

Sep 5, 2011
Don't try to give them excuses. For example, let's go back to the times of the original Call of Duty game. You had a Soviet campaign in the last part of the game and that was pretty much the best part of the game. Nobody complained about that. Even more recently, with "World at War", you had a Soviet campaign, with those "offensive" accents you speak of, and that's certainly not what people have complained about.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
shrimpcel said:
Don't try to give them excuses. For example, let's go back to the times of the original Call of Duty game. You had a Soviet campaign in the last part of the game and that was pretty much the best part of the game. Nobody complained about that. Even more recently, with "World at War", you had a Soviet campaign, with those "offensive" accents you speak of, and that's certainly not what people have complained about.
Russians have stopped complaining because we've always been made out to be the bad guys anyway so we know that IW isn't after our money and don't care about us anyway. The French though, they ***** about EVERYTHING.

lRookiel

Lord of Infinite Grins
Jun 30, 2011
But I like complaining.. WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

:3

Swifty714

Jun 1, 2011
Oh dear, I was looking forward to a good defense for MW3, but it seems I shall look elsewhere...

However, I think it would have been better to just say that the story following Ramirez and Friends couldn't be as straight forward, and focused, had the game feature every single military.

Then a scary outcome might occur, that they wouldn't finish Ramirez's story, and any surviving soldiers from the other military's. Leading to MW4.

A game that would make it hard for me to keep defending CoD by that point.

(It's hard already as is.)

w9496

Jun 28, 2011
I thought it was because us Americans have a large round-the-world presence, so it makes sense as to why they are stationed everywhere, and are sent everywhere.

Also, a good chunk of COD players are American, and it's always nice to have something that you can connect to.

What aboout the other half of the game in which you play as yuri? Yuri is without a doubt Russian. You even get to play as Captain Price for a mission, and he's British.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Tayh said:

That theory became invalid the very moment that Soap and Price were introduced. Also way to be tolerant of other cultures.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
I call bullshit.

The very first Call of Duty had you play a Russian for a third of the game. Hell, it was the best part of the game. Oh, and he spoke english with an accent, as did all the other Russians. No subtitles.

The Modern Warfare games star Americans because American heroes sell better to American audiences. Simple as that.

Ordinaryundone

Oct 23, 2010
MW3 DOESN'T star an American cast. It stars a British guy, a Scottish guy, and a Russian guy. There are some Americans there too, but also more Brits, another Russian, and several background characters of other nationalities. The Americans actually play a fairly small role.

Why do we follow the American team? Why not? The war was started in America, so clearly they needed to finish that arc. Then its off to see the world! But there is a funny thing, you know. Its called consistency. I'd much rather have fewer viewpoints with a more consistent narrative than have the story jumping all across the world just so everyone can have their time in the spotlight. Take the SAS mission, for example. What was the point of that mission? To show that they are bombing cities? Why not just have Soap and Price there? That way we can keep the narrative structure together and not have that jarring "wait, who am I playing as now?" moment as we keep hopping across the world. Instead we got 20 minutes with two SAS guys we had never met, and would never see again, just for the sake of including the SAS proper in the game. Pointless.

You know why W@W did so well? You had TWO viewpoints. Thats it. Eastern Front, and Pacific. It kept things nice and tight, while letting you see two very different sides of the war. That shit works. If the game had been "Play as the Americans! Then the Canadians! Then the French! Then the Poles! Then the Russians! etc.!" the story would have made no goddamn sense. At that point, its less of a video game and more of a History Channel documentary.

I don't care if (Insert Nationality of Choice) had some super cool battle that no one ever talks about; chances are, if they fought on the same front, then the battles are likely remarkably similar and thus not worth portraying just for the sake of inclusion.

PS: Canadians have already been represented in a Call of Duty, so all the angry Canucks need to calm down and play CoD 3. Seriously, the last thread was full of you guys.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Zhukov said:
I call bullshit.

The very first Call of Duty had you play a Russian for a third of the game. Hell, it was the best part of the game. Oh, and he spoke english with an accent, as did all the other Russians. No subtitles.

The Modern Warfare games star Americans because American heroes sell better to American audiences. Simple as that.
Yes because the fact that you play Americans only 5 times out of the 18 missions in MW3 seems to fly over everyones head. Hell YOU PLAY AS A RUSSIAN for the majority of the game as people seem to not reealize

Aug 1, 2010
...I have never heard that complaint.

I was pretty sure that when a game is made is America by Americans, it's OK to have American voice actors...

But, if the [strike/]lemon scented pussy wipes[/S] more PC people want a multinational cast, I think the studio should head what they say. It's easy enough to find a voice actor who can speak english.

Ragsnstitches

Dec 2, 2009
Well, that would be valid yet I have only one thing to say:

In all my experience with CoD, I have found their audio balancing atrocious. So I normally play with subs on anyway, because I can't hear generic grunt shout over all the war sounds. It's either that or lower the SE audio, which is silly because that is as much a part of the game as the Shooting and stabbing.

I agree that it's not a conspiracy, though I've never heard anyone think it was. It's just lazy. They're too lazy to have ulterior motives beyond making lotsa monay!

Meh, I don't care much for CoD, but I think people give them too much credit with the amount of bickering that comes up about them.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
Except that most of the trilogy is played as non-Americans with non-Americans, there was an entire mission with JUST Russians and they spoke in stereotypical accents, and the entire Russian campaign of CoD 2 was... well, I shouldn't even have to explain this.

Plus, as I saw from what other people said, CoD 2 isn't the only one of the WW2 games that had you play as a non-American person that shouldn't be speaking English.

The only CoD game I can think of where the majority was played as an American was Black Ops.

EDIT:

Tayh said:

Bigot.

Mauso88

A Simply Dignified Manly Man.
Feb 3, 2011
CoD is made by Americans, for Americans. It really isn't that complicated.

Akimoto

Nov 22, 2011
Dirty Hipsters said:
They make the entire cast American and British because it's just the easiest thing to do.
I'm pretty sure there are other nationalities out there who can speak English just fine. I confess to complaining about an all American cast - what I have in mind is not for foreign language to be used but for the models in the game to be more varied.

darkman80723

Jul 1, 2009
Good hypothesis, makes sense to me. But let me say as an American I really wouldn't care if I were playing a Russian, Chinese, German, Australian, Canadian, etc etc etc soldier or who I was shooting. Hell make a game all set in Iraq or Afghanistan where you fight the Americans, wouldn't bother me one bit. Its a game...meant to distract me and entertain even if just for a bit. Don't like playing as an American, don't play the game. And really, quit the "but all Americans" crap. It gets old, and really the majority of us aren't so egotistical that we cannot handle other viewpoints.