The REAL reason why RWBY failed(You're not gonna believe it)

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
DirectorK said:
I'm totally speechless! I am totally speechless!
Clearly that's not the case, judging by the size of your OP. :p

omega 616 said:
Say ad libbing one more time, I dare you, I double dare mother fucker!
My thoughts exactly.

Since everyone else seems to be using clips to do their talking for them:

Or this could be equally applicable:

As for Rooster Teeth in general, their writing has never been fantastic, even in the best of RvB. On the other hand, Achievement Hunter's lets plays are completely unscripted - thus entirely ad-libbed - and I'd consider their videos to be the best material that RT puts out.

Oh, and anyone else notice that this entire topic exists so that the OP can vent their rage and feeling of betrayal about how RWBY utterly failed to live up to their expectations...yet still uses a RWBY character for an avatar? :3

KingOfGreyfell

Oct 7, 2011
RJ 17 said:
As for Rooster Teeth in general, their writing has never been fantastic, even in the best of RvB. On the other hand, Achievement Hunter's lets plays are completely unscripted - thus entirely ad-libbed - and I'd consider their videos to be the best material that RT puts out.
Achievement Hunter also isn't trying for a plot.

The_Darkness

Nov 8, 2010
Redryhno said:
What was the point of the train wreck/Grimm invasion if three teams of first year Hunters can deal with the "countless Grimm hiding underground" in less than a hour?
To pick up on one point out of your entire post - considering that the General's network was hacked midway through the series, the new defence robots had an introduction that basically said "You shouldn't like these guys" in episode 3 (Kicking over and standing on the previous model? Real subtle...), and those robots got deployed across the entire city after the Grimm invasion, and assigned to guard the tournament that keeps getting mentioned...

...I'm pretty sure that the train wreck Grimm invasion achieved exactly what it was intended to do, even if the Grimm themselves were dealt with relatively quickly. And I've got a good guess at what'll happen during volume 3.

Iron_Man_977

Jul 21, 2011
A lot of people are saying ad libbing isn't bad, and it isn't, but it shouldn't change the entire plot of your work. If it's just a line, find. That adds some personality to it. But if you have a thought out, well conducted story, character arcs and personalities, you shouldn't their all that away just because of one ad lib. Imagine if in the first avengers movie, RDJ ad libbed a line about iron man secretly wanting to bone captain america, and then the writers and directed though "PERFERCT" and turned the avengers into a romcom between iron man and the cap. As amazing as a movie that would have been, we wouldn't have gotten the avengers that we did. The winter soldier wouldn't have happened, iron man 3 wouldn't have happened. Everything would have changed, all because Robert Downey Jr made a gay joke

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
KingOfGreyfell said:
RJ 17 said:
Achievement Hunter also isn't trying for a plot.
VERY true. It's certainly harder when you're actually trying to write a story.

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
You do realize that ad-libbing is hugely common in shows and movies, right? Pretty much all of Ghostbusters was ad-libbed, R. Lee Ermey's lines in Full Metal Jacket were made up on the spot, hell, a shit load of comedies now a days rely on the actors ad-libbing.

I highly doubt that RWBY adding in a plot point due to an ad lib is the reason why you hate it and think it fails.

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
soren7550 said:
You do realize that ad-libbing is hugely common in shows and movies, right? Pretty much all of Ghostbusters was ad-libbed, R. Lee Ermey's lines in Full Metal Jacket were made up on the spot, hell, a shit load of comedies now a days rely on the actors ad-libbing.

I highly doubt that RWBY adding in a plot point due to an ad lib is the reason why you hate it and think it fails.
The difference there is that it's a line here and there and people looking for a way to make it better. In this instance, it rewrote like half the script and added in one of the universally hated story cliches, a bad love triangle, while also canonizing the trailers that were declared non-canon before. It was not that it was an ad-lib persay, it was that it was a bad ad-lib that reneged on alot of things and made the show even more generic than it already was.

LawAndChaos

Nice things are gone
Aug 29, 2014
And keep in mind that R. Lee Erney in FMJ was in fact a real drill sargeant, and was using his experience as one to give the film a more authentic feel. They gave him free reign because he knew what a REAL drill sargeant would act and sound like, and edited out anything unnecessary in post production.

RWBY is a series where things get thrown in because "why the heck not," which is not a good way to write a story unless you're just that damn talented.

And of all the people I feel bad for in this, I feel bad for Monty especially, because maybe it's just me, but I highly doubt this was what he envisioned.

He even said in commentary and some of the live chat things that this was originally a much smaller story that got expanded, and that he's wanted to cut some things out of the plot but the writers won't let him.

If that's the case then it's possible the writers have gone and hijacked his own concept and turned it into the first two volumes of liquified 'ech' that we've seen so far.

Now don't take my word on that, because it's based on hearsay. I'd have to double check the volume 2 commentary to be certain.

Now music! Since our good friend cookie monste--erm, I mean Redry mentioned it, music in RWBY is well composed. I gave the ost of volume 1 and 2 a listen and Jeff is really working to give a relatively diverse set of songs. Unfortunately they're not as good as the trailer work for the most part because of the fact that the trailer music blended a few things together. I mean, the Red trailer had a largely orchestral feel to it, the White trailer kinda starting out with light piano into a finale that mingles it with...I dunno, a techno-ish beat underneath? The Black trailer was a sorta D'n'B into Rock deal, and Yang's was a trance-like remix of the previous trailers finishing with Yang's own theme.

A lot of the ost music is really really standard, and doesn't do anything new or interesting. Oh, and then there's the fact that Jeff has Casey Lee Williams singing every. Single. Song. He literally has NOBODY else to do any vocals (except like, one dude, probably himself), and as a result Casey Lee is singing every. Single. Song. Even ones that go outside of her vocal range causing her to 'scream' lyrics instead of singing them (listen to volume 2's OP, you will hear it when she comes to the main chorus). Team CFVY's theme is the most egregious example of how bad some of the songs get.

Chaos Isaac

Jun 27, 2013
Really? I would say, from my own critical stand point, ad-libbing can be some of the best shit there is.

But it's the guys behind it that decide whether it goes in.

Besides, the show has a plethora of other problems. Though when I say that I mean two problems.

The fights have no tension, and therefore don't matter and aren't that interesting, though pretty. But that's a flaw you knew they were gonna have because of all the Tex fights that have the exact same problem.

More importantly, the writing sucks. And sure, the ad-libbing may not of helped that, but people decided it was good and put it in anyways, instead of going, 'that's neat, maybe we'll do something later or have a reel about these things for shits and giggles.'

Naraku578

Dec 3, 2014
I like RWBY, but the story is sprawling out of control, there are like 20-40 characters and it needs to be cut in half. Now hearing that a lot is no longer canon is a bit disappointing. I wish they would have made this season about the dang tournament talked about in the first instead of just being all over the place.

Not to mention RWBY seems to want to be a full fledged anime as opposed to a humble online series like RVB. The way things are looking if we get another season like season 2 people are going to stop liking it.

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
Oh, I never meant to say the music was bad in RWBY, it's actually pretty good, but Casey Lee Williams, all I'm hearing is a bad Joan Jett wannabe imitator and like you said, she's in every song they do, and she just doesn't have the range to do most of them, so it takes alot away from the experience. Like with most of my criticism of RWBY, it pretty much all stems from wasted potential and bad decisions.

KingOfGreyfell

Oct 7, 2011
Redryhno said:
Oh, I never meant to say the music was bad in RWBY, it's actually pretty good, but Casey Lee Williams, all I'm hearing is a bad Joan Jett wannabe imitator and like you said, she's in every song they do, and she just doesn't have the range to do most of them, so it takes alot away from the experience. Like with most of my criticism of RWBY, it pretty much all stems from wasted potential and bad decisions.

Wasted Potential and Bad Decisions. How can we work that into an acronym? That's a good name.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
KingOfGreyfell said:
Wasted Potential and Bad Decisions. How can we work that into an acronym? That's a good name.
Sounds like Sword Art Online in a nutshell to me. And this is coming from an SAO fan.

But really, hearing all the complaining about RYBW or whatever in this thread has me thinking "how can people watch it if it's this bad?" It only took me a few short clips to realize the entire project was handled incompetently.

I do hope the creator gets better though. Really was poor timing on this thread.

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
VanQ said:
KingOfGreyfell said:
Sounds like Sword Art Online in a nutshell to me. And this is coming from an SAO fan.

But really, hearing all the complaining about RYBW or whatever in this thread has me thinking "how can people watch it if it's this bad?" It only took me a few short clips to realize the entire project was handled incompetently.

I do hope the creator gets better though. Really was poor timing on this thread.
Personally I watch it because I think Roman's got to be one of the most fun villains in recent history and the world itself is really interesting when they decide to stop focusing on the [s/]Mahou Shoujos[/s] main cast or even when they give screentime to the side characters.

barbzilla

He who speaks words from mouth!
Dec 6, 2010
Armadox said:
Can.. can I now be a fan of it if only because of how the OP handles it? I mean, I think I've now gotten more entertainment from him then if I watched or knew what the show even was.

Also, ad-libbing happens a lot in television and movies. A lot of really classic parts came from an actor or many going off script. Hell, I think half of Bill Murray's career was built on the random things he'd do. So I wouldn't really put down ad-libbing as a demon to cinema.

Anyways, this isn't really a big deal, as Rooster Teeth have always kinda seemed like the company to have really good ideas, and let whatever happens happen.
Thanks, I was about to bring this up. Many shows have changed entire directions due to adlibbing. The good news is, if they let adlibed stuff make them re-write the script, odds are it had a weak script to begin with. As for your frustration, I don't think they had much planned past season one, or they wouldn't have had such a bad second season. They probably were under a contractual agreement to get them out in a certain amount of time which would have affected the writing if they didn't have a plan already in action. This doesn't mean that the show is going to be dead though, it is possible for them to remove their heads from their rears and get the show back on track, it will just take some effort on their part.

CpT_x_Killsteal

Elite Member
Jun 21, 2012
I actually didn't mind it. I think it would've been awesome if they in the direction you mentioned, and maybe stuck to the plot a bit more, but I actually kinda liked it. Not as much as I would have if it stuck to the plot, but it atleast held my attention long enough to actively watch through the whole thing, which has become rare for me.

Anyway, hopes for season 3, fingers crossed.

Saviordd1

Jan 2, 2011
I never watched RWBY because it seemed like your normal run of the mill anime. That's fine, just not my bag.

But ad-libbing and improving isn't bad. If you think it is you should look at that video discussing the greatest improvised moments in film. (The example I love is Indiana Jones shooting the sword guy)

lucky_sharm

Aug 27, 2009
Saviordd1 said:
I never watched RWBY because it seemed like your normal run of the mill anime. That's fine, just not my bag.

But ad-libbing and improving isn't bad. If you think it is you should look at that video discussing the greatest improvised moments in film. (The example I love is Indiana Jones shooting the sword guy)
Sheesh, how many times do people have to repeat this? Ad-libbing works for certain scenes, not entire plots.