The Revival of Neverwinter Nights Campaign

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Tayh said:
Saelune said:
$20 one time to get the best online Roleplaying experience I have ever experienced? Fuck yeah.

Just bringing back out of box online functionality is more than worth the price of admission.
Yes.
http://www.nwnlist.com/#
Because obviously nobody's managing to play online with the original game.
No, I dont want to jump through a bunch of shitty hoops just to play online.

I want online that works as part of the game. That doesnt count. Plus the addition of Steam functionallity? Wooboy, major population increase!

zordren3742

Feb 14, 2018
The game is still in beta and there is a lot of work left to be done. The player base will not grow back over night, that is what these post are about, letting people know. Every server on that list 2 weeks ago that that list had less than 200 people right now i'm looking it has has 611. I don't expect this game to become as popular as pubg or anything but it is cool to see people coming back.

baddude1337

Taffer
Jun 9, 2010
Bobular said:
Are they going to bring back the Premium modules? Because I bought all of them and can't play them these days (thanks DRM).
Actually, you can, even if you don't own the download only ones:

https://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn1/module/bioware-premium-modules

https://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn1/other/tool/premium-module-offline-authenticator-generator

Have the Diamond edition off GOG and Infinite Dungeons, Pirates and Wyvern Crown all work fine.

Bobular

Oct 7, 2009
baddude1337 said:
Bobular said:
Are they going to bring back the Premium modules? Because I bought all of them and can't play them these days (thanks DRM).
Actually, you can, even if you don't own the download only ones:

https://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn1/module/bioware-premium-modules

https://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn1/other/tool/premium-module-offline-authenticator-generator

Have the Diamond edition off GOG and Infinite Dungeons, Pirates and Wyvern Crown all work fine.
So does this work for the original version or just the GOG version?

Tayh

Apr 6, 2009
Saelune said:

I want online that works as part of the game. That doesnt count. Plus the addition of Steam functionallity? Wooboy, major population increase!
So... You don't want to play online?
Most of those PW's have custom content packs that you need to download, from their website, in order to play on the server. For the ones where you don't, all you have to do is enter the direct IP once and then save the server as a favourite.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Tayh said:
Saelune said:

So... You don't want to play online?
Most of those PW's have custom content packs that you need to download, from their website, in order to play on the server. For the ones where you don't, all you have to do is enter the direct IP once and then save the server as a favourite.
You say this as if this doesnt support my argument why this EE is a great thing.

Tayh

Apr 6, 2009
Saelune said:
You say this as if this doesnt support my argument why this EE is a great thing.
Because your argument doesn't make much sense.
You say you want the EE version so you can play online, but there's nothing stopping you from playing online now.
When the EE is out, you're still going to have to "jump through a bunch of shitty hoops" in order to play online.
valve provides the steam functionality(which is only included in the steam-drm version of the EE, I believe), so you're still just paying 20$ for a couple of minor, graphical tweaks.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
This made me realise that I have the original game on my GoG account (somehow).
Downloaded, and installed; another game I'm hopefully able to sink my teeth into.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Tayh said:
Saelune said:
Because your argument doesn't make much sense.
You say you want the EE version so you can play online, but there's nothing stopping you from playing online now.
When the EE is out, you're still going to have to "jump through a bunch of shitty hoops" in order to play online.
valve provides the steam functionality(which is only included in the steam-drm version of the EE, I believe), so you're still just paying 20$ for a couple of minor, graphical tweaks.
No hoops on Steam. I click multiplayer, I pick a server, and Im in.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Tayh said:
Saelune said:
No hoops on Steam. I click multiplayer, I pick a server, and Im in.
I feel like you forgot to read my post before replying to it.
No, you keep saying things that I dont want to do as if they are simpler than what it should be.

Whats stopping me from playing NWN online now is having to go to third party sites to find extra info to learn how to go through extra hoops to play on sparsley populated servers.

With it out on Steam with integrated multiplayer, not only will getting online be simpler, but the number of people consistently playing is going to significantly increase.

Tayh

Apr 6, 2009
Saelune said:
Whats stopping me from playing NWN online now is having to go to third party sites to find extra info to learn how to go through extra hoops to play on sparsley populated servers.
... And I'm saying, you're still going to have to do that, EE or not.
And seriously, if downloading a hakpak is what's stopping you from hopping on a PW, right now, and playing on it, then I seriously doubt your commitment.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Tayh said:
Saelune said:
... And I'm saying, you're still going to have to do that, EE or not.
And seriously, if downloading a hakpak is what's stopping you from hopping on a PW, right now, and playing on it, then I seriously doubt your commitment.
Im not. Im going to click "Multiplayer" and a big ol list of servers will pop up, and I will pick one, and then make/choose my character. Easy peazy.

4Aces

May 29, 2012
With the way Beamdog took it upon themselves to make the previous D&D games 'better' through dubious gameplay changes, I will probably stick with the originals. It would be nice if they eventually learned, or at least found a game designer that could blend their new ideas into the classic system(s). But that would be hoping, and hope leads to the dark side. As does loot boxes, and pre-orders.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Arnoxthe1 said:
Tayh said:
I'll be much more excited when they eventually, inevitably, tackle NWN2. That game really needs the overhaul.
Forget NWN2. Divinity: Original Sin 2 is the NWN2 we should have gotten.
Do you mean, a really good story and characters that try to carry you through the seemingly good but utter broken gameplay mechanics that eventually ground you down until I don't know whether to call this a good game or not?
Actually, I heard NWN2 was exactly like that but I never got around to play it.
Divinity has so much going for it, but it undercuts itself. I probably still would call it good, but with a bitter taste.

4Aces said:
With the way Beamdog took it upon themselves to make the previous D&D games 'better' through dubious gameplay changes, I will probably stick with the originals. It would be nice if they eventually learned, or at least found a game designer that could blend their new ideas into the classic system(s). But that would be hoping, and hope leads to the dark side. As does loot boxes, and pre-orders.
Yes becuase Baulder's Gate combat is what makes that game great. I don't think Beamdog added much but they certainly didn't make it worse - as it was pretty low already

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
trunkage said:
Do you mean, a really good story and characters that try to carry you through the seemingly good but utter broken gameplay mechanics that eventually ground you down until I don't know whether to call this a good game or not?
Actually, I heard NWN2 was exactly like that but I never got around to play it.
Divinity has so much going for it, but it undercuts itself. I probably still would call it good, but with a bitter taste.
NWN2 felt like it regressed from its predecessor in many ways. I heard Mask of the Betrayer was good, story-wise, but that's literally the only good thing I can say about it. They even took out the fantastic character portraits in NWN and replaced them with these lame generic little pictures. I think it was just death by a thousand cuts here.

trunkage said:
Yes becuase Baulder's Gate combat is what makes that game great. I don't think Beamdog added much but they certainly didn't make it worse - as it was pretty low already
Yeah. I agree with this. BG1/2 used this armor system from a pretty old D&D ruleset that was just astoundingly broken. It's actually the main reason why I'm not playing those.

Naldan

You Are Interested. Certainly.
Feb 25, 2015
Wasn't Beamdog developing BG 3 as well? What about that?

When I think back to the shitty original expansion pack by Beamdog to BG 2, I really hope they leave everything story-wise alone and don't even think about making their own game.

Tayh

Apr 6, 2009
Saelune said:
Im not. Im going to click "Multiplayer" and a big ol list of servers will pop up, and I will pick one, and then make/choose my character. Easy peazy.
Yeah... Good luck with that.
Considering EE will need its own EE-PWs, already-established server admins will have to decide whether it's worth alienating their entire current playerbase, in favour of whoever buys this NWN1-EE version, to migrate their servers to EE - or if they're just going to stick with 1.69 and its client extensions, custom scripts, hakpaks and other miscellaneous 1.69-specific content.
And if they're building a vanilla PW from scratch, it'll probably take a while, at least, before it'll even be in a playable state.

Regardless, my claim that this release is overhyped still stands.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Tayh said:
Saelune said:
Yeah... Good luck with that.
Considering EE will need its own EE-PWs, already-established server admins will have to decide whether it's worth alienating their entire current playerbase, in favour of whoever buys this NWN1-EE version, to migrate their servers to EE - or if they're just going to stick with 1.69 and its client extensions, custom scripts, hakpaks and other miscellaneous 1.69-specific content.
And if they're building a vanilla PW from scratch, it'll probably take a while, at least, before it'll even be in a playable state.

Regardless, my claim that this release is overhyped still stands.
Clearly you arent paying attention to any news about this game.

Tayh

Apr 6, 2009
Saelune said:
Clearly you arent paying attention to any news about this game.
Or maybe I am! Dun dun dunnn!

... What? We're past the part where we're trying to present an argument to the other person, aren't we?
Oh shit, I accidentally typed more than a single sentence in my snarky reply.