The Samsung Odyssey Ark may be the coolest single monitor I have ever seen.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
The Samsung Odyssey Ark may be the coolest single monitor I have ever seen.

I saw a guy do 3 55" TVs which was cool but this?

55" Curve 4K Samsung 100 lb 165 hz. Free Sync so I'll need a AMD card if I want that I think.

The thing costs $3 K at newegg.com.

I buy my next rig February 2024. It's going to be a big challenge saving up for this in that time.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Blimey that's big. The vertical multi-view idea would be cool if it wouldn't wreck my neck looking at stuff way up there. I could see that being useful horizontally though

Reactions: gorfias

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
Also confirm that your desk is able to carry a 100 lb point load. If it's a tempered glass desk it probably can't. If it's a fiberboard desk it can carry it but it will sag and over time it will become permanent. Try to put the base of the monitor close to a support or corner to minimize that.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
Also confirm that your desk is able to carry a 100 lb point load. If it's a tempered glass desk it probably can't. If it's a fiberboard desk it can carry it but it will sag and over time it will become permanent. Try to put the base of the monitor close to a support or corner to minimize that.
Or get a solid timber desktop ($$$) and/or a crossbraced metal framed desk ($$$) or, you know, look into wall mounting that sucker.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Make sure that you not only have room for that behemoth to fit on your desk/table/masochist servant's back, but that you can comfortably sit at its ideal viewing distance.
My desk does seem strong enough for 100 lb. I've had to climb on it to change out a clock battery and alls good. EDIT: And, it is 35.5" deep meaning the recommended min. viewing distance of 80 cm is met.
1667434545987.png
1667434708439.png

This, really? It is on my radar. I got about 15 months to try to make it all a reality: new PC and monitor.

Last edited:

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
So I've actually had a similar monitor having tried the Acer Predator X21 or whatever it was. The problem is that for you to enjoy the curve monitor periphery experience you kinda gotta be right in front of it, then the monitor is tall so you're cranking your neck constantly looking up. I rock a Samsung Odyssey G9 and I think its kinda just right though it kinda makes me miss Nvidia surround. Battlefield Bad Company 2 used to be insane with 3x27" monitors.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
So I've actually had a similar monitor having tried the Acer Predator X21 or whatever it was. The problem is that for you to enjoy the curve monitor periphery experience you kinda gotta be right in front of it, then the monitor is tall so you're cranking your neck constantly looking up. I rock a Samsung Odyssey G9 and I think its kinda just right though it kinda makes me miss Nvidia surround. Battlefield Bad Company 2 used to be insane with 3x27" monitors.
Acer Predator X21 is a pretty bad-ass looking laptop. I am asking myself if I want build my last gaming rig or just get a laptop like this.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
Acer Predator X21 is a pretty bad-ass looking laptop. I am asking myself if I want build my last gaming rig or just get a laptop like this.

That is cool, but no this was an actual monitor I think it was the XB1 43 inch 4k predator they made but it was big flop and discontinued. Big monitors are great but not really for like desktop PC gaming where you're supposed to sit like 2ft away. You end up constantly needing to look up and it starts to hurt your neck pretty quickly. Honestly I think the monitor in linus video is like more of a concept piece. Often these monitors or toys they come up with aren't really expected to sell to a lot of people. More to catch peoples eyes at trade shows and to show off what they can do. BIg honkers like the one in OPs post just make you question why you wouldn't just get a gaming TV instead. Trying to use that thing as a daily driver for school and work would be miserable.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
That is cool, but no this was an actual monitor I think it was the XB1 43 inch 4k predator they made but it was big flop and discontinued. Big monitors are great but not really for like desktop PC gaming where you're supposed to sit like 2ft away. You end up constantly needing to look up and it starts to hurt your neck pretty quickly. Honestly I think the monitor in linus video is like more of a concept piece. Often these monitors or toys they come up with aren't really expected to sell to a lot of people. More to catch peoples eyes at trade shows and to show off what they can do. BIg honkers like the one in OPs post just make you question why you wouldn't just get a gaming TV instead. Trying to use that thing as a daily driver for school and work would be miserable.
I use a Predator XB34 as my daily driver and I don’t have a big issue with it. However, I I’ve a corner desk that it sits pretty well against the wall on so I’m further away than I would be on a normal desk. I don’t think any bigger than 34inch would be feasible though. After that it’s televisions and you need television spaces.

Reactions: Piscian

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
I use a Predator XB34 as my daily driver and I don’t have a big issue with it. However, I I’ve a corner desk that it sits pretty well against the wall on so I’m further away than I would be on a normal desk. I don’t think any bigger than 34inch would be feasible though. After that it’s televisions and you need television spaces.
That was the one I was thinking of. I supposed if you can sit 3ft away it might ok for some. I just prefer the ultrawide screen over that taller viewing angle. I remember trying that XB34 for a day or two and had to return it was killing my neck playing games.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
That was the one I was thinking of. I supposed if you can sit 3ft away it might ok for some. I just prefer the ultrawide screen over that taller viewing angle. I remember trying that XB34 for a day or two and had to return it was killing my neck playing games.
The XB34 is an ultra wide. And it’s kinda short too compared to the two smaller screens that flank it on my desk.

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
My desk does seem strong enough for 100 lb. I've had to climb on it to change out a clock battery and alls good. EDIT: And, it is 35.5" deep meaning the recommended min. viewing distance of 80 cm is met.
View attachment 7331
View attachment 7332

This, really? It is on my radar. I got about 15 months to try to make it all a reality: new PC and monitor.
Those desks are super tough, I've had them at multiple site offices before - I think it's like the contractor gold standard for disposability vs durability. Just make sure you set the monitor to the back - the desk can carry it fine but we had one develop this permanent sort of sag after leaving a big pin on it over a break in construction.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Blimey that's big. The vertical multi-view idea would be cool if it wouldn't wreck my neck looking at stuff way up there. I could see that being useful horizontally though
Saw a video today... the guy's ceiling was too low to go vertical. One more thing to think about.
The guy I reference above loved how easy it was to cause the active view to shrink so that on this 55" monitor, it was like you were playing on a 37". Kinda defeats the point of having a 55"

My desk is 36" wide so, I may be able to sit far enough from it to enjoy.

Ooh. 75" TV for $1,200 with some great specs.

Maybe I need this :)

Happy April 1st.

Last edited: