The Schwartz Awakens as Mel Brooks Reveals Spaceballs 2 Plans

an annoyed writer

Exalted Lady of The Meep :3
Jun 21, 2012
I'm of two minds on this. I love Spaceballs as much as the next person(I mean hell, I saw it again in theaters twice last month), but at the same time? Look Mel, half of the cast is dead. D-E-A-D DEAD. And at least one of those actors (Candy) was what I'd probably consider the heart of the film. Those are some big shoes to fill. Maybe it'll work, maybe not, I dunno. They'll need to go far to make it work.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009

Spaceballs is my favorite!

There's a lot more material in the genre to spoof now too. Maybe it'll be a spoof on reboots?

I love you Mel. I doubt it'll hold a candle to the original but this is something I'm eager to see.

truckspond

Oct 26, 2013
Yogurt said:
God willing, we'll all meet again in Spaceballs 2: the Search for More Money
Looks like god may be willing after all. hopefully this one doesn't suck.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
i actually would watch this. shame about most actors though but if the new cast can pull it off, im in for the ride.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Casual Shinji said:
Can't say a sequel to a nearly thirty-year old spoof fills me with much anticipation.
Scarim Coral said:
Err the last time he made a film was in 1995 Dracula: Dead and Loving It so I doubt his humour is up to date unless he has been keeping it up to date despite his age.
MarsAtlas said:
Spaceballs: The Cash-in Sequel!

Yeah, it could be good if it were self-aware. It could go pretty far spoofing sequelitis, hype culture and the Hollywood film culture of today, and we all know that they could take the prequels for a wild ride, but I don't see many comedic actors of today that are a good fit for this type of humour.
Unfortunately, I think pretty much everything we need to know comes from the animated series. Which was awful. Many of the jokes missed the mark, and many more were rehashes of the original movie. If that's the sort of thing we can expect, than I hope nobody seriously pushes for this movie.

an annoyed writer said:
I'm of two minds on this. I love Spaceballs as much as the next person(I mean hell, I saw it again in theaters twice last month), but at the same time? Look Mel, half of the cast is dead. D-E-A-D DEAD. And at least one of those actors (Candy) was what I'd probably consider the heart of the film. Those are some big shoes to fill. Maybe it'll work, maybe not, I dunno. They'll need to go far to make it work.
I don't know, I'd say Moranis was more the heart of this one. I loves me some John Candy, but I think Dark Helment is what glued the film together.

Still, with a number of the prominent actors dead, it's at the least an uphill battle. That much I can agree on.
Imre Csete said:
Spaceballs doesn't need a sequel. How about History of the World: Part II instead?
And would they still use the "Jews In Space" song, given the similarities to the "Men In Tights" theme?

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
inu-kun said:
I hope we finally have a good spoof comedy after... at least a decade.
I don't know, I rather like the collaborations between Edgar Wright, Simon Pegg and Nick Frost (Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz and At World's End). Although those are more parodies of certain genres and its tropes as a whole than spoofs of any particular IPs within those genres.

But yeah, I agree. It has been a while since we had a spoof movie that doesn't just lazily make one mocking references fyar another to whatever is popular at the time without actually doing any witty with it.

Here's to hoping Mel Brooks still knows how it's done.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
There was an animated series? Maybe it's good I've never heard of it.

Does this mean we'll be seeing History of the World Part 2 soon? (JEWS! IN! SPACE!)

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
I'm sorry, I didn't think it was that funny when I was 11, I doubt I would enjoy a sequel now. I remember it as one of those movies that I tried to force to be funny because it so clearly wanted me to find it funny, but I just didn't laugh that much. It was lame and stupid and the jokes were shallow and obvious and cringe-inducing. Sometimes you have to love a movie that will keep trying to make you laugh, throwing everything at the wall to see what sticks, but sometimes you just want to go "Stop. Stop! STOP!!"

Mel Brooks can be absolutely hilarious when he's at the top of his game, like "Young Frankenstein" or "The Producers". And if you found "Spaceballs" funny, more power to you, I guess; god knows there's enough gloom in this world. But I won't be in the audience for a sequel.

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
Shoggoth2588 said:
Really hope this new Spaceballs plays out like a spoof/ screwball comedy from the 70's or 80's instead of playing out like a modern day spoof...Man, that would be bad.
You mean the ones where we all laugh cause they just referenced a thing?

If they did this I would hope they cast what they can of the originals like the new Star Wars does (which I haven't seen yet), more cameo appearances with the lead roles going to younger actors. I don't know if this is a good idea or not as I have no idea if he has any comedy chops, but I just got it in my head that a pouty Kit Harrington should have a role in this. Maybe as some kind of emo villain.

FirstNameLastName

Premium Fraud
Nov 6, 2014
With this news popping over the web I actually re-watched the original Spaceballs today to reassess the quality, since I remember being underwhelmed last time I watched it, and after a re-watch I have to say, it was ... well, it held my attention. There were a few funny moments throughout, but pretty much the only thing I found consistently funny were the repeated jabs at Star Wars' merchandising. A lot of the jokes were cringe-worthy puns, and others just don't make any sense at all. One of the characters, a clear reference to Yoda, is called Yogurt, and I'm left wondering where the joke is. Yeah, okay, both words start with Yo-, but where's the joke?
Some of the best moments, in my opinion, came from the 4th wall breaking jokes like the stunt-double scene, but overall I just don't really care for the type of humor in Spaceballs and I'm not really sure why.

Benpasko

Jul 3, 2011
RandV80 said:
Shoggoth2588 said:
Really hope this new Spaceballs plays out like a spoof/ screwball comedy from the 70's or 80's instead of playing out like a modern day spoof...Man, that would be bad.
You mean the ones where we all laugh cause they just referenced a thing?

If they did this I would hope they cast what they can of the originals like the new Star Wars does (which I haven't seen yet), more cameo appearances with the lead roles going to younger actors. I don't know if this is a good idea or not as I have no idea if he has any comedy chops, but I just got it in my head that a pouty Kit Harrington should have a role in this. Maybe as some kind of emo villain.
I could see this being good, as a parody of modern hollywood reboots. Get Rick Moranis in for a scene of them being too old to make a new movie, and then bring in a new cast for a 'reboot'. My picks would be Simon Pegg and Nick Frost as our plucky rebels, and Jonah Hill (As a new Dark Helmet type sith lord) and Channing Tatum (As the idiot new ruler of the empire). This could either be a very funny movie, or a total flop. Either way, I'll probably love it.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
A spoof movie? If it were anyone but you, Mel, I'd groan and say fuck off. Since it's you, though? Huzzah! More misadventures with the Spaceballs!

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
I'm all for this so long as Mel taps into that humor that made me laugh so hard I pissed my pants a bit... damn Jew makin me get all peepants in the theater... s'ok Mel, from one Hebro to another, I ain't mad.

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
Dalisclock said:
There was an animated series? Maybe it's good I've never heard of it.
THM said:
When was there a Spaceballs cartoon?
It aired on G4 back in 08. It wasn't very good. It mostly consisted of putting the Spaceballs case in parodies of other movies such as Lord of the Rings, Jurassic Park, Terminator and several others. Watch it if you want, but don't expect greatness.

Elvaril

Dec 31, 2010
Imre Csete said:
Spaceballs doesn't need a sequel. How about History of the World: Part II instead?
The title being "Part I" and the preview for Part II was a historical reference and joke. Sir Walter Raleigh was writing a series of books while he was in The Tower of London called "The History of the World." He was executed after only finishing the first book, hence the Part I. Brooks never intended to make a Part II.

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
Am I the only one who didn't find Spaceballs all that funny? Granted, I came in expecting something like the ZAZ movies and it was nothing like it, but still.

Apr 5, 2008
I would really love for this to be a thing. I'm surprised they never thought of the idea in the last 20 years or so. What does the OP mean Rick Moranis has "stopped acting"?

It is a shame about the passing of some of the films stars, but there's no reason they can't do good things with the the rest of the cast.