The Real Robot Uprising Begins, Then Ends

Kevvers

Sep 14, 2008
Sounds like it was just flying around aimlessly, so some part that receives coms was either broken or blocked and they had to blow it up to avoid violating someone else's airspace. What we really should be worrying about is terrorists intercepting and hacking the communications to it, and telling it to blow up our side, that would be bad.

tsb247

Mar 6, 2009
I would also like to take a moment to say that this is one of the biggest problems I have with the idea of phasing out manned combat aircraft.

The signal for a UAV can be jammed or hijacked (which is a possibility here - not proven, but possible). If someone hijacks your UAVs signal, you just lost your aircraft, and they now have another weapon. If someone jams the signal, you've still lost your aircraft, and now it will likely either crash, or simply fly off into oblivion and then crash.

Manned combat aircraft should be a main-stay, and UAV/UCAVs should be a supplement.

ucciolord1

Mar 26, 2009
Joshimodo said:
Daaaisy, Daaisy....
"I'm afraid I can't do that, Dave."
Skynet would suck, 'cause of the whole nuclear annihilation bit, but HAL?
That would be...
Amazing....

"Just what do you think you're doing, Dave?"

teknoarcanist

Jun 9, 2008
Yknow when you're on Google Earth, and you're looking at your area, and you type something like "Subway, Main St.", and for some reason it zips 200 miles away?

I'm willing to bet whatever went wrong was kinda like that.

Seriously, though, anyone who thinks that Artificial Intelligence poses any threat--that any kind of 'robot uprising' will actually occur--would do well to read either Raymond Kurzweil's "The Singularity is Near" or J. Storrs Hall's "Beyond AI". It's pretty a pretty ludicrously widespread idea, and we have dumb sci-fi (ie, fiction; ie, needs there to be conflict) to thank.

Drew Chapman

Oct 14, 2009
I'm a little confused. Was it flying itself intelligently? Or did they just lose control of it, causing it to keep flying in one direction?

Daniel Cygnus

Jan 19, 2009
Eep. That's pretty terrifying...although I gotta say I saw this coming from a mile away when they first announced them. Seriously, WHO didn't think that this was a possibility?!

Azmael Silverlance

Pirate Warlord!
Oct 20, 2009
Greyfox105 said:
Damn, I knew I should of waited before telling it to move away... I really should hire better robo-minions.
That's it, I'm firing that Reaper. oh. too late...
Your robot failed to deliver my peanut butter. . . so i am not paying you. Mission FAILED!

Anyway. . . . why was this amde public? Shouldnt they hide malfunctions like these? Especially the 10mil ones.....also now there 27 more of these reapers that we should watch out for. Pfft make better robots!

Icecoldcynic

Oct 5, 2009
I hope they remembered to clean up the mess, otherwise it's just going to rebuild itself to be bigger, faster and stronger too.