The reason techs hate Apple products

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
It's because Apple has a history of making inferior yet overpriced products. Even super basic stuff like installing Firefox extensions or having a comma key on your keyboard can't be done on iPhone for example.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Apple is great if you just do basic computer stuff and are fine paying extra and living in their ecosystem, but as soon as you try to do anything more advanced like actually look through the file system, all you get is pain and annoyance.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
If you think of Apple as a fashion company rather than a tech company, a lot of things about it start making more sense.

Still, best be careful, lest the Apple fanboys find out and shiv you while reciting the myth gospel of Jobs at you.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I don't mind the ecosystem, I like the broad support it has and to not have my phone call homebase and gather metrics I'd need to go back to a Nokia 5110. If engineers and more tech savvy people don't use them and prefer Android then that is their educated prerogative.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Apple is great if you just do basic computer stuff and are fine paying extra and living in their ecosystem, but as soon as you try to do anything more advanced like actually look through the file system, all you get is pain and annoyance.
Apple products are objectively not great no matter the type of user you are because their products just stop working due to repeated engineering flaws. It's all in the video, Apple laptops are notorious for bad board design causing the laptops to not even power on. Then, Apple has decided to solder SSDs onto their already bad boards meaning when the board does crap out on you, you just lost all your data too. Or how about when Apple used bad keyboards and RIVETED them on so replacing the keyboard is not only expensive ($200) but it is also an extreme pain the in ass. Whereas any normal laptop, you can replace a keyboard in 5 minutes while only costing about $20. If you buy Apple products, you are paying more money for something that is objectively worse.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Apple products are objectively not great no matter the type of user you are because their products just stop working due to repeated engineering flaws. It's all in the video, Apple laptops are notorious for bad board design causing the laptops to not even power on. Then, Apple has decided to solder SSDs onto their already bad boards meaning when the board does crap out on you, you just lost all your data too. Or how about when Apple used bad keyboards and RIVETED them on so replacing the keyboard is not only expensive ($200) but it is also an extreme pain the in ass. Whereas any normal laptop, you can replace a keyboard in 5 minutes while only costing about $20. If you buy Apple products, you are paying more money for something that is objectively worse.
I'm literally talking about bare consumer usage. I know about all that stuff and totally agree. My point was just that apple is fine for just done computer stuff and if nothing goes wrong. Although they do generally have pretty good support for basic issues and pretty shit support for anything beyond, especially if you don't want to pay extra money or ensure your data is good.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
I'm literally talking about bare consumer usage. I know about all that stuff and totally agree. My point was just that apple is fine for just done computer stuff and if nothing goes wrong. Although they do generally have pretty good support for basic issues and pretty shit support for anything beyond, especially if you don't want to pay extra money or ensure your data is good.
I was talking about the same basic usage. Apple's boards (or like that model with bad keyboards) breaks with light-to-normal use. Nothing is against say MacOS/iOS or software (even though I personally don't like it), it's about the hardware breaking for no reason. Yeah, it's fine when nothing goes wrong, but that fact that major stuff does go wrong at rather high rates is the problem. Everything is fine when nothing goes wrong.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I was talking about the same basic usage. Apple's boards (or like that model with bad keyboards) breaks with light-to-normal use. Nothing is against say MacOS/iOS or software (even though I personally don't like it), it's about the hardware breaking for no reason. Yeah, it's fine when nothing goes wrong, but that fact that major stuff does go wrong at rather high rates is the problem. Everything is fine when nothing goes wrong.
I've heard this but I've got enough clients that swear by mac products and I actually haven't seen any die this way. So I do think its not as common as some are saying. I still hate supporting them but I think rumors of their hardware faults are over exaggerated.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
I've heard this but I've got enough clients that swear by mac products and I actually haven't seen any die this way. So I do think its not as common as some are saying. I still hate supporting them but I think rumors of their hardware faults are over exaggerated.
There wouldn't be recalls if the issues were in the normal range. I worked at a place that gets in laptops (and all other pieces of tech) from places like Best Buy and other companies that retire their stuff and we'd resell it if it worked. Maybe 1 or 2 Apple laptops from an entire pallet made it to out to actual homes and avoided the wholesale pallets (AKA don't work pallets). Even the ones working ones that made it to me (to determine where they'd go) usually had some common error like the GPU kernal panic error would happen just testing the webcam in Photo Booth. Brands for the most part aren't really any better than other brands as each brand has models that suck or certain models would very commonly have case cracks in certain areas (near screen hinges is super common), but they'd still work. The thing with Apple is that stuff that breaks isn't stuff that should be breaking like board issues and CPUs. And, CPUs should be the last thing that breaks as they have no moving parts. Lastly, Apple doesn't fix engineering mistakes it knows it has.

Here's another video (only 4 minutes) on how very poor cooling on new MacBook Airs are causing the CPU itself to be replaced. If you look at even the cheapo laptops, you ain't going to find a cooling system that poor. And, guess what, the new 2020 model of the Airs are designed the same.

blahtest

Apr 3, 2020
Nothing worse than being a PC person and having coworkers expect you to know how to solve their Mac issues too because you're 'techy'

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
There wouldn't be recalls if the issues were in the normal range. I worked at a place that gets in laptops (and all other pieces of tech) from places like Best Buy and other companies that retire their stuff and we'd resell it if it worked. Maybe 1 or 2 Apple laptops from an entire pallet made it to out to actual homes and avoided the wholesale pallets (AKA don't work pallets). Even the ones working ones that made it to me (to determine where they'd go) usually had some common error like the GPU kernal panic error would happen just testing the webcam in Photo Booth. Brands for the most part aren't really any better than other brands as each brand has models that suck or certain models would very commonly have case cracks in certain areas (near screen hinges is super common), but they'd still work. The thing with Apple is that stuff that breaks isn't stuff that should be breaking like board issues and CPUs. And, CPUs should be the last thing that breaks as they have no moving parts. Lastly, Apple doesn't fix engineering mistakes it knows it has.

Here's another video (only 4 minutes) on how very poor cooling on new MacBook Airs are causing the CPU itself to be replaced. If you look at even the cheapo laptops, you ain't going to find a cooling system that poor. And, guess what, the new 2020 model of the Airs are designed the same.
That’s passive cooling. It’s common in low power devices such as phones or tablets. It’s a dumb idea for a workhorse laptop though. And in so much as he’s right; the guy in the video is a smug bastard.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
That’s passive cooling. It’s common in low power devices such as phones or tablets. It’s a dumb idea for a workhorse laptop though. And in so much as he’s right; the guy in the video is a smug bastard.
I know some processors can be passively cooled. My Dell laptop doesn't have a fan. If you put a fan in a laptop and it's not near the processor, why do you not have heat pipes running to the fan? It doesn't make any sense.

Yeah, he is a bit smug but it's probably due to all the stuff that Apple puts him through. Apple blocks repair people getting parts as much as they can so it's hard to get replacement chips that go bad on their boards and Apple has sued people for fixing their products. The guy in the video does literally go to Congress fighting for the simple "right to repair" that you'd think would just be a given. And, it goes far beyond just fixing laptops or phones, companies that make health care equipment are trying to block people from repairing that too.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I know some processors can be passively cooled. My Dell laptop doesn't have a fan. If you put a fan in a laptop and it's not near the processor, why do you not have heat pipes running to the fan? It doesn't make any sense.

Yeah, he is a bit smug but it's probably due to all the stuff that Apple puts him through. Apple blocks repair people getting parts as much as they can so it's hard to get replacement chips that go bad on their boards and Apple has sued people for fixing their products. The guy in the video does literally go to Congress fighting for the simple "right to repair" that you'd think would just be a given. And, it goes far beyond just fixing laptops or phones, companies that make health care equipment are trying to block people from repairing that too.
No he's not 'a bit smug', he's an insufferable cock-end I wouldn't want to deal with him. Being right - and he is right - does not mean his presentation isn't repellent. I hope he was both better mannered AND successful in his appeal to Congress.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
So perhaps the big question through all of this is,

All kidding aside, I haven't had a major hardware problem with either of the two iPhones (past or current), or iPad. But these are simple items that are marketed as being hassle-free so they'd conjure up a PR nightmare otherwise.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
So perhaps the big question through all of this is,

All kidding aside, I haven't had a major hardware problem with either of the two iPhones (past or current), or iPad. But these are simple items that are marketed as being hassle-free so they'd conjure up a PR nightmare otherwise.
Apple's mobile stuff is better than their other products. The main problem with iPhones is that they're overpriced. And, I can't even find a keyboard that puts a key for commas on the main keyboard.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
They're marketed to very basic users and kept to highly specific configurations which allots for allowing Apple to provide fairly consistent and reliable support, and also avoids compatibility issues with any reasonably well designed software.

Which is obviously a plus point to the less savvy, but yes, techs can handle their own support so it eliminates the major advantages out.

They are obviously focused on the mobile side more then the actual MACs nowadays. And the Pro line is mostly some sort of status-symbol appeal. The super-duper MAC Pro of the moment runs on some proprietary processor, which hinders its use much like the PS3 problem we're probably all familiar with. The other Laptop Pros are generally pricier then getting the desktop equivalent, and potentially even a similar laptop, while lacking the customization that actual professional use might require.

So by and large, your benefits are that all their toys play nicely together, and resolving most issues on said toys can be done via single source support (rather then scrambling around multiple companies sites or support lines for drivers and such)