The Rock Wants to Do a Black Ops Movie

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
The Rock Wants to Do a Black Ops Movie

Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson wasn't thrilled with how Doom turned out, but he'd like to give videogame movies another try.

2005's Doom was an interesting attempt at (once again) bringing videogames to the big screen. Like most other attempts with the exception of the first Mortal Kombat - which was still pretty bad but had a cheesy charm to it - it didn't do so well. Not even Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson and his BFG could save it from being anything more than a mediocre action flick.

Despite the flop of Doom and the collapse of the pre-production Spy Hunter movie, Johnson isn't ruling out another videogame movie. Speaking with MTV Movies [http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2011/04/04/the-rock-wants-in-on-a-call-of-duty-black-ops-movie/], The Rock said that he might jump on board another project if the "right one" came along.

"I thought we had an opportunity with Doom," Johnson admitted. "[It] didn't work out the way we wanted it to, creatively. But yeah, if the right opportunity came along and the script is good, sure."

When asked if The Rock had a dream project to cook up, Johnson responded immediately: "[Call of Duty] Black Ops, that'd be bad ass.Let's make it happen, let's do it," he said. One can only surmise that he was being serious, though his second choice threw that slightly into doubt: "That and Black Swan 2."

I don't know about you guys, but I would totally watch a Black Ops movie starring The Rock and Ed Harris [http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2010/11/23/ed-harris-call-of-duty-black-ops-2/], but there would have to be some alterations to the plot.

Instead of doing all of those silly missions, just make the movie an hour and a half of The Rock doing elbow drops on Commies during the Cold War. Come on, that would be awesome!

(MTV Multiplayer [http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2011/04/04/the-rock-wants-in-on-a-call-of-duty-black-ops-movie/])

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
Black Ops is already a movie. I mean, I haven't even moved a few meters ahead amidst a cloud of Michael bay-ish explosions before another another cutscene with more explosions or flashes play out.

Also, I actually enjoyed Doom. > . >

Bretty

Jul 15, 2008
Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson in..... Black Swan 2: Stuck in Pink

lol, I couldn't help myself.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Blech, poor misguided Dwayne. I would love to see you in a successful videogame movie, I literally enjoy your acting. But that would be a mistake. The worst part is that by the time that movie came out, they would be several more iterations along in the game series. And then because it was Call of Duty, it wouldn't do well.

As one more tip, when Uwe Boll calls about directing, shoot him in the face. That guy has had way too much to do with horrible videogame movies.

Veloxe

Oct 5, 2010
I think this would be a perfect mindless summer blockbuster. Make it happen Rock!

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Errg.

Anyone who thinks Black Ops has the potential for a movie needs their head checked for leaks.

Well... I guess it could be done. But it would just be yet another espionage drama about American supermen saving the free world from evil Russians.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that the Black Ops movie has already been made. Several dozen times in fact.

Grond Strong

Mar 16, 2011
The Rock in a Black Ops movie? Sure, why not? But they better do it quick! Videogames stick around only until the next sequel comes out and if the movie is produced long after people are finished being interested in Black Ops (except for a few hardcore fans) then they might have another fluke on their hands. A wise Dwayne Johnson would find whatever the developers of a videogame he adores are going to do years from now and plan a movie on that one and release it shortly after the videogame. Then it might do some damage.

But heck, I'll still watch it. Just so long as they stick to the videogame premise by adding a cheesy plot, lots of explosions, and napalm. I'm sold.

koschei8

Aug 31, 2010
His name isn't the Rock anymore. It's Dwayne Johnson or more appropriately The Tooth Fairy.

Crystalite

Apr 2, 2010
I, for one, would totally watch Black Swan 2 with the Rock!

But Blops? Meh... That does not even have a story. There are so many cool badass shooters out there, and even some with (some) resemblance to a plot, why not one of them?

Cat of Doom

Jan 6, 2011
Zhukov said:
Errg.

Anyone who thinks Black Ops has the potential for a movie needs their head checked for leaks.

Well... I guess it could be done. But it would just be yet another espionage drama about American supermen saving the free world from evil Russians.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that the Black Ops movie has already been made. Several dozen times in fact.
SPOILER

american superman, mason killed (or attempted to) kill kennady.

tbh, I diddnt think the black ops plot was that bad. The end twist had me fooled (saying that I am pretty gulibule).

Jakub324

Jan 23, 2011
Video game films that worked: Hitman and Doom, but I think CoD4, MW2, and Black Ops could work too.

Feb 13, 2008

[HEADING=2]FINALLY...[/HEADING]

[HEADING=3]The ROCK has come back.[/HEADING]

I really liked Doom, it was pretty daft, and actually had a story.

And the BFG moment...ooh sir.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Well, to be honest I like "The Rock" however what I think he needs is a James Cameron like figure to help him develop some decent action movie projects. I think "The Rock" suffers from the same basic problem as Vin Diesel in not being able to pick good material to do, and like Vin Diesel, he's getting on in the years now.

Doing another video game inspired movie isn't a great idea, I think rather he needs to look towards some serious sci-fi/action material being developed, and go with that. He's an okay actor within his sphere (comedy and action) and still has a great physique, along with the abillity to do good fight choreography.

As ironic as this sounds, I'd think the right career move would be for him to try and get into a leading role, as either hero or villain, in something like "Avatar 2". Not nessicarly that series, but an "original" production of that level. He needs a "Terminator" or "Total Recall" or two.

Right now his biggest successes seem to be doing parody of an action-movie career he never actually had... though I *DO* suppose his backround as a pro-wrestler does sort of count as an action career, but still it isn't quite the kind of movie action-hero he seems to spoof.

Don't know him personally of course, but from what I've seen he seems like a decent guy, I wish him success. Whether this is a joke or not, I hope he doesn't get tied to another video game movie like that. I think he needs to be a bit more selective instead of taking what seems to be an "any work, is good work" attitude when it comes to this kind of thing.

As far as "Black Swan 2" goes, all jokes aside, I could maybe see him doing a dance movie, not that one of course, but it's possible. While superficially that seems like a joke, he might have that kind of a backround, a lot of guys who do fight choreography and the like study dance (it's very common for a lot of hong kong action stars, I believe a few big names were from The Peking ballet), people sometimes make jokes about it, but it's possible The Rock could pull that off. Don't forget that both Patrick Swayze and Kevin Bacon did very successful dance movies, along with turns at action type roles. Patrick Swayze did "Roadhouse" for example which is arguably a genere classic.

Mr.Amakir

Jun 2, 2010
The Rock should be in a Half-Life movie, that would be awesome if done right. Speaking about Black Ops that game is already a movie, i mean sure it is marketed as a game and is interactive but it pretty much plays out like a movie anyway and the only thing i as a player need to do is to stay alive.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
The Rock HAS to be the commy bad guy.

His signature move is 'the people's elbow' for crying out loud. It just makes sense and you know it!

Plus it mean Ed Harris gets to pick a fight with him, how badass would that be?