The Responsibility of the Tutorial

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I just learned that you can actually "Kustomize" the characters special moves into a different load out. So Some characters could be charge characters by default, but you have directional stuff you can unlock and then Kustomize with them to make their play style work better for you.

I've also discovered how to break the AI in AI battles, to make it almost impossible for your AI to lose a match. Which was a free way to get Koins while i had to play wow last night.
Yeah and it’s an easy trophy or two too. I had good results using Noob Saibot with all points going into combos and counters. It’s pretty cool that they have this because it takes the grind out of a lot of the Tower stuff. Although I probably still only used them for maybe 2% of my total playtime, if that.

Using Konsumables can also make quick work out of a lot of the live towers, especially the ones with ridiculous modifiers. Takeda’s Kunai, Special Forces Radio, and Meteorite Core are all terrific even on Brutal towers. A good reference for recipes in the Krypt.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
Actually most characters in MK do have directional stuff, which can also be shortcut as QTR circle back/forward. They just don’t really use the top half of the dpad or off-kilter rotations. Command grabs are about as complex as it gets for specials, where it’ll be DBF plus face buttons or some combination of them here and there.

What’s surprising is that recent MK games are significantly quicker than SF, so having the quickest possible input patterns help to facilitate that pace. MK11 dialed the speed back a bit in terms of rush down style mechanics (replacing running with dashing mostly), but the general pacing is still on the snappier side. This also might explain why the combo strings are mostly dialed in, whereas the juggling and extending combos off of that are what require more specific timings.
No of course they have directionals, I said they don't have diagonals. Like if you do the ice move with sub zero you hit down forward (or down back whatever it is haha) whereas in any fighter with a standard projectile you'd have to hit down>diagonally down forward>forward. Having the diagonal be part of the input increases the inputs you can do because you can also do forward>down>downforward which is the reversals. (btw I'm so used to numpad notation and it's killing me to write inputs out like this XD, everyone should go out and check out numpad notation)

Attachments

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Yeah and it’s an easy trophy or two too. I had good results using Noob Saibot with all points going into combos and counters. It’s pretty cool that they have this because it takes the grind out of a lot of the Tower stuff. Although I probably still only used them for maybe 2% of my total playtime, if that.

Using Konsumables can also make quick work out of a lot of the live towers, especially the ones with ridiculous modifiers. Takeda’s Kunai, Special Forces Radio, and Meteorite Core are all terrific even on Brutal towers. A good reference for recipes in the Krypt.
I gotta say, I actually really really love the AI fighter system. I've spent a lot of time, modifying Cassie Cage, tweaking her AI behaviors, and watching her beat ass in Towers of Time. Then when she does lose, I go into the system and try to change her supers or tweak the AI a little to figure out why she lost. Then go back and watch her beat face.

In fact I did this for about an hour and a half last night and earned a cool 1 million coins. Which then took me another 45 minutes to use in the krypt.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
No of course they have directionals, I said they don't have diagonals. Like if you do the ice move with sub zero you hit down forward (or down back whatever it is haha) whereas in any fighter with a standard projectile you'd have to hit down>diagonally down forward>forward. Having the diagonal be part of the input increases the inputs you can do because you can also do forward>down>downforward which is the reversals. (btw I'm so used to numpad notation and it's killing me to write inputs out like this XD, everyone should go out and check out numpad notation)

I’ve never played fighting games on PC with numpad but might actually give it a try. I guess the literal diagonals being a part of the input commands is what was making some of the SF stuff tough for me then. Like doing a half circle plus that extra diagonal was tough to do accurately; kinda making aiming with analog sticks seem easy. I’m also guessing shortcuts wouldn’t really apply there since each direction is a specific part of the input needing to register.

In MK there are shortcuts in the options for dpad inputs so the command will still register even if doing circular motions for something like BF or QTR circle DB, etc. This thread kinda explains more.

As for diagonals allowing more precise types of commands, that must be more for other fighters besides SF, because if you look at a random character’s move set there vs one from MK, the latter pretty much dwarfs it. Basically it would seem SF’s depth is more from how each move type is applied vs the sheer number of moves available.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
I’ve never played fighting games on PC with numpad but might actually give it a try. I guess the literal diagonals being a part of the input commands is what was making some of the SF stuff tough for me then. Like doing a half circle plus that extra diagonal was tough to do accurately; kinda making aiming with analog sticks seem easy. I’m also guessing shortcuts wouldn’t really apply there since each direction is a specific part of the input needing to register.

In MK there are shortcuts in the options for dpad inputs so the command will still register even if doing circular motions for something like BF or QTR circle DB, etc. This thread kinda explains more.

As for diagonals allowing more precise types of commands, that must be more for other fighters besides SF, because if you look at a random character’s move set there vs one from MK, the latter pretty much dwarfs it. Basically it would seem SF’s depth is more from how each move type is applied vs the sheer number of moves available.
Numpad notation has nothing to do with playing on the numpad. It's a way of shortening combo notation by using numbers instead of words that are quicker to type out, which is something useful when listing long combos back to back in an archive or database. It's also integral when communicating with people who speak a different language than you and don't know what things like "down" or "forward" means but do know what 2 or 6 mean, which happen often because a lot of the players of these games are from Asian countries. Being able to break the language barrier and exchange tech is huge.

It was adapted because it's easy to figure out by looking down on your numpad.

And no you can have shortucts, for example an instant airdash is doable with a 96 input because 9 has 8 and 6 so it counts as a single press of 6 while also counting as a jump, cutting your inputs down from the 866 input you'd think you wanna do. It's just different sort of shortcuts.