The Real Robot Uprising Begins, Then Ends

GrinningManiac

Jun 11, 2009
This justifys my belief that in the event of an "inevitable" robot uprising: we win

"ARRGH...COMPUTERS ARE SENTIENT, AND HOSTILE!!""
*BLAM**BLAM*
"Phew, Nice work, Mike. All right, people, back to work, nuthin' t'see here!"

Triple G

Sep 12, 2008
I always thought that remote controlled "battle-machines", be it tanks, planes, toasters etc. are not "real". I don't know, I can't explain it. just always thought that a machine has to be steered by humans, and in my opinion military-cyborgs or whatever should never replace infantry.

COR 2000

Jun 30, 2008
JimmyBassatti said:
Holy shit, it was controlling itself? Why are we even letting these things do missions for us? Sure, they are safer, but if they could potentially control themselves, and fuck shit up in places they shouldn't, I say we just off the entire project.
On the same note, what would be the point of war if we have machines fight for us? It would be understandable if it's us fighting with robot support like it is now, but to give them all the guns and tell them to kill each other: THAT'S how the cyber-apocalypse will begin...

If the MQ-9 was to escape though, I'd wonder if he could get the Swedish Sudoku-bot [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/94177-Swedish-Hacker-Builds-Sudoku-Solving-Lego-Robot] and TiVo [http://www.sfgate.com/blogs/images/sfgate/techchron/2006/09/07/tivo.jpg] to join his cause...

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
Your thread title got my hopes up and the story didn't disappoint.

Humans 1, Robots 0

But we're only in the first period, first quarter, first half of the game and everybody knows that anything can happen from here.

ben---neb

No duckies...only drowning
Apr 22, 2009
Phase 1 of my Evil (not to mention cunning) Plan to Take Over the World has begun. You heard it here first.

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
well, at least they haven't got to the point where they have the potential to become faster, and stronger than us yet...

oh, wait... [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/94305-New-Robot-Hand-Makes-Movies-Seem-More-Likely]

Escapefromwhatever

Feb 21, 2009
COR 2000 said:
JimmyBassatti said:
Holy shit, it was controlling itself? Why are we even letting these things do missions for us? Sure, they are safer, but if they could potentially control themselves, and fuck shit up in places they shouldn't, I say we just off the entire project.
On the same note, what would be the point of war if we have machines fight for us? It would be understandable if it's us fighting with robot support like it is now, but to give them all the guns and tell them to kill each other: THAT'S how the cyber-apocalypse will begin...

If the MQ-9 was to escape though, I'd wonder if he could get the Swedish Sudoku-bot [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/94177-Swedish-Hacker-Builds-Sudoku-Solving-Lego-Robot] and TiVo [http://www.sfgate.com/blogs/images/sfgate/techchron/2006/09/07/tivo.jpg] to join his cause...
Well, the goal of war is not to kill the other army, but to beat the opposing forces into submission. Often times it varies, and while sometimes it does involve wiping out as much of the other army as possible, it also could be more focused towards capturing territory, or assassinating a certain target. Obviously, at least for right now, humans are much better at this than any robotic forces, but a robot army fighting another robot army is not necessarily pointless.

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
AvsJoe said:
Your thread title got my hopes up and the story didn't disappoint.

Humans 1, Robots 0

But we're only in the first period, first quarter, first half of the game and everybody knows that anything can happen from here.
You mean like this?

Sulu

Jul 7, 2009
Does anyone else find the idea of using robots in war as cheating? What happened to good old fashioned war when men were men and we both risked our lives. I've seen some of the new American ground fighting robots on 'Future Weapons' and all I can say is "poor show!".
Maybe I just don't like the idea of future warfare boiling down to thousands of 'soldiers' and 'pilots' sitting in front of a computer screen using robot fighting machines.

StercusCaput

Sep 12, 2009
Sulu said:
Does anyone else find the idea of using robots in war as cheating? What happened to good old fashioned war when men were men and we both risked our lives. I've seen some of the new American ground fighting robots on 'Future Weapons' and all I can say is "poor show!".
Maybe I just don't like the idea of future warfare boiling down to thousands of 'soldiers' and 'pilots' sitting in front of a computer screen using robot fighting machines.
Considering that soldiers are very much still on the front lines even with their robots and will be for a while longer, I don't see the problem.

Edit: I can see where one could argue that it would be much easier to go to war if human lives are not on the line. Well we are not there yet. We are flying more unmanned drones recently but that is only because we are not up against an enemy air force in the sky. That and the terrain and guerrilla enemy makes the drones quite useful.

Down the road when a robot army is possible, they will still be limited by money. Each robot will have a real monetary cost associated with it. It obviously isn't the same as a human life, but the cost does keep it from being a throwaway weapon.

Gebi10000

Aug 14, 2009
Sulu said:
war sucks. get over it

avelmen1889

Dec 30, 2008
this sounds like some terminator movie that would be titled "rise of skynet" or something like that.
it began with the auto flush toilets that are just evil and now this