The Results Are In: The Third Skullgirls DLC Character Is Eliza

Naqel

Nov 21, 2009
mad825 said:
I agree sadly enough, the most wildly imaginative characters (which were mostly male) got voted out pretty quick...
I'm sorry, but which male characters do you refer to, and what was so much more imaginative about them to be disappointed with Eliza?

I mean, all of Skullgirls characters are twists and exaggerations of some trope or another, and hardly any of them can be bashed for being unoriginal(or praised for being 'original-er') more than the others, especially when you look even an inch deeper than the appearance.

Eliza actually has a cool gameplay twist behind her, not as mind blowing as Issac but certainly equally 'never seen before'.

waj9876

Jan 14, 2012
Huh...Is it weird that I've never heard of this character until it was announced that she won? I always thought that Minuette one was winning, definitely the most hype on the Internet was about her. Disappointed she didn't win, was rooting for her.

I didn't vote, as you can tell.

TheTygre

Jun 17, 2009
Thus begins the second wave of the great waifu wars...

chikusho said:
I voted for Black Dahlia. Where's the love people?
Don't worry, brother. We will have our time.

We. Will. Have. Our. Time.

RedmistSM

Jan 30, 2010
waj9876 said:
Huh...Is it weird that I've never heard of this character until it was announced that she won? I always thought that Minuette one was winning, definitely the most hype on the Internet was about her. Disappointed she didn't win, was rooting for her.

I didn't vote, as you can tell.
In my case, while Eliza wasn't the character I wanted to win the most, she was fifth on my list. As the poll went on, more and more of my other top 4 were knocked off until only she was the only one left, so she got a vote from me in almost every round. I don't think that's true for everyone, obviously, but I wonder how the results are going to change during the second poll, which uses the system where you give your number one three points, your second pick two points etc.

There's no point in listening to internet hype, anyway. The ones that post fanart on tumblr and make stupid memes about the characters are only a small percentage of the voters.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Eliza would be my fourth choice, but I don't mind her winning.

Mine would be Black Dahlia, Aeon or Samson.

Aeon being my favourite out of the three. Black Dahlia looks cool, but her weapon reminds me of the TF2 Demo Man a little too much, and Samson is technically already a character, seeing as he is Filia's hair.

Grahav

Mar 13, 2009
She is very tune with the current cast. Woman/girl with monster attributes.

Also, it is nice to have a new dreadfull villain.

I was just hoping that the characters that the plot needs more (Umbrella, Marie and Dahlia according to Lab Zero) had gotten in first. Oh, well.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
I see people drawing a comparison with this and the Dragon's Crown hoo haa. It's a fair point, and as someone who has sided with Kotaku, yet defended Skullgirls, I feel like I should explain myself out of what looks like an obvious contradiction.

I tend to be more accepting of games like DoA or Skullgirls, because I recognise that there probably should be a niche for cheese cake in gaming, and that DoA and Skullgirls have no delusions about sitting anywhere but within that niche. They are the Empowered of gaming - they know what they are, and don't pretend to be anything else.

But then there are games like Crown, or indeed many fighting games, hack and slash, and fantasy RPGs, in which women are all portrayed in a cheese cake style, despite staring alongside a cast of diverse and sensibly dressed males. Even Skullgirls, which aims to be cheese cake, has more conservatively dressed and proportioned characters than Crown. That's what grinds my gears; there is a tendency in games to treat all their female characters as fan service, even in those that have no explicit aim to provide wank fodder. Too often, the only depictions of women in fantasy games are that of sexy, sparsely dressed women. I imagine that if we lived in a backwards world, in which most games would only feature men if they appeared as semi-naked speedos models, I and many men might feel a little uncomfortable, bored, and discouraged from playing them. As it happens, many women feel that way about games right now, rolling their eyes at "breast plates" and ass shots. I know I do, even when this shit is there to appeal to me.

So that's the difference. I think there is a place for skimpy girls in games, but they should either be within their own niche, or they should be the exception, and not the rule, in other genres.

FFP2

Dec 24, 2012
These next two months are gonna be so hard to get through...

Eliza's character design looks really good... what kind of moveset does she have?

KOMega

Aug 30, 2010

I heard Molly might be fighting in one of these.
Otherwise I'd love to have Stanley in the game.

EstrogenicMuscle

Sep 7, 2012
Eh, out of the four finalists, Eliza was the one that interested me the least.

I won't be a spoil sport about it, though. Congratulations to Eliza fans.

Now I just need Annie. Though since all of the three left are characters I'm at least remotely interested in, unlike Eliza. Because again, Eliza is the only one of these current top four I really didn't want.

Still, I want Annie. Gimme Annie.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Man are we still talking about this games DLC?

How bout fixing that God-awful tutorial? "Our tutorial is the best at helping newcomers." LIES!!!

PrototypeC

Apr 19, 2009
EstrogenicMuscle said:
Still, I want Annie. Gimme Annie.
I don't get it. I can imagine Annie in a hundred different games than this one, fitting right in. This is a game where over-the-top, crazy characters are what makes it what it is. Besides "little girl with knife", what's her backstory? She's from that in-game show, right?

The Gentleman said:
Because Stanley is a f-cking shark. He's an implanted laser beam away from being the greatest thing that ever lived. And if the lab coat is any indication, it's only a matter of time before he gets that laserbeam...
*psst - he's got a laser beam... and a jetpack*

I'll tell you who I'm NOT interested in - anyone who is already represented with a better character. Umbrella, Roxie, Adam, Molly and Panzerfaust (although he is cool) are represented by Parasoul. Can you imagine any of these loyal-to-a-fault soldiers fighting her to the death? There's Samson, who is basically a brawlier Filia minus her kicks, and Andy who is just a less interesting cartoon-themed character based on Peacock (doesn't she use anvils in some of her attacks too?).

I find Leduc, Ottomo and Brain Drain the most interesting... only problem is they're all guys, which kind of goes against the point somewhat. From a purely gameplay perspective, Roxie is interesting with her tires, oil, machinery-type theme, but again, she's a Black Egret. Wait, hang on... Ileum isn't a character already?

Diddy_Mao

Jan 14, 2009
Ladies and Gentlemen.

There was an option for a bipedal Shark Scientist (whom I will assume to be named Professor Stanley Von Doctorshark.)
and it didn't win?

This is why we can't have nice things.

"Nice things" here expanded to include Mad Scientist shark men.