The Schwartz Awakens as Mel Brooks Reveals Spaceballs 2 Plans

John Keefer

Devilish Rogue
Aug 12, 2013
The Schwartz Awakens as Mel Brooks Reveals Spaceballs 2 Plans

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1021/1021329.jpg

It is only appropriate that with a new Star Wars, there should come a new spoof, and Mel Brooks says that a Spaceballs sequel is in the early stages of development.

The 1987 film Spaceballs became a cult classic for actor/director Mel Brooks because it took the beloved Star Wars movies (before the prequel trilogy) and turned them upside down. From Rick Moranis as a wannabe Darth Vader to John Candy as the mawg Barfolomew, the movie pulled all the right strings to make us laugh or groan accordingly.

So it makes sense that with Disney's revival of Star Wars that Brooks would want to try to get the gang back together for a sequel to Spaceballs. That could prove a bit difficult as several of the original cast has either died (Candy, Dick Van Patten, Joan Rivers, Dom DeLuise) or stopped acting (Moranis). But that won't stop Brooks from making the effort.

On a recent Brooks said [http://theadamcarollashow.libsyn.com/podcast/tak-012-mel-brooks] that original writer Thomas Meehan had some ideas for a sequel.

"And I'm thinking now, if I said, if I did a movie that came out right after Star Wars comes out, you know,maybe a couple of months later, Spaceballs 2: The Search for More Money, I'd have a big weekend, you know, no matter what, even if it fell on its ass and you know, didn't get that money back," Brooks said on the podcast.

"But that first weekend, the anticipation of seeing Spaceballs 2, would, you know...I still have Daphne Zuniga and I still have Rick Moranis if he'd do it, and I've still got me."

And Bill Pullman ... and maybe the Winnebago. And it would better than the one year of Spaceballs: The Animated Series in 2008, right?

Source: EOnline [http://theadamcarollashow.libsyn.com/podcast/tak-012-mel-brooks]

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Let's hope these early plans get intercepted by the Empire.

Can't say a sequel to a nearly thirty-year old spoof fills me with much anticipation.

God willing they don't all come together for this one.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Wow...when I saw this headline I immediately said:

"No way. Nooooooo fucking waaaaaaaay."

Lord knows I love the Mel Brooks classics...but we needed a Spaceballs sequel back in the early to mid 90's...not in 2015.

.............................................eh, I'd still probably see it if it does come to fruition. :p

Edit: For crying out loud...Mel Brooks is frickin' 89 years old...he'll be 90 next June. o.o

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Err the last time he made a film was in 1995 Dracula: Dead and Loving It so I doubt his humour is up to date unless he has been keeping it up to date despite his age.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Now I'm scratching my head, thinking about what they are going to parody now. Spaceballs wasn't just a Star Wars parody. It parodied tropes and iconic moments from other sci-fi movies from that time too (like Alien and The Planet of the Apes). I wonder what they're going to add now.

Retsam19

Dec 6, 2010
I thought the sequel was supposed to be called "Spaceballs III: the Search for Spaceballs II".

COMaestro

Vae Victis!
May 24, 2010
Article needs to be fixed. It says "Bill Paxton" but Bill PULLMAN was in Spaceballs.

Li Mu

Oct 17, 2011
COMaestro said:
Article needs to be fixed. It says "Bill Paxton" but Bill PULLMAN was in Spaceballs.
I was just about to check IMDB to make sure I wasn't crazy and had completely missed Bill Paxton.

THM

Sep 27, 2014
When was there a Spaceballs cartoon?

It'd be neat to see a new Spaceballs movie, but...I dunno. Maybe.

SecondPrize

Mar 12, 2012
Scarim Coral said:
Err the last time he made a film was in 1995 Dracula: Dead and Loving It so I doubt his humour is up to date unless he has been keeping it up to date despite his age.
I don't think Mel Brooks needs lessons on comedy from anyone. I actually looked up his directing credits on IMDB too, 20 years is too long without any Brooks directed movies, but his acting and producing credits never stopped, he just hasn't been directing.

John Keefer

Devilish Rogue
Aug 12, 2013
COMaestro said:
Yup, my bad. I knew it was Pullman, just a brainfart. Fixed.

Space Jawa

Feb 2, 2010
CaitSeith said:
Now I'm scratching my head, thinking about what they are going to parody now. Spaceballs wasn't just a Star Wars parody. It parodied tropes and iconic moments from other sci-fi movies from that time too (like Alien and The Planet of the Apes). I wonder what they're going to add now.
It's not like there's a shortage of Sci-Fi right now - There's the numerous reboots we're getting (which is fodder for jokes by itself), we just had The Martian, there's Avatar from not that far back, Guardians of the Galaxy, Gravity, Interstellar; and that's just off the top of my head.

I'm sure there's plenty of fodder for Brooks to work with.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Space Jawa said:
CaitSeith said:
It's not like there's a shortage of Sci-Fi right now - There's the numerous reboots we're getting (which is fodder for jokes by itself), we just had The Martian, there's Avatar from not that far back, Guardians of the Galaxy, Gravity, Interstellar; and that's just off the top of my head.

I'm sure there's plenty of fodder for Brooks to work with.
Good! I certainly want to see if Mel Brooks still has it.

Redd the Sock

Apr 14, 2010
Early stages of development is usually too early to get excited for any movie, especially from someone that in all honesty, some of us were a bit surprised to learn was still alive, and is old enough to go at any moment.

Yeah, I'm a bit jaded. There were similar mullings when the prequels were winding down, and all we got was that animated show.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Really hope this new Spaceballs plays out like a spoof/ screwball comedy from the 70's or 80's instead of playing out like a modern day spoof...Man, that would be bad.

Vausch

Dec 7, 2009
THM said:
When was there a Spaceballs cartoon?

It'd be neat to see a new Spaceballs movie, but...I dunno. Maybe.
You don't want that answered. That was a dark spot on the concept.

Imre Csete

Original Character, Do Not Steal
Jul 8, 2010
Spaceballs doesn't need a sequel. How about History of the World: Part II instead?