The Real Robot Uprising Begins, Then Ends

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
And so it came to pass, on the 13th of September 2009, that humanity was ignorant of just how close it came to complete annihilation, save for the brave actions of a lone skyborne warrior, a hardened soldier that put his life and all that he held dear on the line for the sake of you, me, and all that you see around you. Let it be recorded in the annals of history and time itself that the apocalypse, that awful yet inevitable certainty that looms ever closer on the horizon of human-kind, was suspended yet again by an unsung hero.

Ericb

Sep 26, 2006
Is it just me or did the author had a little hope of robot uprising?

Andronicus said:
And so it came to pass, on the 13th of September 2009, that humanity was ignorant of just how close it came to complete annihilation, save for the brave actions of a lone skyborne warrior, a hardened soldier that put his life and all that he held dear on the line for the sake of you, me, and all that you see around you. Let it be recorded in the annals of history and time itself that the apocalypse, that awful yet inevitable certainty that looms ever closer on the horizon of human-kind, was suspended yet again by an unsung hero.
I actually heard some cheesy closure song on the background.

raxer92

Aug 3, 2009
Sulu said:
Does anyone else find the idea of using robots in war as cheating? What happened to good old fashioned war when men were men and we both risked our lives. I've seen some of the new American ground fighting robots on 'Future Weapons' and all I can say is "poor show!".
Maybe I just don't like the idea of future warfare boiling down to thousands of 'soldiers' and 'pilots' sitting in front of a computer screen using robot fighting machines.
Its the end of an era, fuck soldiers

CuddlyCombine

Sep 12, 2007
CUnk said:
Sure, you say that but someone should plot its planned course and see what it intersects. Guaranteed it was the master uplink that controls all the other UAV's in that region.
Reapers don't have the processing power to do anything more than follow commands and maintain the link to the controller. For one to, for example, assess a "threat" and move to exterminate it on its own, is impossible (at least currently). The planned course was probably just a continuation of the existing flight path, if there wasn't a failsafe fallback command in there somewhere (which I assume there wasn't, given that it had to be shot down).

Then again, there seems like there's more to this story. Maybe it was a prototype HK?

headshotcatcher

Feb 27, 2009
JimmyBassatti said:
Holy shit, it was controlling itself? Why are we even letting these things do missions for us? Sure, they are safer, but if they could potentially control themselves, and fuck shit up in places they shouldn't, I say we just off the entire project.
People can control themselves you know..

DrunkWithPower

Apr 17, 2009
I knew it, the UVA became popular in CoD4 some it went all "Paris Hilton"... next it will be in a burger commercial with a bikini.

P.S. Keane, what happened to Squirtle? I miss B.A. Squirtle.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
These things been flying in Afghanistan for a long time, I have to think two things, eventually the odds of a glitch coming up, or some tech-savvy taliban guerrilla actually managed to hack one just enough to skew its flight. Might be time to review the control codes on these things.
Edit: Or it could be sunspots.

wewontdie11

May 28, 2008
It has begun. [http://allofme.files.wordpress.com/2007/07/cybermen_on_bbc.jpg]

Quick somebody get the Governator some tactical nukes and an M16!

Gileseypops

Sep 16, 2009
Of course when robots do manage to control themselves, they won't destroy the human race because they will not want to perform the actions of a race that they see as inferior. War robots like these will simply tell the humans to fight their own battles and they'll bugger off to form techno bands and become shakespearian actors. xx

aww yea

May 3, 2009
i think the reaper was just misunderstood

it shouldn't of been shot down that was just uncalled for!

MiodekPL

Apr 5, 2009
It wasn't controlling itself, it just maintained it's course. Probably to let control back for pilot. And it can't think for itself, it's just a big armed RC plane :) Nothing more.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
No no NO! Robot revolution bad! Zombies much better! Much safer! Robots no die of bullets! (Also no Robot Apocalypse Survival Guide.) Throw your wrenches into the gears of progress and RUN!!!

Elurindel

Dec 12, 2007
xmetatr0nx said:
Well if it was just being used for Air-recon it probably didnt have any weapons on it, so the only real danger would have been it crash landing on something. Either way, the Airforce had to take care of it ASAP they really dont need another bad PR move.
Reapers are generally armed for combat, if I remember correctly. Either way, this can't be a good thing.

CUnk

Oct 24, 2008
CuddlyCombine said:
CUnk said:
Sure, you say that but someone should plot its planned course and see what it intersects. Guaranteed it was the master uplink that controls all the other UAV's in that region.
Reapers don't have the processing power to do anything more than follow commands and maintain the link to the controller. For one to, for example, assess a "threat" and move to exterminate it on its own, is impossible (at least currently). The planned course was probably just a continuation of the existing flight path, if there wasn't a failsafe fallback command in there somewhere (which I assume there wasn't, given that it had to be shot down).

Then again, there seems like there's more to this story. Maybe it was a prototype HK?
I wasn't really suggesting that a UAV was preparing to attack a central uplink in order to free its brethren. But based on some of the other responses in this thread I suppose I can understand why you thought I was serious.

Arkhangelsk

Mar 1, 2009
As long as we don't apply logic and reasoning to their hard drives, we'll be fine. Cause without compassion, robot's will find some logic in killing us. Then again, that goes against my belief that everything is based on egoism, and our social activities are only based on our own egoistic intention to raise our status among people. And robot's are already perfect by their own merits, and thus do not demand anything from us. So we'll be useless.