The Red Dead Redemption Mod for GTA V has Been Shut Down

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
The Red Dead Redemption Mod for GTA V has Been Shut Down

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1400/1400265.jpgAfter a long time in production, the Red Dead Redemption V mod has been cancelled after Rockstar contacted the modders.

For the last three years or so, there's been a mod team working to port Rockstar's Red Dead Redemption to Grand Theft Auto V. We've seen some assets from the project here and there, but the first trailer was released on Friday. Unfortunately, that trailer was quickly targeted by Rockstar and taken down.

Shortly after the trailer was pulled, the project's leader, who goes by the name Mr. Leisurewear, posted on the GTAForums [http://gtaforums.com/topic/883655-wipv-red-dead-redemption-v/page-6#entry1069531243], saying,

"I know this is hard pill to swallow, but as you may have noticed we did get contacted, and we sadly have to say we are stopping this project. So thanks guys, we were all so happy to see this, but it isn't going to happen, sorry :/ :/ :/"

Mr. Leisurewear went on in a later post, explaining why the team chose to shut the project down, "And they can sue me for the fact i provide a tool that "Reverse engineers" their property which in the EU (where i am) are not mild on. And to be correct it is TakeTwo , but somewhere i can sense them for "protecting their label", but yeah sh*t happens "

While this may be disappointing, it is not surprising. This certainly is not the first mod to be shut down by the company that owns the rights to the game in question. Even though this mod would have only brought the RDR map to GTA V, there are still plenty of people who are upset by this outcome.

Meanwhile, Read Dead Redemption 2 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/168642-Red-Dead-Redemption-2-Officially-Confirmed] is still slated to release this fall.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Obviously.

I mean seriously why do these people even attempt this? And before you site Valve as an example with Black Mesa, Valve has a very unique Buisness policy where they thrive on these kinds of mods. (And to the point of having payed mods)

Every other game company does not and see no profit in it and they and they have other ways of making profit.

Candidus

Dec 17, 2009
Here's how you do this without getting shut down:

You put together a team of modders and unaffiliated programmers, then build the whole game or mod- RDRV, Megaman Legends 3, Baldur's Gate III, whatever you fancy. You don't make a peep until you finish it. "Go gold". Then Release it on torrents everywhere, and only THEN release a youtube trailer and anonymous statements.

Any other way is just asking for the IP owner to come waste years of your effort.

cikame

Jun 11, 2008
If the mod was just to stick the map into GTA5, and not have any real meaningful content from RDR then what's the harm?
They should just hurry up and put RDR on PC.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
ProfMcStevie said:
........or we rename it Blue Shoe Redemption.
Purple Monkey Dishwasher?

This outcome is inevitable but nonetheless I'm still sad because I was craving some John Marsden action the other day.

TrulyBritish

Jan 23, 2013
When are modders/fan game makers going to learn that if you're making something about someone else's intellectual property then you should keep your goddamn mouth shut until after you've released. There's been enough stories of mods being shut down for people to see how this can go.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
"Meanwhile, Read Dead Redemption 2 is still slated to release this fall."

And this is why it was shut down.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
RiseOfTheWhiteWolf said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Obviously.

I mean seriously why do these people even attempt this? And before you site Valve as an example with Black Mesa, Valve has a very unique Buisness policy where they thrive on these kinds of mods. (And to the point of having payed mods)

Every other game company does not and see no profit in it and they and they have other ways of making profit.
There are also the guys who are porting Oblivion and Morrowind to Skyrim.

The entire games mind, with quests and all, not just the map.
Apples and oranges. You will still need to own the full game of both games for the mod to actually work, the mod itself doesn't contain any content from the game expect for references to file locations.

MatthewTheDark

The Meme Machine
Jun 13, 2014
Candidus said:
Here's how you do this without getting shut down:

You put together a team of modders and unaffiliated programmers, then build the whole game or mod- RDRV, Megaman Legends 3, Baldur's Gate III, whatever you fancy. You don't make a peep until you finish it. "Go gold". Then Release it on torrents everywhere, and only THEN release a youtube trailer and anonymous statements.

Any other way is just asking for the IP owner to come waste years of your effort.
This honestly. I don't see why people don't get that advertising your mod that brings any sort of game to another is just begging to get stopped in its tracks. I get you want people to be excited for it, but doing this shit will only give you yourself to blame when all that time you spent gets wasted with a C&D order halfway through.

SmugFrog

Ribbit
Sep 4, 2008
RiseOfTheWhiteWolf said:

IIRC the mod makers are wanting to do so by requiring the player to supply files from Oblivion and Morrowind as assets, which requires owning the game. I'm not sure how they'll work that, and I think if Bethesda wasn't in agreement this mod would have already disappeared.

Magmarock said:
This is BS what gives then the right to shutdown a mod?
Using assets from a game that the player doesn't own. Depending on what they're porting over the player could have a (better) copy of Red Dead Redemption in their GTA V. If it was just the map... that doesn't make a whole lot of sense, unless they're using files ripped from RDR and not their own creation. They could have just changed the name to "Desert World Map" and legally been fine.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
TsunamiWombat said:
"Meanwhile, Read Dead Redemption 2 is still slated to release this fall."

And this is why it was shut down.
Isn't the game not slated for PC release, the only system the mod could work on?

ChaplainOrion

Nov 7, 2011
SmugFrog said:
RiseOfTheWhiteWolf said:

IIRC the mod makers are wanting to do so by requiring the player to supply files from Oblivion and Morrowind as assets, which requires owning the game. I'm not sure how they'll work that, and I think if Bethesda wasn't in agreement this mod would have already disappeared.
Actually I think they are making all the assets themselves. Skyblivion and Skywind are not porting assets because they would end up just like this mod. Hell both of them are even building up on the vanilla work done for both projects and adding in some cut assets and ideas.

SmugFrog

Ribbit
Sep 4, 2008
ChaplainOrion said:
Actually I think they are making all the assets themselves.
Oh wow, I haven't kept up with it since it was originally announced as an idea, just reading bits and pieces here and there. I don't know if that makes me worry more or less that Bethesda might shut it down. It's a shame when projects like this proceed along to near completion for the original developer to step in and shut things down.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
In a perfect world, this sort of thing would lead to a back-room deal calling in the programmers and saying, "Look, we currently don't have any interest in porting RDR to the PC. But why don't you have a go at it; if what you come up with passes muster we'll release it commercially for twenty bucks and cut you in for a slice."

Modders seem to be doing companies' work for them with some frequency these days anyway- fixing resolutions, unlocking frame rates, patching up bugs, and adding or re-introducing basic features that somehow never made it into the initial release. Seems like a win-win to me.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
The only silver lining to this is that maybe this means Take-Two plans to bring RDR to the PC finally. If not, them shutting it down makes them look like a bunch of dick bags, nothing more. At that point there would be no loss of profits so the reason to shut it down is retarded.