The Room Goes From Bad Movie to Great Game

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
The Room Goes From Bad Movie to Great Game

Cult film The Room has been adapted into a point-and-click adventure game that is surprisingly fun.

It seems like the latest way to celebrate bad movies is to create a videogame tribute. Earlier this summer, the widely-despised surgical horror film The Human Centipede was <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/100909-The-Human-Centipede-Receives-Video-Game-Tribute-Parody>given a game adaptation that was kind of funny, but left me feeling a little icky when I played it. Now, The Room has received its own videogame send-up on Flash games site Newgrounds, and it's actually pretty brilliant.

If you're not familiar with <a href=http://www.amazon.com/Juliette-Danielle-Sestero-Haldiman-Carolyn/dp/B000CFYAMC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1283968181&sr=8-1>The Room, it's one of those films that falls under the "so terrible it's amazing" heading. Tommy Wiseau - the man who wrote, starred, and produced the movie - intended it be a serious drama about a good man betrayed by his fiancée and best friend, but the movie has instead developed a rabid cult following based on its awfulness; midnight screenings with audience participation are now commonplace.

The tribute game was created by Newgrounds founder Tom Fulp and artist Jeff Bandelin; it's a point-and-click adventure with 16-Bit graphics that tells the story of The Room from the perspective of Johnny, Wiseau's character. It wisely sidesteps the numerous sex scenes in the movie by fading to black, though there's still plenty of pixelated nudity to be seen (meaning this is definitely NSFW). It also pokes a lot of fun at the idiot plot of the movie and highlights just how bizarre the characters' behavior is.

I first watched The Room when it appeared on Adult Swim. While I enjoyed its absurdity, I have to say that this game is immensely more fun than its source material (largely thanks to the tongue-in-cheek attitude). The game itself is a great point-and-click adventure on its own, but I highly recommend watching the movie first so you can get all the references and jokes.

Source: <a href=http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/547307>Newgrounds via <a href=http://www.gameculture.com/2010/09/07/room-point-and-click-8-bit-adventure-game>Game Culture

L3m0n_L1m3

Jul 27, 2009
Ah yes, I just played this yesterday. It's surprisingly a lot of fun; some good humour, mini games, and even collectables and achievements.

That, and it makes the story somewhat tolerable! Yay!

Coop83

Mar 20, 2010
A very well thought through game, making some wonderful references to a cult film and even making DVD sales increase, according to Tom Fulp, one of the game's creators. They really went to town with making a fantastic piece and if any of the other subtle jokes within their productions are anything to go by, we can expect more quality games from these talented individuals.

Ranooth

BEHIND YOU!!
Mar 26, 2008
Hopefully Wiseau studios doesn't try to shut this down like they did with The Nostalgia Critic's review

silver wolf009

[[NULL]]
Jan 23, 2010
Oh god no, why would anyone look at that game and tink, "This would be better if it was interactive!"

Why cant we just bury that movie and move on?

Outright Villainy

Jan 19, 2010
silver wolf009 said:
Oh god no, why would anyone look at that game and tink, "This would be better if it was interactive!"

Why cant we just bury that movie and move on?
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Ptitlethsq3mffp09i?from=Main.SoBadItsGood
We nerds love this shit.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Of all the things, I would have nevexd expected, lol.

Should be fun

Nieroshai

Aug 20, 2009
Are you being ordered by John from theroommovie.com to give this a good review or else? I'll try it out, but I've noticed that a lot of sites *cough*thatguywiththeglasses.com*cough* were threatened with defamation lawsuits for giving the film poor reviews. If this is the case, grow some balls. If the game is good, Tommy Wiseau had nothing to do with its production.

SextusMaximus

Nightingale Assassin
May 20, 2009
"I did not play it! I did not play it! I did NAHT! I DID NAAAAHT"

Oh HAI Escapist!

/bad joke

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
I already played through it. Really loved how every shop has a "doggie" or how the game portrays Danny.

Almost makes the movie's existance worthwile.

chronobreak

Sep 6, 2008
Eh, didn't much care for the game. Go here, do this, take a shower, go there, pick that up, take a shower, play football... nothing really great about it at all.

Skizle

Feb 12, 2009
chronobreak said:
Eh, didn't much care for the game. Go here, do this, take a shower, go there, pick that up, take a shower, play football... nothing really great about it at all.
Im going to guess you've never seen the film then.

OT: could this be the first video game thats actually better than the movie?