The Revival of Neverwinter Nights Campaign

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Naldan said:
Wasn't Beamdog developing BG 3 as well? What about that?

When I think back to the shitty original expansion pack by Beamdog to BG 2, I really hope they leave everything story-wise alone and don't even think about making their own game.
Am I misremembering. I thought there was just an extra major quest by Beamdog

Also, after Pillars of Eternity, I don't know if those old guys have much to say anyway. I'll guess we'll see in a couple of months

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Tayh said:
Saelune said:
Clearly you arent paying attention to any news about this game.
Or maybe I am! Dun dun dunnn!

... What? We're past the part where we're trying to present an argument to the other person, aren't we?
Oh shit, I accidentally typed more than a single sentence in my snarky reply.
Its not an argument. Its you clearly havent paid attention to Beamdog repeatedly talk about how they want everything to be basically backwards compatible and you're just hung up on wanting to hate on this game ahead of time cause how DARE they try to bring an old game back to life.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Saelune said:
Tayh said:
Saelune said:

... What? We're past the part where we're trying to present an argument to the other person, aren't we?
Its not an argument. Its you clearly havent paid attention to Beamdog repeatedly talk about how they want everything to be basically backwards compatible and you're just hung up on wanting to hate on this game ahead of time cause how DARE they try to bring an old game back to life.
Having worked on technical side of nwn servers. He's not wrong. They can try and be backwards compatible as they like, and they'll still break something. Bioware kept doing it everytime and they didn't have ten years of dust and the effort of going through someone elses documentation and code to deal with.

As haks (which almost every existing server at this point uses) go, with the way NWN works they can't avoid overriding them without actually incorporating them. If they don't add anything, its something of a seamless fix, but still requires going through and re-appending your custom content onto all the game files.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Seth Carter said:
Saelune said:
Tayh said:
Saelune said:

Having worked on technical side of nwn servers. He's not wrong. They can try and be backwards compatible as they like, and they'll still break something. Bioware kept doing it everytime and they didn't have ten years of dust and the effort of going through someone elses documentation and code to deal with.

As haks (which almost every existing server at this point uses) go, with the way NWN works they can't avoid overriding them without actually incorporating them. If they don't add anything, its something of a seamless fix, but still requires going through and re-appending your custom content onto all the game files.
If they want to stay on the old way with their hoops, thats fine. But it is very clear that Steam compatibility is going to be a HUGE boost to the community, especially with all the new people who never got around to NWN the first time for whatever reason.

I value ease of use, and that is what EE is giving me.

Tayh

Apr 6, 2009
Saelune said:
Yeah. That applies to vanilla singleplayer modules and saves. Not multiplayer persistent worlds.
I'm not hating EE. I'm saying I think it's overhyped, overvalued and I think you're overestimating the boost steam will provide.
The people who are interested in playing NWN1 online are already doing so.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Tayh said:
Saelune said:
Yeah. That applies to vanilla singleplayer modules and saves. Not multiplayer persistent worlds.
I'm not hating EE. I'm saying I think it's overhyped, overvalued and I think you're overestimating the boost steam will provide.
The people who are interested in playing NWN1 online are already doing so.
All the people excited for this disagree.

Carlo One

Feb 4, 2013
This is a bit of a thread necro, but I don't see any newer discussions about NWN:EE that are similar.

Having recently gotten back full throttle into the Neverwinter Nights community, thanks to the Enhanced Edition, I have to say that for multiplayer NWN:EE really has given things a new lease on life. And there should be (fingers crossed) some more development to come.

I've run a weekly NWN campaign since 2004 (including a couple periods on hiatus), having started it out at the old Neverwinter Connections, and in January converted it over to using NWN:EE. The graphics for modern monitors and the new/revived MP features from Beamdog really do make a difference to the current experience, plus it's significantly faster and more stable, including in the toolset, than my copy of NWN Diamond is on the same computer.

One major difference nowadays is that multiplayer revolves even more around a fragmented persistent world (PW) community than it used to, I think in part due to the demise of the old Neverwinter Connections site (neverwinterconnections.com) in 2012. Now that the new Neverwinter Connections has been re-launched at https://neverwinterconnections.org I'm hopeful that both PW and more classic D&D style campaigns and DM'd modules can be promoted and supported across the multiplayer community.