The search for "best" graphic

Siyano

May 9, 2020
Country
Canada
(I got this post idea because of Avengers got a lot of problem with there game really not running efficiently even if you had very good computer, heard people had very good vcomputer and game were running in the 30 fps average, I couldn't even have 5 fps average...)

In think the search for "best" graphic is just killing big budget game in a sense.
It getting to the point that it require so much investment and it is not worthwhile at all.
I think we are getting to a point developer need to stop in a way to get to use the newest graphic.
Back then I could have a computer that played game graphic without having to update so much, now my computer is barely 1 year old and I feel like it already on the low end of the demand, this is getting a bit crazy, the demand for games is growing way to much and doesn't give much more other than demanding super ridiculous computers.
I really feel like developer are painting themselves in a corner by always using the latest and biggest technology.

Is there really anyone or a need for the blade of grass look more realistic really? Or shadows, bloom effect, lens flare, hairs and whatnot? Yeah sure its better looking but really really not necessary at all.
Developer you really need to stop trying to be more and more "realistic" by adding way too demanding graphic and computer, you are going to kill your potential buyer by being too demanding.
Like Avenger just recently did for me.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I understand how you feel, but unfortunately you got all of these dicks in high positions, publisher or developer, that feed the mentality of high graphics above all else. Granted, the casual and hardcore, are just as guilty of this too. Western publishers and developers suffer from this the most. Plus, we are getting diminishing returns on graphics now. All I can recommend is you start going for AA or indie games now. Indie shows signs of never stopping, and AA games are on the rise again.

Last edited:

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Well, yeah, it really is heavily impacting the cost of creating games, but people want shiny really good graphics. I mean we saw people bitching over the graphics for Halo Infinite for not looking next gen enough. The aesthetic for it was fine, it was more of a clean style then a lot of games, but people want all the shiny bells and whistles.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Siyano

May 9, 2020
Country
Canada
Yeah, that why I never bought a AAA games since like D3 in 2012 or something, my last 40-50 games were indie and maybe AA in there

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I mean we saw people bitching over the graphics for Halo Infinite for not looking next gen enough. The aesthetic for it was fine, it was more of a clean style then a lot of games, but people want all the shiny bells and whistles.
You mean like this?!

Yeah, that why I never bought a AAA games since like D3 in 2012 or something, my last 40-50 games were indie and maybe AA in there
You mean Diablo III? Otherwise, I have no idea the game you just mentioned.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
The reason why graphic are so important is because customer use it as a proxy for game quality. Most customer don't have the time to follow game news and in dept playtrough, they buy a game once in awhile and when they do they just take a look at the trailer or official screenshot. Since it's impossible to judge the writing/gameplay quality in a 2 minute trailer, they judge the only thing they can and that's graphic. Then they figure if the company bothered to spend so much resource on graphic they probably spent just as much on writing and gameplay. Nothing is gonna change because customer won't suddenly start caring about what's happening under the company hood.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
You mean like this?!
Yeah pretty much, in fact I would bet the delay is due to them feeling like they have to put in more graphical bells and whistles because of fan backlash.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Avengers isn't a particularly good looking game though.

You're not having issues with it because the graphics are just so amazing that they're too taxing for everyone's hardware. The game is just poorly built and optimized, which is a very separate problem.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Avengers isn't a particularly good looking game though.

You're not having issues with it because the graphics are just so amazing that they're too taxing for everyone's hardware. The game is just poorly built and optimized, which is a very separate problem.
This. Max had to optimize his a certain way and gave it a custom filter similar to Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite just to look halfway decent.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
Best graphics already exist, they're the graphics in Guilty Gear Strive.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
You can't put improved AI, quality sound design, or polished gameplay in a screenshot. What you can do is use ever-more-high-fidelity graphics to draw in the crowd that just wants a prettier coat of paint on what they're already comfortable with. It's the lazy path to success.
I mean we saw people bitching over the graphics for Halo Infinite for not looking next gen enough.
Halo caught that flak because the XBox Whatever It Is has been hyping itself on "next-gen graphics".